Windshield Hell

jdinaz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm on my 3rd shield, just looking for something decent. The most recent one that's on the bike now is the 22" Parabellum Sport Shield, I took it down the hwy at speeds up to 65MPH and starting about 50, my helmet was vibrating so bad everything was a blur. Not what I expected. I'm not sure if one of the shield extensions would help any or if I would be wasting money trying one. Has anyone tried the extensions? The local dealer claims it is the best and only solution. I may go back to one of the shorter shield choices and forget about it. Frustrating.
 
I used an add on to a windshield that was causing the same problem for me. It was another bike. I used one from Laminar Lip. They are a u.s. company in CA I believe. You should check out their site because they have some info that illustrates the problem. I think that may help in identifying a solution.

A properly shaped windshield for minimizing turbulence maybe hard to find but a short screen that puts the air at the top of the chest is also a good solution.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I never had a shield on any of my bikes and still feel that I do not need one even at 80 mph. Also do not care for the looks of (most) of them.
 
Thread starter
I agree, I failed to mention the looks of a 22 inch shield. Not good. It's likely going back this week. And I'm not sure what it is, but I was always more excited about riding when it was naked with no shield. Most of the small ones look pretty good though.
 
I have the Parabellum sport fairing with the 22" shield and it's a very calm ride. I don't understand how you get that bad a helmet shake. I'm 5'10" and ride in a fairly upright position. Are you sure it's mounted correctly? I've ridden at speeds up to 100 mph with no issue on mine. Sorry for your problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
I put a parabellum sport shield on my ST1100 and found the best ride was without the second add on extension. The short shield with a full face helmet was the best solution for the turbulence.
For longer trips with a high probability of bad weather I ride with a tall shield that has a bit of turbulence but offers better weather protection. I just live with the turbulence as a trade off for relief from rain.
Jim
 
Thread starter
dwcurton_imp said:
I have the Parabellum sport fairing with the 22" shield and it's a very calm ride. I don't understand how you get that bad a helmet shake. I'm 5'10" and ride in a fairly upright position. Are you sure it's mounted correctly? I've ridden at speeds up to 100 mph with no issue on mine. Sorry for your problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks dw, there's really only one way to mount it, but I am going to call Parabellum tomorrow and see what they suggest, I'm 6' but even riding leaning over a bit didn't change much. That kind of shake makes for a miserable ride. I'm wondering if somehow the helmet is contributing to it.
 


The MRA X-creen Tour was the solution for me to eliminate buffeting and a lot of noise (I am 6'-1" Tall).

Even with this it still was not perfect, and it looks...well, you be the judge ;)

The CB1100 was the worst bike I have owned for buffeting and wind noise with a windshield. As many have noted, it looks best WITHOUT a shield and is somewhat quieter.
 
There's several members who have taken the old Vetter fairings and fixed them up with their CB1100's. Looks good, plus the old Vetter Windjammer was an excellent highway wind protection. I'd drop a bundle of cash on the first outfit to start making those new again!

I've spent way more time than normal looking through eBay for old versions, but just don't have the time to do all the work. Maybe when I win the lotto and retire.
 
dwcurton_imp said:
There's several members who have taken the old Vetter fairings and fixed them up with their CB1100's. Looks good, plus the old Vetter Windjammer was an excellent highway wind protection. I'd drop a bundle of cash on the first outfit to start making those new again!

I've spent way more time than normal looking through eBay for old versions, but just don't have the time to do all the work. Maybe when I win the lotto and retire.
Me also. There has never been a better fairing. I've had two Windjammers and nothing compares.
 
Thread starter
I was/am a big fan of the Vetters too, I know where I can get an old one, but not sure I am talented enough to figure out the bracketing. As good as they were, I wonder why they went out of business?
 
Count me among those who have given up on windshields, at least the add-on type. The only windshield I ever got along with was the built-in electrically adjustable screen on an '07 Yamaha FJR. They nailed it. Prior to that, I had a Vulcan 900 onto which I installed a National Cycles windscreen...it was torture over 60mph. I researched, bought an add-on "Laminar Lip." Not only did that setup look horrendous, but it did little for the buffeting problem. Years later, I did a 9-week 10,000 mile tour across the US and back on an '07 Bonnie T100 with nothing but an OEM flyscreen on the front. Absolute heaven. No buffeting, clean air to the helmet, no pressure at the chest even at 80mph. These experiences and the flat out ugliness of most (all?) after market windshields for naked bikes led me to choose the Road Comet II for my '14 DLX...absolutely perfect in function and appearance. Everyone's experience is different of course, but I've found flyscreens or cowlings like the Road Coment are perfect for me...mind you, that's with a full-face helmet only.
 
I tried a couple of windscreens, a Puig and a National and neither worked well. I decided the CB is not supposed to have a windscreen.
 
jdinaz_imp said:
I was/am a big fan of the Vetters too, I know where I can get an old one, but not sure I am talented enough to figure out the bracketing. As good as they were, I wonder why they went out of business?
I read a little on the Vetter fan page, but basically by the early 80's most of the bike companies decided to start offering their own fairings and get a little of that sweet cash in their pockets. The rise of the Goldwing, among others, really bit into the aftermarket pie. Why buy a naked bike and then outfit it with aftermarket parts when Honda/Kawa/Etc. offered full dress versions already.
 
I gave up on aftermarket screens years ago. Unless the screen is at least as high as the top of your helmet, you'll probably get buffeting and wind noise. For me, naked is much quieter than any aftermarket screen, with or without an accessory lip attached to it.
 
My Dad was an aeronautical engineer. You cannot just put something horizontal up in the wind. That makes the wind do spaghetti buffeting behind the screen. It has to come back towards the rider like every jumbo jet/car does. I rented a Harley one time and took the screen off for that very reason. My naked bikes with various screens, mostly wasted money. It depends on how tall you are but the faster you go, the worse it gets. I like naked bikes for that reason, or well designed tourers and sport bikes. Windjammer yes, but then, to me, it becomes the Queen Elizabeth II. But yeah it works.
 
I don’t like any. The only thing that was acceptable was on my Vulcan Classic. Even then I had to have lowers on too. Without those it sucked. Have you considered trying lowers?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I don't know how anyone can not have a windshield on their bike. If you don't have one and you are going over 50 if feels like you have to hold on for dear life.
 
On the Interstate at 80 mph I have no problem at all holding the bike steady , I am 67 but still strong enough to not need a shield.
 
Back
Top