Yamaha Upgrades the FJR1300

redbirds_imp said:
Yamaha has made some important changes to it's aging sport-tourer. Too bad Honda doesn't counter with a new ST using the the V4 from the VFR1200. Best upgrade on the Yam is a new 6 speed with a taller top gear.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300A and FJR1300ES - FIRST LOOK REVIEW
I owned a 2008 FJR for a short spell. Although I never quite bonded with it, it was a fantastic bike for distance touring. The acceleration was, for me, nearly terrifying...much more than I ever needed. And even though I lean towards more retro-styled bikes, I found the FJR more than acceptable in the looks department. The adjustable windshield was a marvel, the integrated luggage perfectly executed, and the ride was wonderfully composed in nearly any conditions. All that said, about 12 months into owning it, I took my first spin on a Bonneville and the FJR was on Craigslist the next day :) In my mind, I think of my DLX as sort of a middle ground between the FJR and Bonneville, if that makes any sense...
 
In 2006 I took an extended test ride on the FJR with my wife. She loved it. Me not so much. I found it tall, top heavy, not confidence inspiring when entering a turn, the clutch was stiff, the throttle was stiff. I came back to the shop and said " order me an ST 1300". I didn't even test ride one...and loved it immediately on the ride home after picking it up. I've only grown more fond of the bike as it has carried me and my wife to every corner of this country and back, safely and comfortably. On this afternoon's ride it will turn over 64,000 miles.

In 2014 I again test rode a new FJR. This time the ES model with all the electronic features. It was ok, about the same as I remembered only the clutch and throttle issues had been resolved. Still when the test ride ended and I rode home on my ST 1300, I felt my current bike infinitly better.

This year a friend of mine bought a used FJR. On one of our rides we switched bikes for about an hour. Again I was not impressed and couldn't wait to get my ST back.

I think the FJR is a beautiful motorcycle.. Stunning looks. Plenty of power. Plenty of features. I love big I-4 engines, so this bike should suit me to a T. For some reason it just doesn't.

Btw my buddies FJR is now up for sale. He really likes the bike but says during the summer, the heat coming off the bike just cooks him. I didn't notice the heat when I rode it that I recall.

I know there has been a call from FJR owners for a 6 th gear in the trans. (although certainly not needed) Same call on the ST from owners..(not needed there either...just like our CB 1100s) so that should make FJR owners happy.
 
Thread starter
My experience with the Yamaha is similar to yours Micky, perhaps because we are both men of average height, LOL. After checking out both bikes, I preferred the ST even though I liked the FJR very much also. After a year and a half, I sold my ST and bought a Triumph Tiger 1050. The heat problems I experienced riding the ST in the hot and humid Georgia summer and the problem of pushing a 700lb+ bike around the garage forced my hand.
 
Yea Steve, the weight of the ST..Ugggg. Imagine if it weighed around 550 pounds instead of over 700. It's getting to me too and eventually when my wife quits riding I'm going to downsize to an Versys 650 or SV 650, or Wee Strom or FJ09 or NC700. Something around the 400 pound mark. Then my CB1100 will be my " big bike" at nearly 600 pounds ( but it sure doesn't feel like it) especially compared to the ST.
 
I had a 2005 FJR I bought in 07 and traded for my 650 V-strom in 09. I loved it, but it was way more bike than I needed. I never took it on any trips and it was a bit heavy for the mostly back road riding I do. I wish I had kept my KLR I had before the FJR. Those and the CB would be the perfect trio. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with my current stable.

When I owned the FJR, I alway wanted a 6th gear even though it was plenty relaxed at 80 in 5th. My dad had a 2000 Kawi Concours which had a 6 speed. I mostly wa jealous that a bike designed in 1985 had one more gear than my state of the art sport tourer. It was actually the Concourse that got me hooked on inline 4 cylinder bikes.

The FJR is a rocket. It felt like the Hand of God was shoving you into eternity when you went wide open and to redline. Frightening and addicting at the same time. One morning on my way to work at the motorcycle dealer, a coworker rolled up next to me at the stop light about 100 yards from the entrance to the dealer. He was on a Suzuki GSX-R1000 and I was dumb enough to try to race him to the entrance. When the light went green, I feathered the clutch with about 1/2 throttle. About halfway through the intersection, the clutch was out and I whacked open the throttle. She found traction and went up on the back wheel. Scared the bajeezus out of me because usually it would just spin the tire.

It was too much power for an inept 25 year old. It's probably still too much for an inept 33 year old. The 85 hp on my CB is plenty. Still, it was nice to have all that power in reserve so you never really needed to downshift to pass.
 
As a recovering Concours 1000 owner and current 18-year owner of a K1200RS, I'm fond of big, powerful sport-touring bikes, but like most, I'm beginning to notice the weight. Hence, my F800GT. It doesn't offer the power or stability of any of these bigger bikes, but its 90 hp and 460 lb wet weight with bags is refreshing, sufficient, and very satisfying. The K1200RS, with 130,000 miles on the clock, may be put up for sale next year as a result, but it's a bike I promised myself I'd never sell, so we'll see. Glad the FJR has been updated, not discontinued.
 
Sport tourers are just plain sexy.
Love the concept of long weekends cruising the fun roads and being able to slab with ease. Weight issues - always a factor with age.
The perfect number of bikes to own somehow always equals n+1.
 
It's good news it's to be continued. It's a good bike.
 
If I had spare money and place this would sit next to my CB for sure.
The pinnacle of sports touring, especially with all the latest upgrades.

Only the BMW K1600 can top this bike in gizmos and performance (?).
But Yamaha beats the beemer in reliability.

If I was to own one someday, it would have to be the automatic AS version.
 
I've always admired the FJR from afar. The old FJ1100/FJ1200 were sexy too. Unfortunately I never had a chance to ride any of them.

Like ferret, I own an ST1300. I love the ST, but hate the weight of it. I'm also mildly annoyed by the inability to read the ST's information display in daylight conditions.
That said; there is no other bike I'd rather jump on for a ride to Montana for a cup of coffee.
I've done 1000 mile days on my ST, and can say there is no equal... well, there was my beloved ST1100 that would eat miles and miles, but that's another story :-)



TINK
 
You know, it's funny. Really. We, as a generalisation, can't even agree about what oil to use so what's the chance of agreeing on a bike. I respect Ferret's opinion greatly but I prefer the FJR to the ST. To me the ST felt very "homely", very comfortable, but I preferred that little bit of bite that goes with the FJR. Ah well, each to their own, I guess.

Cheers, and enjoy your ride, whatever it may be.
 
First Ride Review: 2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES

The reviews seem very positive for the 2016 FJR1300.

My main peeve is that Canada will not be getting the nice shade of Blue destined for USA.
Canada only gets a dismal Dark Gray for 2016!
The previous version came to Canada in the highly coveted Chocolate Brown!
Who makes these abysmal color choices for the Canadian market!
 
The FJR is certainly a beautiful motorcycle and the ES version is near the top of my list for bike #2.

However, the versys 1000 LT is significantly cheaper, lighter and perhaps a more comfortable riding position for me.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
You know, it's funny. Really. We, as a generalisation, can't even agree about what oil to use so what's the chance of agreeing on a bike. I respect Ferret's opinion greatly but I prefer the FJR to the ST. To me the ST felt very "homely", very comfortable, but I preferred that little bit of bite that goes with the FJR. Ah well, each to their own, I guess.

Cheers, and enjoy your ride, whatever it may be.
Even if it has big ugly heads sticking out the sides ? :P
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
First Ride Review: 2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES

The reviews seem very positive for the 2016 FJR1300.

My main peeve is that Canada will not be getting the nice shade of Blue destined for USA.
Canada only gets a dismal Dark Gray for 2016!
The previous version came to Canada in the highly coveted Chocolate Brown!
Who makes these abysmal color choices for the Canadian market!
The Yamaha Canada website shows 2 color choices, grey & blue: http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/deta...C&catId=79

I agree with you...that blue is really nice. Now that blue is available in Canada, there's no excuses....you have to buy one :P.

I wonder if wind management on the FJR is as good as the ST?
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
First Ride Review: 2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES

The reviews seem very positive for the 2016 FJR1300.

My main peeve is that Canada will not be getting the nice shade of Blue destined for USA.
Canada only gets a dismal Dark Gray for 2016!
The previous version came to Canada in the highly coveted Chocolate Brown!
Who makes these abysmal color choices for the Canadian market!
at least they got the CB11 color right Gumby!
;)
 
Back
Top