Your Last Bike Before the CB?

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
This Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 was traded for my CB1100. It was a 2006 factory demo with 6000 miles and came with a full two year warranty from Piaggio. I liked this bike. It had a comfortable ride and handled beautifully after I replaced the OE Metzler tires with some Michelin PR2's. This Guzzi had the best sorted fuel injection of any bike I've ever ridden, very progressive and smooth like a perfectly calibrated carb equipped bike. Brakes were Brembos, powerful and easily modulated. Strangely, the motor was a bit gutless below 4000 rpm, something I did not expect of a V-twin with push rods. It was rough below 4000 but became nearly vibration free above that figure and produced very good power in the upper range. At low speeds I rarely got above third gear, keeping the revs up is the rule for comfort with this motor.

Problems-On the Guzzi forum I read that Brevas were equipped with plastic fuel filters that would swell and burst after a time causing a total loss of fuel pressure. On the first service my dealer checked the filter and it was replaced. The old filter was no longer cylindrical in shape but now looked like a small melon. The CARC (Guzzi's term for their rear drive) developed a seep that would coat the rear disc with oil, not good. I learned that rear drives were often over filled and draining off the excess was the cure. That worked but I would still get seepage at times. Problems with the instrument pod popped up. My display would disappear on longer rides but restarting the bike would always fix that.

When I read that Honda was bringing the CB1100 to the US I placed the Guzzi on Craig's list but after six months I had received little response and no serious offers. Fortunately, the Honda dealer in Jacksonville had recently taken on the Guzzi line and they were willing to do a trade. I was over my one and only Italian bike experience. It was pretty good for the most part.

4ebedb720ed04b93cb4a33e5d2f575ae.jpg


7b0079bc2e8bfd4cefa2d9e095ad6122.jpg


a83b5b70f6f395b12bb0153d0cab5a2c.jpg
 
You will see a lot of 750 nighthawks on this list.

<----------
 
My last bike was a very small but very fun Honda Grom. I'm 6' 4" with a 34" inseam but I was able to slide back on the seat for a good fit. It struggled to reach 60 mph on flat straights so it wasn't able to negotiate highways around Chicago.
 
1981 XJ650, done out as a cafe. Had only 80s bikes before the CB -- it was my first bike to have fuel injection and even a fuel gauge for that matter.
 
I had two.

A 1999 BMW R1100RT; and a Suzuki Burgman 650.

Before those two, I had a 2009 BMW R1200GS.

Before that, an old Honda GL500...the Silver Wing motorcycle; with the CX engine, full dress, Vetter-style fairing. Sold me on shaft drive.
 
I bought my CB October 2014. Until then I rode a BMW K1100RS over 20 years (look at my signature).

Before the beemer, I had several Yamaha, Honda and a Ducati. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 18 yo.
 
A relatively fresh Guzzi California, nice to ride, but not "everlasting"
in all important parts.

Wisedrum
 
2010 Honda Elite 110 scooter. Yeah, go ahead and laugh. But it was fun!

Before that a '87 Sportster 1100 sold in 2000. No bikes for 10 years and got back into it with the scooter.
 
i have been riding for about 14 years. my wife also rides (we started riding at the same time taking the class together). she has a 2005 sportster 883l and a kawasaki ER6n that is now oficially hers and not a "shared" cycle.
started on my wifes honda rebel (her 1st cycle) for a few weeks until we got a suzuki savage (her 2nd cycle). when she was ready to move up to the savage (after a summer) i got myself a honda nighthawk. it just wasn't right for me at that time so i got rid of it and got another savage for myself. rode that until i got a 2003 sportster 883R.
the cb1100 was an addition to the stable.
 
Traded my 2004 Bonneville America for a 2001 HD FLHTCUI even up and used the funds from selling the Harley (after detail and some parts replacement) to buy the CB1100. I also currently own a 77 KZ1000 and a 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT.



 
Thread starter
DJS_imp said:
i have been riding for about 14 years. my wife also rides (we started riding at the same time taking the class together). she has a 2005 sportster 883l and a kawasaki ER6n that is now oficially hers and not a "shared" cycle.
started on my wifes honda rebel (her 1st cycle) for a few weeks until we got a suzuki savage (her 2nd cycle). when she was ready to move up to the savage (after a summer) i got myself a honda nighthawk. it just wasn't right for me at that time so i got rid of it and got another savage for myself. rode that until i got a 2003 sportster 883R.
the cb1100 was an addition to the stable.
The Savage has quite a cult following with some and the Savage forum is an interesting read. This is what I did with a Savage.

a025e555cc32def27c354b92ac794612.jpg


eb104ee75d362b38e872432dfda492c0.jpg
 
Won't go into the endless list of bikes over the last 40+ years...my very last bike was a 2001 Harley CVO Screaming Eagle Road Glide. Owned both the Harley and CB for a year and a half and finally decided to sell the Harley this year since the CB was getting all my ride time. :biker:
 
When we had our store I was buying a new bike every 6 mo. to a year mostly for display of Acc. .
The last one was a Kaw ER6n , we did not really have a lot of time to ride with having the store. I ER was alright but I never liked the motor very much. I was hoping it would be a little like the early SV650 we had. - One of my favs of all time.
 
redbirds_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
i have been riding for about 14 years. my wife also rides (we started riding at the same time taking the class together). she has a 2005 sportster 883l and a kawasaki ER6n that is now oficially hers and not a "shared" cycle.
started on my wifes honda rebel (her 1st cycle) for a few weeks until we got a suzuki savage (her 2nd cycle). when she was ready to move up to the savage (after a summer) i got myself a honda nighthawk. it just wasn't right for me at that time so i got rid of it and got another savage for myself. rode that until i got a 2003 sportster 883R.
the cb1100 was an addition to the stable.
The Savage has quite a cult following with some and the Savage forum is an interesting read. This is what I did with a Savage.

a025e555cc32def27c354b92ac794612.jpg


eb104ee75d362b38e872432dfda492c0.jpg
nice. wish i had the skills to do that.
always wanted this one...


i was a member on a savage forum long time ago.
at americade one year when the mrs and i were both on our savages we ran into the sister ( i think) of the forum founder.


on mine i changed the rear a bit...

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/00savage/PDC_0022.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/library/00savage?sort=3&page=1]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/...t=3&page=1
 
Back
Top