Worst weather you have ridden in

Leaving Valdez Alaska in 2008 I got a speeding ticket. That peed me off. Then it started to rain. I rode 36 hours straight and it never stopped raining once. My Stich gear held up great. Back in Montana the local weather lady called the storm I just rode through an "inland hurricane" and she wasn't kidding.
 
There are some hair raising stories on here and I in no way can compete, I'll share mine though.

I too do not like heat, in '87 the Vallejo, CA Honda shop sponsored a ride into the Sierra Nevadas, when we got to Sacramento I lifted my face shield to get some air flow only to be hit with a blast furnace and closed my shield. First only time that happened to me but that was not my first time dealing with weather.

At 13 while riding my '75 CB125S in the mountains near Kyburz, CA I encountered hail for the first time as a rider. No face shield, no goggles, no glasses, I was 13 what can I say? Hail HURTS!!!!

Rain usually doesn't bother me, I feel it is just part of the experience. All of my recent experiences are in the last ten years while commuting. If Kathy Sabine says no rain until 3pm then I'd roll the dice and ride even though I got off at 3:30pm. One time about 6 miles into my 23 mile ride home it started raining then by time I got to I225 there so much water on the freeway my Shadow Spirit 750's front tire was making big wakes.

A couple of years ago it was a nice fall day sunny all day long. Going down Speer here in Denver right past channel 9 news the wind picked up and was blowing leaves past me in 35mph traffic, really cool looking. While stopped at the Colorado Blvd light the wind had brought a lite rain, nothing to worry about wasn't even getting wet. Then just before the light turned green there was a big, long gust of wind and by the end of the gust came snow flakes blowing past me. By the time I got to Parker Road there was at least 2 inches of snow on the road and I must have looked like a snow man riding a motorcycle. I had new Shinko Tour Masters on my Shadow which stuck to the road in all that snow up to 35mph so as long as I live in Denver Metro I will always have Shinkos. Anyway this day's end commute of 20 miles saw sun, wind, rain, and then inches of snow on the road in a matter of 45 minutes. I'd enjoy that again if I would never ever have to endure 100+ degree temps like many of you did, still, when it happens to me I'll groan and complain and have another story to write.
 
THAT...is hair-raising.

One thing I will NEVER, EVER do...is ride in the snow. Sure, there's photos all over the place of adventure riders cresting mountain roads in snow or even slush. But that's where I draw the line.

I lived in Denver for two years; but that was while I was on my 16-year "break" from riding. And I can vouch for how fast the weather can turn. The thin air...
 
Ole_imp said:
Leaving Valdez Alaska in 2008 I got a speeding ticket. That peed me off. Then it started to rain. I rode 36 hours straight and it never stopped raining once. My Stich gear held up great. Back in Montana the local weather lady called the storm I just rode through an "inland hurricane" and she wasn't kidding.
Hey Ole,

Not discounting your account of riding 36 hours straight, but how in the heck did you pull that off?? Amphetamines have been a scheduled drug for quite some time.
 
I guess I am just used to it. I often work all nighters when storms come through our city. My body must be pre-programmed!
 
I just got caught up on this thread , some great tales. I can think of a couple, but one weird one that sticks is on a trip we took down to
Vicksburg Miss. back in the 80s. On our way back we decided to go up through the Ozarks. Late in the afternoon going north on very hilly road the sky started to get dark, since I guessed we were very close to our motel I decided to push on. We had been behind a bike that looked like a Yamaha Venture two up. I lost sight of them as we went
along on the many curves and hills. I was on a Suzuki GS1100GK and my wife was on a 450 Nighthawk. I had all the gear since I
was on the "touring bike". Just as I came down a hill past a abandoned gas station I decided to pull over and put the rain gear on. The sky looked real bad. I walked to the back of the bike opened the trunk throw Judy her rain suit and just as I opened my suit a wind hits with such a blast my suit almost blew away and as I looked over
my shoulder my 900lb bike blow over and hit the ground. Then the
rain came down in sheets. We put the rain suit on even though we were soaked and I screamed at Judy to help me upright my bike.
Some how we got my bike up and rode the bikes into the abandoned gas station to weather out the rain and wind. As we went
around the south side of the building there sat the couple with the
Yamaha Venture! Dry as can be. They said ya when they heard about
the tornado in area on their radio they pulled in.
The motel did turn out to be just a few miles ahead but we were
soaked to the bone, I can still remember the gal at front desk as Judy
pulled off her helmet - " you are a girl " !
 
I actually enjoy riding in the rain. With the quality of raingear since a few years, you stay dry. My gloves are goretex lined and have a small rubber squeegee on the left index finger for wiping the visor. You do have to adapt your riding, but for me it is still enjoyable.

The worst I ever had though was one winter here in Switzerland. Yes, I would ride all year, but tried to avoid snow for obvious reasons. At the time my bike was a Ducati ST2, and I was riding home from work with the temperatures below freezing. Shortly after I started out the rain began, but it soon became snow. I kept going since I didn't have more than maybe 30 minutes to go, and roads still seemed okay. This is where the first problem appeared: snow on a visor leads to inevitable fogging. There is nothing you can do. Unfortunately, I was wearing glasses at the time, so I opened the visor enough to let air in but trying to avoid the snow hitting the glasses. The snow would sting my face, but at least I could see something.

Then the road was become seriously white, and so I moved over to the emergency lane on the side, riding as straight as I could with my feet dragging on the ground. I did keep on going, and perhaps an hour later I finally pulled in to my garage. I was absolutely frozen, and struggled to get my gloves off, with the snow being everywhere. Seriously, I should have stopped, but it was just one of those things when you think that just a few more minutes and it will be over. I am not sure how I kept from crashing, but I did.

I have not done that again, and I certainly don't plan to.
 
So, Henrik, what rain gear do you have? I've been badly let down by mine.
 
Currently I have a two-piece Dianese Gore-Tex suit. I am not sure which model, but I have had it since 2008 and it is still great. Well, most of the zipper rings have broken and been replaced with some home-made rings, but otherwise it is holding up well. The gloves are some Held gore-tex gloves that are a bit too warm for summer. Currently I am trying out some Alpinestar leather gloves with a gore-tex liner, but I have not tried them yet in some serious rain.

Finally my boots are Oxtar TCS (now the brand is XTC). They have been great, but are very worn now partly due to a crash a couple of years back. So I got some Alpinestar boots, but as with the gloves I still have not tested them in serious rain.
 
Thank you. My hands stay dry. I've a brilliant pair of overgloves I haul on no matter what I'm wearing and they work a treat. I need to replace the rest. I suspect a Gore-Tex suit would be too hot in the Queensland summer when we get most of our rain so I'm looking at the Frogg Toggs gear which gets good reports.
 
Well, I am not sure the gore-tex would necessarily be too hot. I wear mine here in the summer when I ride to work, and recently we have had temps over 30° (actually hit a record of 39.7° last Monday, but that was just too much to wear the suit!). Sure it gets hot if you are standing around at redlights in the city, but when riding it is fine. There is then a liner I can put in when it gets colder, which is surprisingly efficient.
 
Thanks again, Henrik. 39.7° is tediously hot! It's generally low 30s here in the summer which is when we get our rain and I really need to find some wets that breathe—the conventional stuff often gets wet inside just from the humidity. I'll investigate gore-tex.
 
Thread starter
The gear I wore coming home from the rally in the rain was a set of Frogg Toggs, only it didn't rain much, so not much of a test. Once we got 15 miles out (to the Dragon) it had pretty much stopped. If it's warm I will just go bare handed as I have never had a glove (and yes I had Alpinestars Drystar gloves.. boots are great... gloves stunk and I threw them in the garbage) and my son bought me a pair of over mitts from someone, that go over regular gloves, that I have yet to try out.

 
Back in the late 70's I left Daytona Bike Week to head north, in the rain. Turned to sleet around the NC/SC border, by the time I got home the weather had cleared a bit but I had frozen clothing and I was soaked. Amazing how strong a stupid kid can be.
In the latter 80's I rode my ST1100 through a storm that spawned tornados, I just rode through hail and rain. Pulled into a carwash for a while but continued.
Rain storms in the dark are the worst for me now. Will brave cold and snow for a bit for fun - if I'm in the mood.
 
I think hail for me. On a freeway with the RD400, summer time with dumb az'ed :dodgy: t-shirt, no gloves and just running shoes. Saw a thunder cell kinda in my path, thought, ah well, just some summer rain probably.

Suddenly the hail came in hard. At first, "[not-] cool", better watch the road conditions. That worry ended pretty suddenly as pain set in and my upper body started to shrivel as muscles contracted. Soon it was a battle of maintaining steering and throttle as hands left the bars. F-bombs dropping everywhere. The only smart thing going was the full-face helmet - and it was noisy inside. Hail was about marble-sized, but their velocity was relative to [initial] freeway speed. I was lucky, and very wet in the end.

Somewhere in there a flash thought of "tornado", but that never materialized. The sky was night in the early afternoon.
 
Been in a couple of torrential downpours, those are no fun. I guess the worst was when I was younger, poorer, and just married. Used to take my bike so my wife could have the car, except for the absolute worst of the season. That meant in sloppy snowy weather in Milwaukee in the 20's and 30's. I'd get to work and could barely move my knees or fingers, as the cold had seized up my joints...
 
Nice class, I lived down by Lake Superior and college was on top of the hill, raining at my place but on the way up the hill it turned to snow.

The fun part, the cafeteria was built over the road going into the back side of the campus so with these big huge flakes coming down I rode under it - and got the looks! It really wasn't too bad - until I had to leave after class and the discs were frozen to the pucks.
 
Nothing worse than snowy or icy road conditions, I imagine, cause I never will ride in that.

Personally my worst experience that I could remember was riding my CB when it was cold and add a freezing wind.
Especially that wind....


That experience strangely somehow stuck while I recently experienced a far longer wet ride in France.



Than again, that ride would take top spot if I was riding a naked like the CB :-/
 
Riko: Your flick I am sure many of us can relate to. Thx. I don't mind windy, wet, dark 'n' cold, however, I don't like being unprepared for it. That stinks ( <-- moderator-friendly word ) large. Also, my CB doesn't care for it either (so it tells me) ;) .
 
Back
Top