Windscreen that fits 2014

hdvalente_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi,

Sorry for another windscreen thread but I read almost all threads regarding windscreens and I am having no luck getting them installed with good clearance.

I tried this one first:
Puig 0869H Light Smoke Naked Universal
Amazon.com: Puig 0869H Light Smoke Naked Universal Windshield for 8" Round Headlight : Automotive
But had to return it because it was touching the instruments (it probably works fine with the 2013 model).

Then I tried this one thinking it would work great because it is model specific:
Puig 7593F Naked New Generation Windscreen Honda CB1100 2013-2014
Puig Naked New Generation Windscreen Honda CB1100 2013-2014 - RevZilla
Same thing, it touches the instruments even worse than 0869 model.

I looked into Dart Flyscreen website and they only show pictures of the CB 2013, so I don't want to try it and then have to return another one.
I really liked this one but it seems that it will touch the instruments on a 2014:
https://www.dartflyscreens.com/products/honda-cb1100-marlin

I want a windscreen that is small and that will have a good clearance to the instruments. If anyone could help me suggesting a windscreen (with pictures), I would appreciate.

As a side note, I don't want it installed outside the headlight bracket.

I will ride close to a 1,000 miles on May 30th (CB Rally in AR) and if I don't have any windscreen on my CB, it will be somewhat exhausting.

Thanks!
 
Thread starter
stateboy_imp said:
Which bike do you have? I can't keep everyone's straight.
2014 STD Black
I found some info on the Dart Marlin but I don't want to have the headlight moved two inches forward, so not an option for me.
 
I have about 1/4 inch clearance from the instruments at the closest point. I have the dart flyscreen and a '13 CB.

FYI, there was complaints about the screen being too close to the instruments when the darts were first released so he made new headlight brackets that push the the headlight forward a bit for better clearance.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly ('14 w/ Marlin) but he did make a second version with greater clearance.
 
I'm a huge fan of the Marlin Fly Screen and had one on my 2013 for the past 1.5 years. Super quality, well engineered etc. On my 2013 I had plenty of clearance on the instruments and the shield itself was mounted on rubber washers for isolation. I didn't move my headlight at all. I did use their nicely CNC milled mounts to replace the stock Honda ones. I can't imagine MARLIN would make a poorly engineered product for the 14 and put it on sale when they went through so much trouble on the 13 version. E-mail them with your concern. I'm sure you'll get an answer back ASAP.

All that being said I just took off the Marlin screen and replaced it with a custom full aluminum fly screen I had laying around just to see what it would look like. I like it. Bonus was I drilled the holes in the aluminum using the marlin as a template and it bolted directly to their mounts. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thanks curlyjoe!

I found some pictures of the Dart flyscreens installed and I don't like the headlight moving forward close to two inches.

I believe I will end up not installing any windscreen.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Frulk_imp said:
I'm a huge fan of the Marlin Fly Screen and had one on my 2013 for the past 1.5 years. Super quality, well engineered etc. On my 2013 I had plenty of clearance on the instruments and the shield itself was mounted on rubber washers for isolation. I didn't move my headlight at all. I did use their nicely CNC milled mounts to replace the stock Honda ones. I can't imagine MARLIN would make a poorly engineered product for the 14 and put it on sale when they went through so much trouble on the 13 version. E-mail them with your concern. I'm sure you'll get an answer back ASAP.

All that being said I just took off the Marlin screen and replaced it with a custom full aluminum fly screen I had laying around just to see what it would look like. I like it. Bonus was I drilled the holes in the aluminum using the marlin as a template and it bolted directly to their mounts. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info Frulk!

I did send an email asking about the 2014 installation (this morning) but most likely I won't use any of the Dart flyscreens because of the headlight relocation. I don't like making changes on the stock parts of the bike to fit accessories.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
 
I went out and superposed the stock brackets onto the dart brackets and the dart brackets move the headlight forward 3/4 of an inch.

Takes 7-10 business days for delivery so it might be cutting it close.
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
I went out and superposed the stock brackets onto the dart brackets and the dart brackets move the headlight forward 3/4 of an inch.

Takes 7-10 business days for delivery so it might be cutting it close.
But yours is the old model, right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
 
hdvalente_imp said:
curlyjoe_imp said:
I went out and superposed the stock brackets onto the dart brackets and the dart brackets move the headlight forward 3/4 of an inch.

Takes 7-10 business days for delivery so it might be cutting it close.
But yours is the old model, right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
But yours is the old model, right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I thought I have the new brackets but I have the dart classic screen. I think for long trips on the highway, it will still be tiring. It protects my chest/abdomen but I still get wind on my shoulders and arms.
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
hdvalente_imp said:
curlyjoe_imp said:
I went out and superposed the stock brackets onto the dart brackets and the dart brackets move the headlight forward 3/4 of an inch.

Takes 7-10 business days for delivery so it might be cutting it close.
But yours is the old model, right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
But yours is the old model, right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I thought I have the new brackets but I have the dart classic screen. I think for long trips on the highway, it will still be tiring. It protects my chest/abdomen but I still get wind on my shoulders and arms.
But yours is the old model, right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I thought I have the new brackets but I have the dart classic screen. I think for long trips on the highway, it will still be tiring. It protects my chest/abdomen but I still get wind on my shoulders and arms.
1f2e43178e4e052a0c40f78a3453c746.png


Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
 
I have a 2014 dlx. In the fall and when on a trip, I use a cut down NC Street Shield EX. It bolts to the handlebars and upper fork legs. I have it so the top of the shield is approx 10" over the ign switch. There is approx 3/4" clearance above the headlight bucket. And maybe 1/2" clearance from the instruments, but all the clearances are adjustable. Anything over 10" and below 22" seems to create turbulence noise and head bobbling.

My head and neck are in clean air, the shield keeps the wind pressure off my chest ( and tank bag) which is really all I require. It is off right now for local riding in these temps, but will go on next week for my trip to Ark.
 
Thread starter
JEB_imp said:
I just put this 12 inch Puig on my 2014 today. Puig Naked New Generation Windscreen Honda CB1100 2013-2014 - RevZilla

$126 at Revzilla, very easy install, free shipping. I haven't tried it, yet, so don't know how it will perform. I'm used to a giant, billboard-sized screen on the Victory I last rode for 16 years, so it will be different.
Hi JEB,
That is the one that I just tried on mine. The side screws touch the instruments, no clearance at all. I believe if you keep it installed permanently it shouldn't matter but I plan to remove it if not riding all day.
The ferret_imp said:
I have a 2014 dlx. In the fall and when on a trip, I use a cut down NC Street Shield EX. It bolts to the handlebars and upper fork legs. I have it so the top of the shield is approx 10" over the ign switch. There is approx 3/4" clearance above the headlight bucket. And maybe 1/2" clearance from the instruments, but all the clearances are adjustable. Anything over 10" and below 22" seems to create turbulence noise and head bobbling.

My head and neck are in clean air, the shield keeps the wind pressure off my chest ( and tank bag) which is really all I require. It is off right now for local riding in these temps, but will go on next week for my trip to Ark.
Do you have a side view of it?
I am thinking about this one from Samurider but it has 3 options for size:
ChicDesign:Guyra-shield,2014-2016 CB1100/DLX/EX | Samurider.com
Small


Medium


Large
 
I'm sure my big ugly screen would fit a 2014. The small Emgo screen might fit with a little careful trimming.
b15c83aadda70284ec87f324857065c7.jpg
a18e83f39c050e0cc97056628f64e7e7.jpg
 
It doesnt come from Samurider it comes from Natl Cycle or one of it's distrubtors in the US. Probably get one in 2 days.

Nice thing is 5 mins on, 5 mins off, if you are taking your time.
 
Thread starter
I just requested a quote to Mr. T and asked about estimated delivery date.

I also requested a quote on a Road Comet 1 (although I am not planning to spend that much money on a windscreen), like this one:


The ferret_imp said:
It doesnt come from Samurider it comes from Natl Cycle or one of it's distrubtors in the US. Probably get one in 2 days.

Nice thing is 5 mins on, 5 mins off, if you are taking your time.
Sorry, I was referring to the Chic Design Guyra model.
I wanted to see your windscreen to compare the height with the Guyra size options.
kennyw_imp said:
I'm sure my big ugly screen would fit a 2014. The small Emgo screen might fit with a little careful trimming.
b15c83aadda70284ec87f324857065c7.jpg
a18e83f39c050e0cc97056628f64e7e7.jpg
Thanks kennyw, but I want to keep the CB as close to stock look as possible.
The ferret_imp said:
It doesnt come from Samurider it comes from Natl Cycle or one of it's distrubtors in the US. Probably get one in 2 days.

Nice thing is 5 mins on, 5 mins off, if you are taking your time.
You had to cut yours to get the best wind protection without buffeting, right?
 
Back
Top