Yea,wheels are done!

FLYTYM_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I bought the hubs and all associated part from Samurider and sent the hubs to Buchanan Spoke and Rim to have a custom set of rims built. The rims are polished Excel brand with polished SS spokes and nipples,the sizes are 19-2.5 and 17-4.25. I wanted to have the rims chrome plated but couldn’t get a solid guarantee the chrome wouldn’t peel so just went with polished. The price for all of this,BRUTAL. There’s a short video on there Facebook page of one of the wheels.
 
Here's some pictures from Instagram.

186a77d41ca2afb89d182b0d99edbf21.jpg


41fda9381b77653f359a5e34726c4d68.jpg


bc5fdceff6fa04df4c0cd363c1842a97.jpg


Go here and there's even a couple of videos of them spinning the wheels.

They look fantastic, FLYTM. Pty you won't be able to sit comfortably on the bike for a bit. :D
 
Wow, those look fantastic.

Spokes look so classic. Is this the main reason they often appear more desirable than the best solid aluminum/alloys?

Are they more tedious to clean?

Is frequent re-tensioning or checking required?
 
Beautiful, just beautiful.
 
Buchanan chose well in lacing the front 3-cross, the rear 2-cross. Beautiful wheels, they will make the rest of your bike glow!!
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Wow, those look fantastic.

Spokes look so classic. Is this the main reason they often appear more desirable than the best solid aluminum/alloys?

Are they more tedious to clean?

Is frequent re-tensioning or checking required?
The main reason I put these together was because of the specific sizes I wanted and the wheels go with the theme I’m after,a bike from 30 years ago brought into the present. Samurider has some gorgeous cast wheels but there aren’t any size options,one size fits all.
 
FLYTYM,
tell us more about this project.Is it for 2014,2013 model?How are you planning to do axle/swing arm?I will be doing same thing shortly.
thanks
 
Thread starter
My plans are nothing drastic,back when I was a kid the style of bike that was popular was a big Japanese 4 cylinder,lowered in the back with a nice meaty rear tire,Kerker header,short bars etc. My bike is a 2014 Standard,no frame modifications or anything over the top,just a nice comfortable cruiser. Other modifications in store,make my own slipon muffler,repaint all the black engine covers in my secret textured finish put a mini fairing on it if I can find one I like and paint the bike 1986 Corvette Medium Brown Metallic and a seat from a 2017 RS I’d it will fit on the bike. I’ve got a 1981 750K that I’ve had since new,a major project I’ve been working on for years,a lot of the things I’m building into that bike are on the 1100 right out of the box. I understand my concept here isn’t for everybody,that’s OK but it will be one people will have a hard time figuring out.
 
FLYTYM_imp said:
My plans are nothing drastic,back when I was a kid the style of bike that was popular was a big Japanese 4 cylinder,lowered in the back with a nice meaty rear tire,Kerker header,short bars etc. My bike is a 2014 Standard,no frame modifications or anything over the top,just a nice comfortable cruiser. Other modifications in store,make my own slipon muffler,repaint all the black engine covers in my secret textured finish put a mini fairing on it if I can find one I like and paint the bike 1986 Corvette Medium Brown Metallic and a seat from a 2017 RS I’d it will fit on the bike. I’ve got a 1981 750K that I’ve had since new,a major project I’ve been working on for years,a lot of the things I’m building into that bike are on the 1100 right out of the box. I understand my concept here isn’t for everybody,that’s OK but it will be one people will have a hard time figuring out.
keep us posted with pictures,interesting project
 
Thread starter
sonnyb_imp said:
FLYTYM_imp said:
My plans are nothing drastic,back when I was a kid the style of bike that was popular was a big Japanese 4 cylinder,lowered in the back with a nice meaty rear tire,Kerker header,short bars etc. My bike is a 2014 Standard,no frame modifications or anything over the top,just a nice comfortable cruiser. Other modifications in store,make my own slipon muffler,repaint all the black engine covers in my secret textured finish put a mini fairing on it if I can find one I like and paint the bike 1986 Corvette Medium Brown Metallic and a seat from a 2017 RS I’d it will fit on the bike. I’ve got a 1981 750K that I’ve had since new,a major project I’ve been working on for years,a lot of the things I’m building into that bike are on the 1100 right out of the box. I understand my concept here isn’t for everybody,that’s OK but it will be one people will have a hard time figuring out.
keep us posted with pictures,interesting project
keep us posted with pictures,interesting project I do need to figure out how to post pictures. My taillight modification is coming out really nice.
 
what is your plan with a rear wheel and swing arm?I understand some people had to fabricate bushings because an axle is thinner. Did you perhaps find a better solutions?
FLYTYM,
PM sent
 
Thread starter
sonnyb_imp said:
what is your plan with a rear wheel and swing arm?I understand some people had to fabricate bushings because an axle is thinner. Did you perhaps find a better solutions?
FLYTYM,
PM sent
The axel is included with the rear hub,at additional cost of course.
 
Thread starter
I got the wheels and my are they GORGEOUS! These things shine like crazy,hopefully I’ll get them on the bike this weekend,without any hiden surprises.
 
FLYTYM_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
and most important : PICS, please :)
I’m supposed to get the tires mounted tomorrow,when I get them outside I’ll get a few pictures.
I’m supposed to get the tires mounted tomorrow,when I get them outside I’ll get a few pictures.
OK, I will wait..and do not forget to take a pic of your plane, please:P
 
Back
Top