wind screen you recommend for this

scott will_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
most of the time i enjoy riding in the wind. this weekend i took my girl out for about 120 miles, mostly under 60mph and it was great, but over 60 on some faster moving highways wasnt that comfortable.

i have an open faced helmet, im 6ft have the bars raised an inch and angled back so i sit straight up when i ride.

the weather is so nice here ide like to take some longer rides and sooner or later will wind up on roads where the traffic moves around that 80 mph point.

thanks for the input guys. i have read some screens are better for this that others and would rather listen to experience than buy several till i find the right one.
 
A lot of us use the National Cycle Street Shield EX and at your height I wouldn't think buffeting would be much of an issue that affects us little guys. Easy on easy off, and leaves little behind. Search by Street Shield EX in the search engine here, for lots of info regarding it.


 
I'm 6 Ft and use Nationals 'Deflector' Shield. This shot is from
the first ride I took after installing it. I've since lowered the screen so
it sits just above the headlight. I feel just a small amount of buffeting
at the shoulder level... but it definitely made a difference in how the bike feels
on the highway. I bought this shield because I wanted the smallest one I
could get in order to keep it from detracting from the lines of the bike
while still giving me a benefit from having it. I think it works fine.
Good luck!



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oops... Here's the photo.
ac3ae85bc528826a280c09bce4dc6d8f.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The upright riding position really makes a windshield desirable at speeds over 65 mph. I was really feeling like my upper body was a parachute and was straining to hang on on the freeway at 75-80 mph.

I wanted a small shield that wouldn't block too much air when it's hot in the summer, yet big enough to take the pressure off my torso. I also wanted something that wouldn't interfere with the natural lines of the bike. I ended up with the Nat. Cycle Deflector DX. Worked great. My helmet was still in the breeze for good airflow, but the wind was blocked from my chest. I like it so much I ordered another one for my CB750.

51f45819c69e7984d74a9abe9a72b554.jpg


e46eecde1b40a37c155f61394fb21946.jpg
 
Thread starter
thanks guys
i rode in to work yesterday 40 miles one way on a busy freeway here. now granted its nice here but in the morn presunrise it chilly maybe 40 something. really windy ride. i broke down and ordered a national shield. amazon had the tinted dx for $100
 
Love Amazon, I found my EX shield for $142, company looked to be in Washington state, but it shipped from Tennessee so it was here in a few days. Dang weather has been bad and haven't had a chance to try it out yet.:(
 
From Amazon:

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Bar - Light Tint N2567-01

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Handlebars / Light Tint N2567-02
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The upright riding position really makes a windshield desirable at speeds over 65 mph. I was really feeling like my upper body was a parachute and was straining to hang on on the freeway at 75-80 mph.

I wanted a small shield that wouldn't block too much air when it's hot in the summer, yet big enough to take the pressure off my torso. I also wanted something that wouldn't interfere with the natural lines of the bike. I ended up with the Nat. Cycle Deflector DX. Worked great. My helmet was still in the breeze for good airflow, but the wind was blocked from my chest. I like it so much I ordered another one for my CB750.

51f45819c69e7984d74a9abe9a72b554.jpg


e46eecde1b40a37c155f61394fb21946.jpg
What he said.... I realized I needed a small windscreen during my first ride home and went past 60mph... Have the same ND Deflector.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
When I was first riding, the national speed limit was 55. Windscreens were nice but never pined for one until I got a 550 and wanted to tour more; which meant bad weather, cold weather etc. Then it was nice.

But today with the higher limits; a windscreen is almost mandatory. I think I want one for my XR650L.
 
Dakota_imp said:
From Amazon:

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Bar - Light Tint N2567-01

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Handlebars / Light Tint N2567-02
Hard to say. National Cycle's website doesn't show -01 or -02 variants. The only difference I see between the two Amazon listings are that they're sold by different companies.

On other sites like Bike Bandit, they also have two versions (one of them listed as -02), but the descriptions like tint, size and bars seem to be the same. :huh: :huh:

That might be a good question to send in to National Cycle. When you order on their site, they take your bike's make and model into account, so maybe there is a fitment issue.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
From Amazon:

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Bar - Light Tint N2567-01

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Handlebars / Light Tint N2567-02
Hard to say. National Cycle's website doesn't show -01 or -02 variants. The only difference I see between the two Amazon listings are that they're sold by different companies.

On other sites like Bike Bandit, they also have two versions (one of them listed as -02), but the descriptions like tint, size and bars seem to be the same. :huh: :huh:

That might be a good question to send in to National Cycle. When you order on their site, they take your bike's make and model into account, so maybe there is a fitment issue.
Hard to say. National Cycle's website doesn't show -01 or -02 variants. The only difference I see between the two Amazon listings are that they're sold by different companies.

On other sites like Bike Bandit, they also have two versions (one of them listed as -02), but the descriptions like tint, size and bars seem to be the same. :huh: :huh:

That might be a good question to send in to National Cycle. When you order on their site, they take your bike's make and model into account, so maybe there is a fitment issue.
I am looking at one of these windscreens as well and I have seen it mention for solid bars in some descriptions. Anyone know what that is all about?

Has anyone sent this is national cycle yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
When I was in AZ o had 2 screens, a larger one for the cold season, and a small one for the warmer months.

Screens are like underdrawers: there are briefs, boxers, boxer-briefs, and, apparently, thongs. Which style will work for you will depend on a number of factors.
 
"I am looking at one of these windscreens as well and I have seen it mention for solid bars in some descriptions. Anyone know what that is all about?"

This goes way back to the 80s I think ,they had a clamp kit for some of the Yamahas with cast handle bars. I think they called it "for non-tubular bars"
 
dBuster_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
From Amazon:

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Bar - Light Tint N2567-01

National Cycle Street Shield EX - 7/8in. Handlebars / Light Tint N2567-02
Hard to say. National Cycle's website doesn't show -01 or -02 variants. The only difference I see between the two Amazon listings are that they're sold by different companies.

On other sites like Bike Bandit, they also have two versions (one of them listed as -02), but the descriptions like tint, size and bars seem to be the same. :huh: :huh:

That might be a good question to send in to National Cycle. When you order on their site, they take your bike's make and model into account, so maybe there is a fitment issue.
Hard to say. National Cycle's website doesn't show -01 or -02 variants. The only difference I see between the two Amazon listings are that they're sold by different companies.

On other sites like Bike Bandit, they also have two versions (one of them listed as -02), but the descriptions like tint, size and bars seem to be the same. :huh: :huh:

That might be a good question to send in to National Cycle. When you order on their site, they take your bike's make and model into account, so maybe there is a fitment issue.
I am looking at one of these windscreens as well and I have seen it mention for solid bars in some descriptions. Anyone know what that is all about?

Has anyone sent this is national cycle yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Hard to say. National Cycle's website doesn't show -01 or -02 variants. The only difference I see between the two Amazon listings are that they're sold by different companies.

On other sites like Bike Bandit, they also have two versions (one of them listed as -02), but the descriptions like tint, size and bars seem to be the same. :huh: :huh:

That might be a good question to send in to National Cycle. When you order on their site, they take your bike's make and model into account, so maybe there is a fitment issue.
I am looking at one of these windscreens as well and I have seen it mention for solid bars in some descriptions. Anyone know what that is all about?

Has anyone sent this is national cycle yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I have heard back, this is the reply I received about the 1 or 2 issue. I will reply back asking about the solid bars question also.

Quote:Hello David

You must be looking at a different website than National Cycle, "-01" is 1 unit, "-02" is for 2 units.

Thank you
Paul

-- 

Paul Gomez
Market Development &
Aftermarket Sales Manager
National Cycle, Inc

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Just installed the Honda wind screen from Japan, expensive ($500) but it looks and works great! ordered and received in less than two weeks,totally breaks the wind from the chest but lets your head stay in the cool breeze.
 
StackMan_imp said:
Just installed the Honda wind screen from Japan, expensive ($500) but it looks and works great! ordered and received in less than two weeks,totally breaks the wind from the chest but lets your head stay in the cool breeze.
I don't think anyone on this forum has installed one of those yet. At least I don't remember seeing one. Pics please!
 
Yes pics please! I checked my stealership a few weeks back to see if they had an image of the official Honda wind screen and they did not. Looking to see what this expensive accessory looks like!

Wonder if it is as string as national cycles street shield I believe, the one that can take a strike from a baseball bat supposedly...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Ferret, did you cut your shield down or leave it alone?

I bit the bullet today and ordered a street shield ex for $124 new off of amazon.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top