Work Lift Question

Ron in MO_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I plan to do some projects that won't allow me to lift the bike with the center stand. What are my options to lift the CB1100 securely and safely?

I have a Craftsman hydraulic motorcycle lift, but too many parts sit below the frame rails. I also have a sport bike swing arm lift.

I'm curious to see what fellow forum members are using or might suggest?
 
I have front and rear paddock stands if I want both wheels off the floor at the same time.
I also have a Baxley front wheel chock if I just want to raise the rear wheel. It all depends on what the job is.
 
I use a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift. Once you upgrade the front wheel chock (I haven't done it yet), it's great for do-it-yourself at home garage mechanics like me. There is a plate on the rear end of the platform the easily removes to simplify rear wheel changes. They list for $429 but are almost always on sale for $299. I found mine locally in like new condition on Craigslist for $200. If you need to raise the bike, you can securely strap the bike down and use a small floor jack under the bike.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

 
I also have a table lift for working on my bikes. I can strap the bike down from the front or rear. If I wasn't able to make use the center stand then I'd probably purchase a motorcycle-specific scissor jack for further manipulation of the bike.


8f0fee77c60544de90c1187cb165dfd8.jpg
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
I use a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift. Once you upgrade the front wheel chock (I haven't done it yet), it's great for do-it-yourself at home garage mechanics like me. There is a plate on the rear end of the platform the easily removes to simplify rear wheel changes. They list for $429 but are almost always on sale for $299. I found mine locally in like new condition on Craigslist for $200. If you need to raise the bike, you can securely strap the bike down and use a small floor jack under the bike.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892.html
It just passed, but you can usually find this lift for sale during Black Friday for $195 and the upgraded wheel chock for 20% off, as well. I bought mine for that price a couple of years ago. With the better wheel chock, you still need to strap the bike down, though.

For anyone that buys this lift, make sure you check the hydraulic ram's oil reservoir (and buy oil when you buy your lift). Mine was dry and the unit would have basically failed immediately if I had not checked. I learned about this from the comments on the unit from their website.
 
Buy ANYTHING from HF online and you will get email sales every day of the week... don't see many paper catalogs or sales these days so maybe they have gone paperless? I generally drive into San Antonio and buy supplies for my business at their store.
 
That's weird. I buy a bit from HF (was just there last week) and only get paper mailings (catalogs) nothing electronically.
 
Redbirds has a lift with a front wheel chock that looks to be much better. There is a pic somewhere on the Forum, maybe he will re-post it if hes watching this thread.

My wife calls HF " The Stinky Chinese Tool Place", so one day I Googled her name for HF and low and behold that's what came up.
 
Ferret, give them your email address and stand by...

I made the mistake of giving Cycle Gear my email (we have a store in town) and get spammed all the time, especially this time of year, sometimes a couple a day.

And so do Hilton, Sirius, J&P, Chaparral, and Motorcycle Superstar. It never stops.
 
Lol I tell people I don't have an email addy. They look at me funny, but I don't get bombarded with emails. Truth be told sometimes I give them my wife's email addy lol
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Nice looking Golden Retriever, Guth. He/she appears to be mesmerised by the beauty of the CB just like the rest of us. :shy:
Really? I reckon he/she is eying off Guth's boot ...
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
Nice looking Golden Retriever, Guth. He/she appears to be mesmerised by the beauty of the CB just like the rest of us. :shy:
Really? I reckon he/she is eying off Guth's boot ...
Really? I reckon he/she is eying off Guth's boot ...
More than likely he was on the ever so hopeful lookout for a random piece of dropped food. But I'm guessing he didn't mind the general presence of the then brand-new CB.
 
Mine is a Harbor Freight but I also purchased a HF motorcycle dock that I bolted to the lift. I'm able to roll the bike on the lift and roll into the dock, locking the bike upright. The straps hold the bike forward so I can lift the rear wheel clear with a small scissor jack to service the chain or remove the rear wheel.



[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/Motorcycles/20150730_13_zpskwgiph9g.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/Motorcycles/20150730_1_zpsfbhdgtyh.jpg.html]
 
Back
Top