What dirt bikes do you ride?

Roper_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I don't like modern dirt bikes. I don't need the bleeding edge performance. I definitely don't need the frequent maintenance. I really like the new Kawasaki KLX250. But, I don't want to spend that much on a new bike. I've ridden a Honda XR650L. Love the torque and it's great for long flat stretches in the desert. But man, is that thing top heavy. Too big for the mountains around here. I almost bought an XR400. Almost. Its the perfect bike for trails. And, it's bullet proof. However, I finished kicking about 30 years ago.

Today, I bought a 2006 Suzuki DRZ400E. I went out riding in the hills with my son (Honda CRF230F) for about two hours. Okay, I love that DRZ. It makes the perfect power for the way I ride. Yeah, I would have liked an air cooled bike. I would have liked another Honda. But I just can't find one that ticks all the right boxes. Suzuki for the win!
 
A few years ago a friend up in Washington had me up to his place a couple of times to mess around on his dirt bikes. He had a bit of land up there and there was enough space for him to carve out a small scale motocross track (really small scale, nothing too crazy). He had access to some heavy machinery by way of his family so creating a track with some jumps and whoops and the like was easy for him to pull off.

He had a couple of smaller Yamahas, one of them was more cross-country oriented that he rode when he lived in eastern Washington. I think it might have been a YZ250FX. The other was an older trail bike, I think a TTR225. I rode the TTR and had a blast. I probably hadn't been on a dirt bike in over 30 years and those days spent horsing around on his property ended up being some of my favorite riding days ever. Just a total blast. But I was also soon reminded of my age, lol. That reminder hung around for a few days but it was worth it. Good times.

Sadly there's so much more to it than just the bikes themselves (storage, transportation, hauling the bikes to places to ride, finding people to ride with, etc.) I would definitely like to have a dirt bike. I honestly enjoy riding in the dirt more than I do riding on the street, but it's just too much of a hassle for me to contemplate.
 
The latest Pedal-assist Ebikes are more fun and more versatile than gas powered dirt bikes. They will go anywhere a dirt bike and a bicycle can go while not making noise or polluting. Plus you get a cardio workout (there’s no throttle on Class 1 Ebikes). Ebikes basically are high tech bicycles w/ a battery assisted (rider adjustable) electric power-steering pump at the crank (same pump as all cars have nowadays). Ebikes weigh around 50 pounds and use 2” or wider tires.
I’ve owned around 100 motorcycles including DRZ400, CBX, enduros, CB1100, etc and Ebikes IMO are more fun. They go anywhere except on highways and steep sand washes. They go on single track trails silently and nimbly like a mountain bike. The battery assist makes it easier to pedal. I ride into town, go on trails, parks, sidewalks, dirt and gravel roads, and on the street, too. Nobody thinks they are scooters or mopeds as they look like a nice mountain bike that makes no noise and needs pedaling to move.
$3500-7000 is the price of admission.
I own 2 Bulls Lacuba eco 8’s for my wife and I. We put 1500 miles on them since Spring. Best purchase we ever made.
https://electricbikeaction.com/amp/bike-test-bulls-lacuba-evo-e8-e45/
Check out the Riese Muller top shelf rides:
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/models/supercharger/
 
Thread starter
736cc_imp said:
The latest Pedal-assist Ebikes are more fun and more versatile than gas powered dirt bikes. They will go anywhere a dirt bike and a bicycle can go while not making noise or polluting. Plus you get a cardio workout (there’s no throttle on Class 1 Ebikes). Ebikes basically are high tech bicycles w/ a battery assisted (rider adjustable) electric power-steering pump at the crank (same pump as all cars have nowadays). Ebikes weigh around 50 pounds and use 2” or wider tires.
I’ve owned around 100 motorcycles including DRZ400, CBX, enduros, CB1100, etc and Ebikes IMO are more fun. They go anywhere except on highways and steep sand washes. They go on single track trails silently and nimbly like a mountain bike. The battery assist makes it easier to pedal. I ride into town, go on trails, parks, sidewalks, dirt and gravel roads, and on the street, too. Nobody thinks they are scooters or mopeds as they look like a nice mountain bike that makes no noise and needs pedaling to move.
$3500-7000 is the price of admission.
I own 2 Bulls Lacuba eco 8’s for my wife and I. We put 1500 miles on them since Spring. Best purchase we ever made.
https://electricbikeaction.com/amp/bike-test-bulls-lacuba-evo-e8-e45/
Check out the Riese Muller top shelf rides:
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/models/supercharger/
$3500 is more than I paid for my DRZ with tax and all the DMV paperwork. if ebikes come down in price in the future, and battery range improves, then maybe I'll make the switch. Health benefits? I spend 7 hours each day with 25 very active second graders. I definitely don't want to be pedaling on the weekends. Maybe after retirement...
 
We had a pair of Honda 250Ls few years ago. Got the pair used for about $4K. I'm thinking of getting another dual sport. The new Royal Enfield Himalayan may be my next. About $4500 new.
 
Roper_imp said:
I don't like modern dirt bikes. I don't need the bleeding edge performance. I definitely don't need the frequent maintenance. I really like the new Kawasaki KLX250. But, I don't want to spend that much on a new bike. I've ridden a Honda XR650L. Love the torque and it's great for long flat stretches in the desert. But man, is that thing top heavy. Too big for the mountains around here. I almost bought an XR400. Almost. Its the perfect bike for trails. And, it's bullet proof. However, I finished kicking about 30 years ago.

Today, I bought a 2006 Suzuki DRZ400E. I went out riding in the hills with my son (Honda CRF230F) for about two hours. Okay, I love that DRZ. It makes the perfect power for the way I ride. Yeah, I would have liked an air cooled bike. I would have liked another Honda. But I just can't find one that ticks all the right boxes. Suzuki for the win!

You made the right choice. The DRZ400 is a better bike than the XR400, and has been made forever so parts are readily available- both factory and a TON of aftermarket.

And for a dirtbike- the E model is also better. Notably- already comes with a much better performing carb, camshaft and exhaust.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to come across a 2003 Kawasaki KLX400E for sale with only 19 miles on it.

So- I bought it and proceeded to do what I always do- tear it apart while researching how to improve it and make it my own style.

Given my appreciation for what I grew up with- I modeled my build off an '80s Kawasaki.

Here is part way through the tear down-

fdb170674bb7a141bb006978df028ccc.jpg



and here is the completed bike.


f6b9c41edb11e3773ff3f1a84a4e8f02.jpg



I put a tremendous amount of work in it, attention to every detail, every upgrade, and then like Guth mentioned above- came back from my first ride or 2 and realized it took a lot out of my 40+ body to try to actually ride it through the woods, over rocks / logs, etc.

SOOO- it just sits in my garage, less than 100 miles total, 19 of that from the original owner. :(
 
Thread starter
You did a beautiful job, Josh. I love the way that bike looks. The KLX400 is essentially the same bike as the DRZ400, right? Just different plastics? So...are you going to sell it?
 
Yea, same exact bike.

I’ll probably throw it on Craigslist or eBay eventually.

Given the following these bikes have, the literal brand newness if it, and the parts and work I have in it, I don’t expect any issues selling it.


I also have a like new XR200, my low
mile ZRX1200, and the CB that need to go.

After that 3 cars I’m going to sell as well. Just not using any of them enough and priorities are changing. My 2000 BMW M roadster has <40k on it. My 2006 Phaeton W12 4-seater has 50k.
 
Here is my ‘03 625 SXC. I have only owned this bike since the beginning of the summer, but it has definitely won me over in that very short amount of time. I’m in the process of gearing it up to do some moto-camping off of, Ill post some pictures of that once all the goodies arrive in the mail :D

adb4d8fa6d8e3fb69f51cb83a3d9e499.jpg


f023d5e7b0c6bf9aa2d4f39d9ed3797d.jpg


06864cda9510a321e93c2f4a1c0f674e.jpg
 
Thread starter
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Here is my ‘03 625 SXC. I have only owned this bike since the beginning of the summer, but it has definitely won me over in that very short amount of time. I’m in the process of gearing it up to do some moto-camping off of, Ill post some pictures of that once all the goodies arrive in the mail :D

adb4d8fa6d8e3fb69f51cb83a3d9e499.jpg


f023d5e7b0c6bf9aa2d4f39d9ed3797d.jpg


06864cda9510a321e93c2f4a1c0f674e.jpg
I think everyone should own a street bike and a dirt bike. You have made excellent choices :D LC4 motor, right? I understand those things are bulletproof.
 
Roper_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Here is my ‘03 625 SXC. I have only owned this bike since the beginning of the summer, but it has definitely won me over in that very short amount of time. I’m in the process of gearing it up to do some moto-camping off of, Ill post some pictures of that once all the goodies arrive in the mail :D

adb4d8fa6d8e3fb69f51cb83a3d9e499.jpg


f023d5e7b0c6bf9aa2d4f39d9ed3797d.jpg


06864cda9510a321e93c2f4a1c0f674e.jpg
I think everyone should own a street bike and a dirt bike. You have made excellent choices :D LC4 motor, right? I understand those things are bulletproof.
I think everyone should own a street bike and a dirt bike. You have made excellent choices :D LC4 motor, right? I understand those things are bulletproof. I whole heartedly agree with that statement. Why own 1 bike that tries to do it all but inevitably comes up short on the road or in the dirt, when you could own 2 bikes that excell at what they were made to do. :biker:

LC4, correct. As far as being bulletproof, we shall see! I have been told to run full synthetic, keep the oil and filters clean, run 93 or higher octane, avoid lugging the engine too much, and give her hell! The last part is the easiest. :D This bike is a rocket.
 
part of me wishes there was some way I could get any use out of a dirt bike. I always think they look like a lot of fun. I've got basically no way to use one though. no public dirt tracks/roads near me and i don't have any kind of vehicle capable of hauling a dirt bike away to a location where there would be dirt roads. There's something ultra appealing about a super light motorcycle.
 
It broke my heart to sell my CRF450X this spring but after a spinal fusion crashing in the dirt has lost its appeal.

I can see the start of the ATV trail system from my house which access literally 1000s of miles of trails, my wife has a Honda Pioneer 1000 sxs so I can still go on the trails but it's just not the same.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
part of me wishes there was some way I could get any use out of a dirt bike. I always think they look like a lot of fun. I've got basically no way to use one though. no public dirt tracks/roads near me and i don't have any kind of vehicle capable of hauling a dirt bike away to a location where there would be dirt roads. There's something ultra appealing about a super light motorcycle.
That was me when I lived in TX. Yeah, there's a lot of land, but a very small percentage is public. And, well, there aren't exactly a lot of hills and mountains to ride.

If you still want to ride a really light motorcycle, you gotta try a supermoto--lightweight dirt bike with stiffer suspension and street wheels. Treat your inner hooligan!
 
This is my 2005 Honda CR250 two stroke MX bike I purchased in 2006.
28b508d37d32c5174cdbf49b07cdbb84.jpg


Back then, raising two boys, 10 & 7, both in Cub & Boy Scouts, time to ride was scarce, so a short saturday or thurs evening to the local MX tracks was where it's at.

3 yrs later, I got involved with hare scramble racing, gosh this H/S racing is a hoot! I was hooked. And the CR250 bike transitioned perfectly for this kind of racing....which consisted of riding through the woods and then coming out of it onto a section of a MX track, and then repeat this for 30 or 60 minutes.
9014c2ad533902f3235a27d4f06e49d3.jpg


Then friends got me into enduro racing. Enduros is all about enduring the challenges in the woods. It's a 25, 50, or 75 mile loop that can take all day. For that, the bike got a bigger 3 gal tank, I toned the powerband down w/ a smaller carb and installed an Forest approved exhaust. For the next few yrs I went chasing enduros around TX, AR, LA, OK.

40c8868c34c38fb4a376b7698bfcd9c1.jpg


Boys are now young men, 19 & 22, we're empty nesters, so I spend most of my free time riding for fun exploring new places I've never seen

b431040543334fd7c6cf555e55eaa884.jpg

65cdab802763f5e406db69da6e2db0c8.jpg


and w/ fellow like minded dirtbikers.

563eb0a475a2186526c0986f0177529d.jpg

cb996cc6761b547c5cf36f2cab5b46ca.jpg


Also I have this funny looking bike, A Beta 290 EVO, I share w/ my oldest
db55ad1a70f8f653ee4cde5a7677e5d6.jpg


I use it every wednesday to ride w/ my local trials club
to keep my dirt riding skills improving ...
c3ba125661c6ef6878b337744a1bc870.jpg


Rcently, I added this long range kit (a seat w/ a built in 1gal aux. gas tank)

b5857616fb6b91579d2b384d0c5920b2.jpg


This extends my riding into some of the tougher technical trails I'd have problems doing on my CR250.

9a41897fc8212b56587c01800f4b4778.jpg


Down the road though...I do see myself finally giving way to getting a new two stroke dirtbike-just for the electric start feature. now that I'm riding purely for fun, we stop - ALOT!!!! (too much)- to bs, take pics, to just relax during a day's ride.
As much as I love the simplicity and reliability w/ my kickstart only CR250, it's getting old having to kick it all the time now that we're all riding for fun.

Dirt riding is part of my DNA. I'll keep ROOSTING~! until I can no longer :beerchug::thanks:
 
Back
Top