Winter Riding and Eye Glasses

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
This is the first winter in ages that I haven't put the bikes to sleep in November. This probably sounds silly, but I'm finding riding with eyeglasses a real pain in the winter. My glasses (not my visor) fog as soon as I slow to a stop. Anybody solve this problem? It even happens with the visor open at a stop (unless I hold my breath...which isn't a super duper idea...)
 
tommymck_imp said:
This is the first winter in ages that I haven't put the bikes to sleep in November. This probably sounds silly, but I'm finding riding with eyeglasses a real pain in the winter. My glasses (not my visor) fog as soon as I slow to a stop. Anybody solve this problem? It even happens with the visor open at a stop (unless I hold my breath...which isn't a super duper idea...)

I get the steamy glasses thing now and then. I pondered a breathing snorkel type device, but that would look pretty silly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The brute force approach is not wear the eyewear. That is, if you use contacts, that will work. An extreme is laser eye surgery.

The alternative, although not convenient, is to wear the glasses a little further from the face. The lack of heat from the face prevents condensation. Everybody's head/face is different and the comfort level or tendency for the glasses to settle back to the face can be an issue.

I have not tried anti-fogging agents on the lenses. They have existed for decades. Maybe this is a possibility?
 
I wear glasses and keep the visor cracked a bit, just a sliver, and for the most part that does the trick except at extremely long lights. Then I take my upper lip move it out and blow my breath down over my chin. Once rolling again, I breath normally.

I have also considered the snorkle thing, but it's not that big of an issue, only ovassionally at long lights.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I wear glasses and keep the visor cracked a bit, just a sliver, and for the most part that does the trick except at extremely long lights. Then I take my upper lip move it out and blow my breath down over my chin. Once rolling again, I breath normally.

I have also considered the snorkle thing, but it's not that big of an issue, only ovassionally at long lights.
There you go:

A feature for a future smart helmet. Some variation on the play of a moving lip. :)

Patent it!
 
If you are a candidate for LASIK, I recommend you consider the procedure. It's painless and absolutely liberating. I'm a motorcyclist, skier, and scuba diver. I quickly came to appreciate the lack of dependency on contacts or eye glasses while enjoying these endeavors. For me, it was an immediate life-changer. Otherwise, the cracked visor trick works well for eye glass wearers, at least until it rains.
 
My partner just had successful laser eye surgery. She hasn't seen things since the age of eight - so that is a lifetime. The world is wondrously new, I am told.
 
What are those removable things in your helmet which come up over the bridge of your nose? Are those breath deflectors? Whatever they're called, I've noticed reduced fogging on my glasses when I use it. It's not a complete solution, but it helps.
 
431f01934a07f918d22f07a959789734.jpg

:)
 
Roper_imp said:
What are those removable things in your helmet which come up over the bridge of your nose? Are those breath deflectors? Whatever they're called, I've noticed reduced fogging on my glasses when I use it. It's not a complete solution, but it helps.
I think you're right. I have to locate mine somewhere, probably at the bottom of some box. :dodgy:
 
Thread starter
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm a bit reluctant to get laser surgery just so that my glasses don't fog while stopped at a light. My vision is only 20/40 and I'm OK with wearing glasses to ride. I think I'll try some of the old-school remedies first. It's a decidedly first-world problem. Oddly, I fog up even when I pull the visor up when stopped. It's just the way things get deflected in my tight Arai helmet. I'll try some remedies and let you know how it goes.
 
I do know a guy on the ST forum that uses a mouthpiece like divers wear with a tube that runs out the bottom of his helmet and claims that it works great, I just can't imagine riding with that thing in my mouth all the time. I can see where it would work though.

Try the blowing your breath down over your bottom lip to your chin thing and see if that doesn't work for you.
 
RE mouthpiece: Alotta potential slobbering? Maybe it gets routed below the rider? Maybe it gets recirculated as hydration?

This is starting to sound Mad Max'ish.
 
When I played hockey we had a product for both our glasses and visors to keep them from fogging. That was a quarter century ago so I don't remember the name of the product, but sports store may be able to help.

I switched to contacts for hockey when they added a reflective material to the roof of the arena. That brightened up the playing surface so I could see well enough to play hockey, but could not use contacts to drive.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I do know a guy on the ST forum that uses a mouthpiece like divers wear with a tube that runs out the bottom of his helmet and claims that it works great, I just can't imagine riding with that thing in my mouth all the time. I can see where it would work though.

Try the blowing your breath down over your bottom lip to your chin thing and see if that doesn't work for you.
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
 
gmike_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I do know a guy on the ST forum that uses a mouthpiece like divers wear with a tube that runs out the bottom of his helmet and claims that it works great, I just can't imagine riding with that thing in my mouth all the time. I can see where it would work though.

Try the blowing your breath down over your bottom lip to your chin thing and see if that doesn't work for you.
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
I will tell ya, you can't crack anything open at -25C + freeway speed windchill (which is about -47C using new calculation, or about -60C = -76F using old calculation). You eyes will dry and its surface freeze in seconds. It is actually a scary experience. You have to blink very frequently!
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
gmike_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I do know a guy on the ST forum that uses a mouthpiece like divers wear with a tube that runs out the bottom of his helmet and claims that it works great, I just can't imagine riding with that thing in my mouth all the time. I can see where it would work though.

Try the blowing your breath down over your bottom lip to your chin thing and see if that doesn't work for you.
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
I will tell ya, you can't crack anything open at -25C + freeway speed windchill (which is about -47C using new calculation, or about -60C = -76F using old calculation). You eyes will dry and its surface freeze in seconds. It is actually a scary experience. You have to blink very frequently!
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
I will tell ya, you can't crack anything open at -25C + freeway speed windchill (which is about -47C using new calculation, or about -60C = -76F using old calculation). You eyes will dry and its surface freeze in seconds. It is actually a scary experience. You have to blink very frequently!
Never rode at minus anything so cant argue :shy:
 
gmike_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
gmike_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I do know a guy on the ST forum that uses a mouthpiece like divers wear with a tube that runs out the bottom of his helmet and claims that it works great, I just can't imagine riding with that thing in my mouth all the time. I can see where it would work though.

Try the blowing your breath down over your bottom lip to your chin thing and see if that doesn't work for you.
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
I will tell ya, you can't crack anything open at -25C + freeway speed windchill (which is about -47C using new calculation, or about -60C = -76F using old calculation). You eyes will dry and its surface freeze in seconds. It is actually a scary experience. You have to blink very frequently!
Ferret, CB1100 riders are not mouth breathers! We are a cultured crew. Stunned to see this response from a moderator. :D :P

I just crack my visor a tad when it happens and open it fully at stops.
I will tell ya, you can't crack anything open at -25C + freeway speed windchill (which is about -47C using new calculation, or about -60C = -76F using old calculation). You eyes will dry and its surface freeze in seconds. It is actually a scary experience. You have to blink very frequently!
Never rode at minus anything so cant argue :shy:
I hear ya gmike. In those conditions it is not for joy, but because I have to.
 
Back
Top