Windshield Hell

I think much of it depends on how you perch yourself on your bike. If you have high bar-backs and highway pegs, I can see how the wind could be difficult. If you haven't raised your bars and don't use highway pegs, 80 mph isn't a problem. I've seen 150 mph (once) on another bike but it had low bars and fairly rear-set pegs. The wind wasn't a problem, but my nerves were. Slowing down to 80 mph felt like a walking pace. I've ridden sport bikes on the autobahn at 130-140 mph and it's not horrible.
 
736cc_imp said:
Vesco Rabid Transit uses a Vetter frame bracket

I use a short cafe windscreen and it’s just enough to take some pressure off my chest in the highway without any buffeting and I still get plenty of wind in my face. Not sure I would enjoy riding without the wind in my face.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I guess it depends on what you're used to. I grew up riding CB's from the 70's with Windjammers, so riding highway speeds on a naked bike is a bit unnerving to me. I've adjust the seat, bars and pegs to get a relaxed, upright seating position so a windshield is now a must have for my bike.

If I had to ride a naked bike, I'd need to drop the bars and get a leaning forward ride position. And until I burn off about 20 lbs of belly fat (yeah, like that'll happen), I doubt it would be a comfortable ride.

So figure out what you like and adjust accordingly. No sense in riding miserable just cause someone else likes it that way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Scooter12_imp said:
I have a Puig Universal on my '14 Std and I like it. It looks good and I don't get any helmet buffeting until 80 mph.
Which Puig model are you talking about and how tall are you? Thanks
 
I've had my CB since last summer and I commute 35 miles each way, most of which is highway speeds. It's gotten a bit chilly here in the mornings and evenings so I added a small windscreen just to soften the punch of 40 deg F/80 MPH wind on the center of my chest. I'm 6'2" but I slouch a lot. The new airflow makes my helmet whistle a little, but I can live with it.

I don't care much for the looks, but it makes cool weather riding much more comfortable. I have a set of hand guards on order for the same reason. All of this will come back off the bike sometime in spring.
 
Anyone have any experiance with the Dart flyscreens? They are the only thing Ive seen that I could somewhat live with in the looks department, but I dont see how such a small screen would make much of a difference.
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Anyone have any experiance with the Dart flyscreens? They are the only thing Ive seen that I could somewhat live with in the looks department, but I dont see how such a small screen would make much of a difference.

I had one on, it blocks wind from chest area but it made too much turbulence or buffeting around my head so I took it off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Anyone have any experiance with the Dart flyscreens? They are the only thing Ive seen that I could somewhat live with in the looks department, but I dont see how such a small screen would make much of a difference.

I had one on, it blocks wind from chest area but it made too much turbulence or buffeting around my head so I took it off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one on, it blocks wind from chest area but it made too much turbulence or buffeting around my head so I took it off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats kind of what I expected. No way I'm wasting my money on one in that case. I'm fine with no wind protection for now, and naked looks better than any screen I've seen IMO.
 
Just installed the plexistar 2. Works as advertised. Wind noise has increased but i wear plugs anyways. First commute with it tomorrow, cant wait
 
Houtman_imp said:
I never had a shield on any of my bikes and still feel that I do not need one even at 80 mph. Also do not care for the looks of (most) of them.
Especially at 80 mph.

These things may be of some use at low speeds, rain and no cross-wind. They had some attraction in the bronze age of motorcycling, before the advent of full-face helmets and high quality rain-resistant synthetic motorcycle clothing. At higher speeds, they are an affront to the immutable laws of aerodynamics.

IMHO.
 
jdinaz_imp said:
That's good to hear, please let us know how you like it after your ride.
Used the shield on my 35 mile trip to work. Definitely some buffeting and wind noise but nothing that drives me crazy. Holy heck it felt so good not having freezing cold hands today. First ride in weeks that they werent frozen afterwards. Protects your hands really well. Overall body protection is good. It is a little more drafty down by my groin and upper legs. Overall the plexistar is a solid purchase for me.

Had the bike up to 95 mph and i think it actually works better at higher speeds. No wobble and it didnt seem to catch wind.
 
My winter screen does a good job keeping everything out of the breeze with extensions over my hands and legs. I call it the BUS [big ugly shield].
30515c46f94221e68e6eb776baf82d9e.jpg

I painted the inside surface black though and it helped improve the appearance a little.
 
kennyw_imp said:
My winter screen does a good job keeping everything out of the breeze with extensions over my hands and legs. I call it the BUS [big ugly shield].
30515c46f94221e68e6eb776baf82d9e.jpg

I painted the inside surface black though and it helped improve the appearance a little.
I like it! Which shield is it?
 
kennyw_imp said:
My winter screen does a good job keeping everything out of the breeze with extensions over my hands and legs. I call it the BUS [big ugly shield].
30515c46f94221e68e6eb776baf82d9e.jpg

I painted the inside surface black though and it helped improve the appearance a little.
Im going to be plastidipping my shield soon!
 
those of us with Honda ST 1300s with adjustable windshields will tell you there is NO fixed windshield that will be good in all circumstances. I adjusted my ST's windshield 3 times on this mornings ride. Maybe 1/2 inch to an inch up and down, but it made a real difference in air protection and noise management.

You have to pick a fixed shield which will make you happy "most of the time" and it will be different riding around town in the summer when it's hot, riding on the freeway or over 65 mph, depending upon which way the wind is blowing, or riding anywhere when it's cold.
 
Thread starter
I reinstalled the NC Deflector shield I have, took it out for a 60 mile ride yesterday, it was windy at times, but the small shield is a decent compromise when used with a full face helmet. Really no buffeting at all and wind noise is not bad with the turbulent wind hitting at my neck or lower. I'd like a larger screen, but I think Ferret is right. The best part was the ride on the CB1100, stable and smooth. One awesome MC !
 
Back
Top