XR650L

The stock sprocket is much thinner than the length of the spline and have room to float to self center. The aftermarket sprockets have a wider shoulder that spread the load out over the splines better to prevent the wear and centers the chain properly. I can get a picture of the difference Sunday.

Thank you Kenny; I would like to see that picture.

FYI: I adjusted the chain to the factory recommended tension (1 3/8 to 1 3/4) and it is too tight! I verified this by compressing the rear suspension until there was a straight line through the centerline of the drive shaft, the swing arm pivot, and the rear axle. At 1 3/4 inches of slack, with the suspension compressed, there is no free play. I thought this was why the splines were stripped off the drive shaft where the sprocket mounts when I got the bike.
 
Thread starter
I started to replace the stator cover only to realize I should have also ordered one bearing and three dowel pins since they are pressed in the old cover.
af6b90fb97ad38dc904544a00c968e1f.jpg


06ea570c6626813eb4a860c3cb3b388b.jpg
3c7e6679c7b4988dc23f3a0ab227a11e.jpg


6da6b3e63866a7fe6edbdd1af51e84b8.jpg

But the new cover looks great.

07bcfc87ef9a9e030565768621ca09c4.jpg
 
I seem to recall (but don't take too much stock in my memory) that the dowels will come out. No mar pliers should pull them out. .

The bearing on the other hand; in theory should come out but in your case a new bearing is probably the best coarse to take.
There are higher output after market stators to be had (I put one in my bike after the original stator started to fail) so you can run things like heated gear. Not too expensive either. :)
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I seem to recall (but don't take too much stock in my memory) that the dowels will come out. No mar pliers should pull them out. .

The bearing on the other hand; in theory should come out but in your case a new bearing is probably the best coarse to take.
There are higher output after market stators to be had (I put one in my bike after the original stator started to fail) so you can run things like heated gear. Not too expensive either. :)
I had to order the bearing anyway, the dowels were only a couple dollars more, and it won't go together any quicker than the order with the bearing so I went ahead and ordered them to make install less fuss.

Not sure I care enough about a stator today but it would be easier to replace at the moment...
 
With my luck, those darn dowels wouldn't come out and you'd have to wait for another order! LOL

Ya, the only reason I mentioned it now - it's already apart.
 
Thread starter
I received all the parts and put together the stator cover. I also ordered a valve cover gasket since I noticed a small oil leak but broke two bolts removing it. Now waiting for the replacements to arrive.
e3b6e7fc5c9675497fb3a19ebad8ad29.jpg
fb01744001cc352d0ebbfb160a881f67.jpg
ca7b2f83adcd37d1b84797fbc9ac5317.jpg
 
kennyw_imp said:
More progress today. It's starting to look like a bike again. I have parts on order for the engine that will be here around Wednesday. I'll be able to get the engine cleaned up and back in when they arrive.

3ccd0cf1855e110d8fdc0757b409591f.jpg
f6cd975ae727e08ffc546e1796b49f10.jpg
Awesome progress so far kennyw. What tires are these? They look gnarly. Are they DoT?
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
kennyw, hey, how's this bike renovation going?
Stuck on one broken bolt still. Then side tracked on other projects... I need to get back to it this weekend.
 
Thread starter
Finally making some progress. I bought a used head a couple months ago, reassembled the motor last week, and started reassembly last night.

Still need to finish the fuel system and chain drive today but getting close finally.

6d310078afcc8e94a1d95753c163ffd5.jpg
213c9ccce44a41904b2211e6b44777b2.jpg
d1a7e45cc5cf274fa129aed3b7d311f5.jpg
03747ec2f23f53c1a61f8785ccb85953.jpg
3a388cc5b40e24b86f2f0bef74517f90.jpg
a81ec147fd34930f89b799d880f88f0a.jpg
30c0bdad251c23254fe607b7cc388a1e.jpg


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Yesterday, carb installed and chain drive rebuilt. Had to order new exhaust gaskets and a couple more small parts before I can finish.
561606dbb235cea7cc2017162c7fae1f.jpg


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
New arrival.

35d39f3f0f0f4a9255c73ce904fc0969.jpg


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 
Got a planned ride for tomorrow - meeting at 4AM which means I need to leave at 3:30AM - I just might end up with a huge desire for that headlight! Very keen on a ride report on that bulb when you get a chance.

Which reminds me, I have a weeping head gasket, need to retorque my head bolts. Too lazy to dive in there right now.

Hey! Finish this project already! :D
 
Back
Top