XR650L or XR400 or XR250

Jeephoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just sold my KLR to buy my '14 CB1100 DLX and I love this bike. I decided I needed three bikes; my CB1100 street/tourer, a street legal dirt bike for jeep trails, dirt roads & some singletrack, and my TLR trials/very tight trails bike.

I want to stay all Honda, so my candidates are XR's (250 or 400) with Baja Designs kit or the already street-legal XR650L. I like the E-start on the XRL.

I'm 5'8", 30" inseam, 175 lbs & 58 years old. I don't go fast, just putter around and explore.

Can anyone offer insight or opinion?
 
Jeephoto, sadly I can afford only one bike, and it's a CB1100. Luckily, I'm very happy with that.

Good luck with your musings. I'm sure there's a Honda to meet your every need.
 
I've been wanting a dp bike for quite some time. It MUST be a Honda (although the new KLR650 almost pulls my strings),
but this 80's model XL600R is the only bike I would go in to debt for. In to debt means if I could find one in pristine shape I would buy it and sacrifice modding my 1100 for. (Yea, right!!!). Can't wait to see long long that commitment would last!! :-)
The only reason I haven't aggressively pursued one is that it is kick start only. Just don't know how long my 60 y/o abused knees could handle owning one in real life. Dang, she is purty though!

That red engine and gold fork legs/rims are better that a bowl of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla with a bottle of Hershey's on top! :D :heart:
 
Inline4_imp said:
I've been wanting a dp bike for quite some time. It MUST be a Honda (although the new KLR650 almost pulls my strings),
but this 80's model XL600R is the only bike I would go in to debt for. In to debt means if I could find one in pristine shape I would buy it and sacrifice modding my 1100 for. (Yea, right!!!). Can't wait to see long long that commitment would last!! :-)
The only reason I haven't aggressively pursued one is that it is kick start only. Just don't know how long my 60 y/o abused knees could handle owning one in real life. Dang, she is purty though!

That red engine and gold fork legs/rims are better that a bowl of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla with a bottle of Hershey's on top! :D :heart:

They sell Blue Bell in Tennessee? I always thought it was a Texas thing...

I never understood the red engine on these. It always looked like someone rattle canned it. Maybe I am used to seeing the red paint worn and flaking off and thinking it looked like a cheap rattle can job. These bikes are going on 30 years, so that's to be expected. Powder coat might be the way to go with restoring one.
 
Jeephoto_imp said:
I just sold my KLR to buy my '14 CB1100 DLX and I love this bike. I decided I needed three bikes; my CB1100 street/tourer, a street legal dirt bike for jeep trails, dirt roads & some singletrack, and my TLR trials/very tight trails bike.

I want to stay all Honda, so my candidates are XR's (250 or 400) with Baja Designs kit or the already street-legal XR650L. I like the E-start on the XRL.

I'm 5'8", 30" inseam, 175 lbs & 58 years old. I don't go fast, just putter around and explore.

Can anyone offer insight or opinion?
I'd go with the 650L just for the electric start. They are tall bikes, but I doubt any taller than the 400. Having that little magic button is nice when you stall the bike in a dip where the ground is a little farther down than you expect.
EmptySea_imp said:
What's a DP bike?
Dual purpose
 
I have no experience with the smaller XRs, but I've owned a 2006 XR650L since late last summer. I'm a few inches taller than you, but still only a 31-32 inseam. The guy I bought mine from had installed a lowering link and raised the fork tubes an inch, but it's light enough that I don't think I'd have any problems at full height. I've left it alone for now, though.

So far it seems like a great bike (I've only put about 300 miles on it). I know it's heavy compared to "real" dirtbikes, but it makes my buddy's KLR feel like a pig. Much less work offroad. It's no hot rod, but everything I've read indicates that the engine is bulletproof...and really, the power is totally adequate, esp down low (mine's had the emissions stuff taken off, full exhaust, airbox mod, and re-jet). Mine's also down a tooth on the front sprocket, which I like for offroad....not so much on the highway. It also has a Clarke 4.5 gallon (I believe) tank...which seems like a must if you're gonna go any distance at all.

Otherwise...I found the oil change process kind of weird/awkward the first time (though maybe it's standard stuff for dirtbikes). A lot of the oil is actually stored in the frame. Was glad I had the manual for that. I'm considering a fairly serious offroad trip w/ it this summer. If I do that, I'll probably install an oil cooler. Meantime, it's nice having a dipstick oil temp gauge (I think that's one of the most common mods).

Since they've been around essentially unchanged forever, most people seem to say that overall condition is more important than model year. Here are a couple of pics of mine. I installed a CRF230L front fender...never liked the look of the original. In the second pic I'd just ridden through that "lake" behind the bike...churned up a bunch of gunk, and the smell was horrendous. Good times.

Btw...those reflectors on the front forks are off my CB1100. The originals were long gone, and I needed a set to pass MD safety inspection :)





[url=http://s103.photobucket.com/user/pechorin75/media/IMG_0720_PS_zpsylwpgfla.jpg.html]
 
I've owned a XR650L (2008, bought new) for about four years now. At 1600 miles the motor toasted because the dealer messed up the oil feed line into the lower strainer causing it to kink and restrict oil flow. &*%$#@

Fix, added an oil cooler to be on the safe side (thumper talk.com) after reading thread on oils and how they broke down - in the 650L after about 500 miles until a cooler was installed. Since you are in Texas I highly recommend one (Sutton is your man, he's in Scottsdale and his instructions will impress the heck out you).

CDI will strand you when the solder joints cold work and crack. Easy fix but a PITA.

No cush drive so if you do a lot of road riding you will ruin the counter shaft with a stock L counter sprocket. Get a cush drive or upgrade to 650R counter sprocket (just ordered mine this week as I'm going to 95% road).

Just recently the pulse generator went belly up, cheap fix again, but annoying - again.

Mileage sucks for a bike with only a 650cc single sucked too - about 35mpg. Bought a arcibis 5.8gal gas tank to get reasonable range. Before, I'd be on reserve at 80 miles!

This has been the most unreliable bike I have ever owned. I have so much money into her I don't dare sell it. Got to get some use out of it.

I have a 36" inseam and can flat foot her and bought her because I found the 570lb Quota was NOT a dirt bike for a guy with my limited dirt skills, shady back and advancing age. The 650L was about 200lbs lighter. Not nearly enough weight loss as she is still a heavy pig.

I have bought a second set of wheels so knobbies are one set, dual sport sport tires on the others. I've added wolf man side racks (no longer made!), Giant Loop tank bag, bark buster hand guards (worth it!), EXP fat handle bars (love 'em but so fat you can't get farkles to fit) and now a NC windscreen - really enjoying it. Perhaps a custom seat next.

After the engine rebuild I had the 2nd gear upgraded to the one from the NX650, not so big of a jump, rejetted and added the UNI air filter. Seems to have a bit more poop now. She is a hoot on the road now. I'm too scared to really lay her down in a corner, I bet she will drag the bar ends...... :)

I only have 2500 miles on her (a lot has happened in such a short time) but I think it is sorted now.

It is too much bike in the dirt for my limited skill set and if I had know what I know now I would have gone with a DRZ400 or 650. Now Honda has the 300cc dp, I'd need to look close at it.

Guys that have ridden the KLR and the XR say the KLR is much better on the freeway, but I find the XR just fine on the interstate. She will start to head shake around 75mph while on knobbies, but with dual sport tires she is pretty steady up to 90.

I weight about 165lbs so the suspension is tuned for my weight; guys on the forum that complain about shocks and such are well into the 200's. No really a fault of the bike.

If your dirt experience is limited, go smaller. A lot smaller. You may end up getting a 650 later on, but you won't kill yourself do it. I still think the 650L is a good bike; but she has these niggles and once addressed she approaches the built like an anvil rep that I think is not really deserved.

My take, the 650L would not be a good choice for you and I would highly encourage you to look at the DRZ. Yamaha as a 250, very expensive, but the king of the hill in its' calls. Four guys in the Phoenix and Prescott area that had 650L's sold them and bought the YZ250's. Like us, they are more mature and wanted something more manageable in the desert.

The advantage of e-start, in my humble opinion, can not be over stated. A buddy has the 650R, a regular hot rod, but kick start only. Meh, I'll take the e-button over the hot rod.

If you have not yet, get over to thumper talk.com and check out the forums. There is good natured kidding over brand choice, but you will good advice. Good bikes are recognized as such, no matter the brand.
 
Probably good advice, Rboe. I haven't had reliability issues with my XR...but I also haven't had it very long (it has 6,500 miles, not many of which are mine). I rode a stock DRZ400 prior to buying mine and was surprised at how gutless it felt...but I'm 225 lbs. And, frankly, I think my sense of "adequate" power has been skewed by too much time spent on liter-plus bikes.

If you want to stick with Honda, Jeep, I think I'd agree with Rboe that a CRF250L (or hopefully the larger version people keep hoping they'll come out with) might be a good bet. Probably not that much more money, even new, than a gently used XR. Also, you gotta love fuel injection.
 
Don't get me going on carbs. Pulled the carb off recently to clean out the low speed jet. Slightly gummed, otherwise, very clean. Running good now.

Several of my problems are exasperated by the extreme heat in Phoenix. And too much ethanol added to our gas.

For this sort of riding, torque is more important that horsepower. Alas, the 650 has gobs of it and I'm a torque junkie. :D

What has become very popular out here; the quads you sit in. If they weren't so expensive AND if I could find the room to to store one, I'd be all over one. After dropping the 650L for the sixth time on one ride - you would too. :)

If I won the lottery I'd convert the 650L to a leaning four wheeled monster. Some local here did the same (trying to sell kits) for a different brand. Looks like fun. Long suspension travel, leans, spins out, drifts - very cool.
Do you plan on riding on the interstate to get to your dirt riding areas or trailering? Can you hit the dirt from your place or are there roads you'll have to use?

First blush, 30" inseam would make me say the 650L is too much bike, but with your trials experience; not so much. Still, no doubt about it, she is tall. Over on TT, when asked about lowering links, most of the guys that bought them, went back to stock after a while. Just a data point. No opinion one way or the other; I've always been stock.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all, I really appreciate the responses. I'm leaning toward the 650L; I really want the e-start. Tall, yes; heavy, yes. I rode the KLR650 for many years and the only mod was to shave some foam from the seat. I'll let you know what I finally decide.
 
XR600R & XR650R/L

When the ECU goes bad, typically you can rap it a few times on the way home and the bike will get you home. Buy a new one, cut open the old one and resolder the thing and keep as a good spare as the new one will go bad at some point. :)

Oil cooler! Your oil and the head will thank you.
http://suttoncycleworks.com/oilCooler.html

Keep an eye on the two oil lines at the base of the frame; they have short flexible sections that are easy to twist and kink unless you use two wrenches to reinstall - which newb mechanics seem to miss.

The 650R sprocket is a must if you do a lot of paved road riding. I'm beginning to think one should just do it anyway. Luckily it's a cheap fix.

Most everything else is personal taste and adjustments to your riding habits and what you want to do with the bike. Stock tires get a bit squirrely in the desert sand but seem to be plenty fine for the street.

Finally; this guy: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/4870959388.html

I know the owner, the bike looks like it just came off the showroom floor, I've been told this is the longest he has ever kept a bike (7 months, seems longer). Seriously consider it.
 
I have to play Devil's Advocate...why does it need to be all Honda. I get that they make great products. My wife and I both drive Honda automobiles. I have the CB and an old XL175. Even have a Honda mower.

When I was toying with the idea of a lighter bike than the CB, I really wanted to like the CB500X enough to get one and have all Hondas, too. In the end, the Suzuki V-strom 650 won out. They just feel right for an quasi - adventure bike. Unless you really love the 650L, you are doing yourself a disservice by not considering other brands that might be better options. Another KLR might be in order or a Suzuki DRZ400. Ignore the brand to some extent and get what you really want.

EDIT:

If you are considering plating up a dirt bike and you really do need it to be a Honda, I don't think anyone has suggested the CRF450X or 250X.
 
Thread starter
Undecider - I like your username. It fits me, too. I spent almost 5 years looking at everything before buying my CB1100.

I want to stay with an all Honda fleet. Kinda like I have all Nikon/Nikkor cameras & lenses and Klein & Craftsman tools. I like the consistency in how they work, handle and similarity in design. Any special tools or repair techniques can sometimes be shared with other Honda motorcycles.

My son has tried to talk me into a Yamaha WR250 or 450 and plating it. I've ridden both and they are fine bikes.

But, I have wanted a Honda XR650L for as long as I can remember, it's just so dang tall and I am so short. I wanted it when I went ahead and bought the KLR650; I bought the KLR because it was cheap.

I'm finding many XRLs in the $2000-3000 range which is what I am aiming for.

Something will come along and be the perfect bike for me.
 
Then you may as well go get one. Life is too short. Later; you can broaden your horizons. :)

It will be interesting to see what you get. Hope you post pics and all that. Like a fool I keep tossing money at mine. :s

Kinda reminds me of an old Sven and Ole joke; Ole goes up to the outhouse and finds Sven peering into the abyss, shaking his head and tossing in money.

Ole says "Sven! What the heck are you doing?!"

Sven responds, "I was pulling up me pants when I dropped a dime into the pit. I ain't going down there for just a dime!".
 
wish we had a place for a dual purpose motorcycle around here( Delaware, MD, PA) would be fun I think.
http://powersports.honda.com/2015/crf250l.aspx
cd3bb91af30b1ec09c8c4ce0998ed1dd.jpg
 
Back
Top