You won't believe it nor do i

Mikestib1_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Dealer delivered my 2013 at noon. By 1:30 and 3 blocks from my house, I hit some fuel oil thanks to a tanker truck delivering heating oil, taking a 90 degree right turn. Within a second my bike was down on the ashphalt. I'm not sure about the loss of traction but I revisited the crash site and there were oil spots in the turn wasn't hurt but almost wished I were. Gas was leaking but it stopped once a Good Samaritan helped me pick up the bike.im wondering now if a fuel leak happened prior to the get off. Anyhow at least I could ride it home and no obvious physical injury thanks to gloves and a textile jacket. Damage to the bike, a bar end a mirror, the muffler, the rear brake pedal, the right side engine cover and inspection cap. Everything was fine and then it was like the rear tire hit an ice patch. So po'd I can't tell you. From pristine to crashed in 3 minutes. I've been riding for 50 years and I guess it was time for a crash. It still sucks. Anyone with a good Honda parts source, thank you in advance. Otherwise I'll find an aluminum repair shop for the engine side cover, replace the muffler with a slip on, but not before I straighten the rear brake pedal, check for fuel leaks, and try going around the block again!
 
Mikestib1_imp said:
Dealer delivered my 2013 at noon. By 1:30 and 3 blocks from my house, I hit some fuel oil thanks to a tanker truck delivering heating oil, taking a 90 degree right turn. Within a second my bike was down on the ashphalt. I'm not sure about the loss of traction but I revisited the crash site and there were oil spots in the turn wasn't hurt but almost wished I were. Gas was leaking but it stopped once a Good Samaritan helped me pick up the bike.im wondering now if a fuel leak happened prior to the get off. Anyhow at least I could ride it home and no obvious physical injury thanks to gloves and a textile jacket. Damage to the bike, a bar end a mirror, the muffler, the rear brake pedal, the right side engine cover and inspection cap. Everything was fine and then it was like the rear tire hit an ice patch. So po'd I can't tell you. From pristine to crashed in 3 minutes. I've been riding for 50 years and I guess it was time for a crash. It still sucks. Anyone with a good Honda parts source, thank you in advance. Otherwise I'll find an aluminum repair shop for the engine side cover, replace the muffler with a slip on, but not before I straighten the rear brake pedal, check for fuel leaks, and try going around the block again!
I do believe it. You could ride it home, you weren't hurt, it can be repaired.

Best thing to do now, figure out exactly why you fell. You were alone, no one else caused it.

This is exactly why I always push training, refresher training, and then more training.

Also why I am getting OEM engine guards. Stuff happens.

I like bikebandit.com and Babbit's Parts House, they vary on price but one or the other will get you squared away.:thumbsup:
 
Hondapartshouse.com, partszilla.com and partsfish.com are some others.

Glad you were ATGATT.

Might be able to get some parts in the for sale section. You may need 25 posts to get in to it though.
 
Holy smokes that stinks. Glad you are ok. At least it was single vehicle, you were going slow and you were geared up. Count our blessings.
 
That sucks Mikestib1. Glad you're OK.
 
Yep that sucks, sorry!
Only time I've been down is when I hit a patch of sand in an intersection while turning....went down so quickly I couldn't believe it ..... Been shy of leaning the bike much ever since.
Once bitten twice shy I guess.
 
So sorry to hear this. I would be very upset. Road hazards are always present, but another factor could have been that your brand new tires weren't scrubbed in yet, which poses a different kind of traction hazard. As a longtime rider I'm sure you were already aware of this, but it bears repeating: be careful with new tires.
 
I feel tires with my hand and if they do not cause enough friction with my skin I replace them with softer tires. Touring tires last, but I find them sometimes hard as a rock and thus not as good in corners. My Michelin Pilot Road 2's are battle tested and these things lean like the Tower of Pisa. No brakes into a 90 degree right no problem. I've seen my share of oil, tranny fluid and trash truck ooze on the road. Slippery stuff indeed!
 
You probably just dialed up the power a bit and out she came, hit a slippery spot. Torque is deceptive on this bike. These days, chemical adhesion is replacing mechanical adhesion with respect to rubber compounds so the old fingernail test doesn't really work any more. Stock tires are very grippy, either Dunlop or Bridgestone. PR2's are good tires, no worries there.

Decent rubber and clean pavement this bike is not going to step out under power unless you are dialing it up at high lean angles, but hit a bit of sand, water, oil, and it's going to be instantaneous, the bike is heavy. So, easy on the throttle when it looks suspicious.
 
Thread starter
Haven't responded and even though I rode it home and only have some sore ribs and a fractured pinky. I'm still so mad .....
Thanks for the support. Made me feel a little better but sorry others have had the same experience.
Straightened the brake pedal hobbled down to the garage and rode it today so I wouldn't let the incident take me over. Hey, didn't even crash but been dang observant
 
There is a video of a Brit reporter doing one of the first test rides on the CB1100 and he dumped the bike going around a turn due to fuel in the road. Can happen to anyone.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Worked at a dealer and saw many new and old riders dump their
new bikes in the parking lot. I also dumped a bike at speed hitting
silca sand in a corner. Glad to here you weren't hurt to bad.
Tipped a brand new bike over inside a van once also.
 
Elipten_imp said:
There is a video of a Brit reporter doing one of the first test rides on the CB1100 and he dumped the bike going around a turn due to fuel in the road. Can happen to anyone.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here's a link to the video:
 
Thread starter
Any how I called the dealer to see if they could make me a deal on the replacement parts. Wrong! I bought the same parts including shipping from Babbitsonline for a lot less. The dealer I bought the bike from took off 10 percent. Babbits was cheaper by a lot and also less than BikeBandit including my AMA discount.
 
Back
Top