Wrecked my bike...

Maximus, glad you are OK and hope you are "back on the horse " soon.

Some good advice has been given about group rides, mostly what not to do. Just to balance that let me say that riding with a disciplined group can be both a pleasure (example: recent group riding in NC with members of this forum) and educational. A disciplined group should render all assistance to an inexperienced or cautious (if that is the word) rider and ensure that at no stage that person feels uncomfortable or left behind without company.
To follow or ride with an experienced rider, who is aware of your experience and capabilities, can help you with many aspects of your road riding. In particular corner entry speed and line selection to a safe exit. A good riding companion, whether part of a group or not, can give you non-judgmental feedback that should give you something to reflect on. However, prior to this I do believe that you should have a firm foundation to build on. A foundation built by professionals through basic/advanced rider courses or even track days.
Like many of the riders on this forum, particularly the old codgers, my mates and I learnt the hard way. The Darwinian Selection Method you could probably call it. But in the end we did get there. A lot of fun but I wouldn't want my children, or grandchildren, to do it. I have a young friend who recently graduated from a scoot to a CB400. She took another course as soon as she got the bike. She often rides with a group that is heavily focused on educational riding mixed with having a heap of fun. She is now more than a competent rider. Don't get sucked in by the idiots ("drongos" we call them in OZ). Sort of the motorcycle equivalent of "Just say NO".

Having read the above it sounds a bit like a lecture. Please don't take it that way. Just the musings of a 70 year old codger who loves to see people having fun on a motorbike.

Cheers.
 
So glad you are OK and hope you heal very quickly. You have the fortitude to get right back on the horse after that-I respect that very much! Sooner or later it happens to everyone. Like they say, not a question of IF but WHEN.
 
Hey there guys and gals...I have a totalled red 13 for sale...3,000 miles, mostly front end damage...new handle bars,headlight shell,headlight ,1 headlight mount ,rear break pedal and a couple of winkers and the bike is rideable...insurance company says the frame is bent because of a small ding on the down tube...no krinkeled pant on the frame $1800 and I will crate and ship anywhere .........if interested message me and I will text all the pics u want....
 
Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you are ok. I crashed a Suzuki TU250 in 2010, high side. The tires were not up to stopping the bike in a hurry so they just slid with the bike leaned over to some degree. I ended up getting a new set of tires which were much softer. The other issue is suspension that is so soft that it hits a bump while leaned over the the tire leaves the pavement for a moment and does not rebound quick enough to gain traction again. My other Ninja 250 slid the front wheel as well but it caught the pavement again and was fine. - Glad you are relatively ok. I dislocated my shoulder and popped it back in again; "That does not feel right at all!" - Rode the rest of the way to work, worked all day and then rode home because it was not going to get better that day. A few months of rehab and I was feeling 90% again. I rode to rehab on the bike.
 
Motogeezer, did you see RandyB's thread on wrecked bikes? I looked for it the other day for you but couldn't find it.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Puff, messaged you earlier today. Where's those pics? ;)
Hey there geezer....im tied up for a couple dopposed will get them to ya...im a lot tec. Challenged lol...it will take me a minute to figure out how to send them email as opposed to just text....
 
Glad you're ok, and getting back in the saddle!

Also, I really appreciate your comments about group rides. As a new rider myself, I've been thinking about joining up with some group rides in the area. I think maybe I'll hold off for now.
 
DBXXX, just ride in the back ;)
puffnlola_imp said:
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Puff, messaged you earlier today. Where's those pics? ;)
Hey there geezer....im tied up for a couple dopposed will get them to ya...im a lot tec. Challenged lol...it will take me a minute to figure out how to send them email as opposed to just text....
Hey there geezer....im tied up for a couple dopposed will get them to ya...im a lot tec. Challenged lol...it will take me a minute to figure out how to send them email as opposed to just text....
Puff, text 'Em if you want 321.228.0722. Thx ;)
 
DBXXX—what geezer said. Unless you're such a good rider that you can get out the front and stay there, or you're in a small group of riders you know well, the back's not a bad place to be in group rides. You stay clear of the idiots and you can protect yourself from being hassled.
 
Maximus_imp said:
My beautiful CB1100 - only 3.5k miles on her - wrecked.

I recently went on a group ride with a couple people I knew and many I did not know, and about an hour and a half into the ride, I misjudged a curve and low sided.

The right side of my tank was really banged up, and my handlebars were badly skewed, but several guys in the group worked together to bend the bars back into rideable-ish shape. Since we (my husband was on the ride with me) were northeast of Carson (no cell signal), we couldn't call for a tow; and because there was no other major damage to the bike, we decided to ride it back about 20 miles where we might get a signal. Actually, my ribs and right knee were so beat up I couldn't wrestle with the torqued bars, so I rode my husband's ZRX and he rode my CB.

We ended up just riding the 80 miles back home (couldn't get a signal where we had stopped) and took the bike into our favorite shop (Vicious Cycle). Damage estimate from both the shop and our insurance totaled the bike (just $1.5k functional damage and over $9k cosmetic damage).

We took the payout and bought back the salvage, so the functional and a little of the cosmetic damage is being fixed and I should get her back in a couple weeks, but I so wish I had made better choices and this had never happened!

As for me, I did crack a rib (just a hairline fracture thank goodness!) and did some tissue damage to my knee, but aside from LOTS of bruising and soreness, I got very doggone lucky!!!

Keep safe out there, everyone!
my bros in laws had a bicycle accident 2 months back, broken ribs and bone in the shoulder, still in pain with rivets in body. My sis called and suggested I stop riding, I tend to agree. An accident at 35 MPH is enough to send one to hospital.

Never allow yourself being pushed to ride faster to keep up with the group.
 
You agree with your sis? Climbing a ladder can be dangerous, heck ANYTHING can be dangerous. Do you know how many people end up in the hospital from falling up or down stairs? I wouldn't quit riding because someone else had a bicycle accident, but you do what you feel is best for you.
 
The ferret_imp said:
You agree with your sis? Climbing a ladder can be dangerous, heck ANYTHING can be dangerous. Do you know how many people end up in the hospital from falling up or down stairs? I wouldn't quit riding because someone else had a bicycle accident, but you do what you feel is best for you.
Ferret I love riding, frankly there are other reasons. I don't ride when I don't feel well. Manual states that ride when you are mentally sharp and bodily able.

Two things must be with me all the time, a piano and a motorcycle, it is hard w/o either I feel naked

I know you are a hardcore rider will ride as long as you can, and then tell us how many close call you get in your 4 decades of riding? I had none in my last 35 yrs at least I am not aware of.
 
Ouch! Ribs take about 6 months to heal (too much soft tissue like cartilage that just takes time with the low blood flow to that area). I'm glad it was not worse and can used for an excellent learning experience. Both for riding and wrenching. As a buddy once said, dress for the crash, not the ride. He promptly crashed, had his armor ride up as he rolled in the ditch which exposed his ribs which a large rock took advantage of and took out a couple ribs. Oiy!

But it turned out to be a funny story - after the fact; thanks to some pre-planning and self support. I hope this story can offer up some good humor down the road while you choose your riding partners more carefully.

So take it easy while healing, and good luck.
 
Not a thing wrong with riding in the back. Easier if a couple of things are understood. One: a known destination, or at least the next stopping point - then getting left behind has no negative consequence - OR two - understanding that everyone keeps an eye on the person immediately behind them, and the rider ahead waits up wherever convenient or at the next turn/intersection, until the one behind catches up - up the line, so the invisible string is stretched but never broken. It works just fine. And remember - it's up to each rider to ride their own ride and control their own impulses. Restraint can be hard to master, but lives depend on it.
 
Very sorry to hear about the accident, glad you are O.K.. I'm not sure what 'low sided it' means? Did the bike scrape during a sharp turn?

I've ridden with others a fair amount, but never on one of these larger, organized rides? I wonder about them, may even do one in the near future. My pastor asked me to join him on their cycle rides some time. I do have more experience on organized snowmobile rides, kinda know that drill.

I guess much depends on the group one rides with.
 
Back
Top