wobble and weave

curlyjoe

Road warrior
Thread starter
I found a link over at the ST forum to this old video explaining motorcycle wobble and weave. I don't have the weave issue on either of my bikes so my sole reason for posting is I found it interesting and thought some of you may also find it interesting.


 
LOL that cracked me up. I matured riding in 1975 and never experienced the weave EVER, even when I weighed 128 pounds (not sure how many stones that is)

Apparently to stop it you just need to carry a heavy stone in your pocket.
 
Tire pressure and condition, steering head bearing condition and tension, fork oil condition, F wheel to R wheel alignment, but don't worry about it motorcycles don't weave like that. Been riding since 1965 and have never experienced anything remotely close to that. I even owned or have ridden many of the bikes they showed in the video, 1000 Kawasaki, 750 Suzuki, BMW R90, 750 Norton. That was crazy funny.
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL that cracked me up. I matured riding in 1975 and never experienced the weave EVER, even when I weighed 128 pounds (not sure how many stones that is)

Apparently to stop it you just need to carry a heavy stone in your pocket.
Or put one on!

Thanks for posting that curlyjoe. Good fun.
 
I resemble a boulder. Poor bike says get off me you fat pig when I get on it, but no wobble or weave problems. LMfatAO.:excited:
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL that cracked me up. I matured riding in 1975 and never experienced the weave EVER, even when I weighed 128 pounds (not sure how many stones that is)

Apparently to stop it you just need to carry a heavy stone in your pocket.
I only experienced speed wobble once in my 25 years of riding. It happened on my new 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV (AKA the widow maker).



I was riding home on a city street when I heard a muscle car flexing its muscle on the freeway beside me. Being a twenty-something motorcycle yahoo, I decide to roar up the next on ramp and show him what was fast was all about.

As I passed him, the Kawashaky went into an extreme speed wobble and the muscle car went breezing by me as I struggled to say alive. I slowly exited at the next off ramp, very shaken by the experience.

The widow maker was a 3-cylinder 2-stroke jet with a very light front end. Wheelies were easy to perform. I only weighed 163 pounds soaking wet, so it was inevitable I would experience this sooner or later. A lessoned learned without damage, except to my foolish young ego.
 
I would also check your triple tree bearings just to make sure you don't have something adding to the problem. You can pull on the front forks when the bike is on the center stand to see how much play you have. You can also adjust the tension on the triple tree bolt to adjust the resistance or lack thereof in the steering.
 
Back
Top