to puig or not to puig (or, which Puig screens fit ?)

Haggard Rider_imp said:
Having tried a Dart Marlin, an MRA Custom shield and a Puig bikini-style fairing on both RS and non-RS CB1100's, for me, nothing works better than nothing at all.

Both the Dart and the Puig concentrate the wind across my upper chest, shoulders and base of the helmet creating much more noise and a greater sensitivity to air blast from other vehicles.

The MRA, which I used only once (and with a top deflector fitted) produced a very weird effect - I first noticed it after about 30mins of use when the characters on a big illuminated motorway/highway dot-matrix sign appeared to be blurred/vibrating. Nothing else looked like the though.

Anyway, an hour or so later I stopped for petrol, got off the bike and promptly staggered for a couple of steps or so (never done that before). Put that down to old age and galloping senility.

Another hour after that, I stopped at a POI site. Got off the bike, staggered again, brain felt mushy, tried and failed to think of words when engaged in conversation, but felt 'ok in myself'.

Got home, tried to do my normal full-lock u-turn on my sloping drive and dropped the bike! Certainly not done that before, with any bike!! No damage done except to a frame slider and RLET

What i think may have been the cause was something like a high frequency 'micro-buffeting' effect from the MRA screen which was kind of oscillating/bouncing, especially when on less smooth road surfaces, as it had only the two bar bars to hold it steady/fixed.

I've no idea if this was the actual case, or if I was 'ill' but I took that screen off as soon as I got the bike into the garage! Not had the same symptoms since.

Just something that happened to me and you may want to be aware of.

Of course, YMMV!!
Serious indeed, stumbling like that is usually reserved when exiting the pub! This my PUIG Sport, it lasted a very very short time as it created blinding headaches with the extra wind noise.

 
Really Enzo? You were born naked right? :D
 
I don’t like screens on naked bikes. Not only they do detract the looks of the bike but, in my experience, they create added noises, turbulence at head level and some sailing effects with prevailing winds. A flyscreen could do but just for avoiding insects on your jacket
It is only on proper big touring bikes where factory wind protection can be quite helpful
 
Classico_imp said:
I don’t like screens on naked bikes. Not only they do detract the looks of the bike but, in my experience, they create added noises, turbulence at head level and some sailing effects with prevailing winds. A flyscreen could do but just for avoiding insects on your jacket
It is only on proper big touring bikes where factory wind protection can be quite helpful
Most would likely agree in regards to the impediment of CB appearance. I too.

For cold weather riding, it is essential. For all day freeway riding, it is almost a safety option.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Tev, if I had a TD in my garage, I would get dizzy trying to decide whether to drive it or the CB.
It is a quandary alright Nachodaddy. I was out for a 200km breakfast run on my other bike Sunday and came back and the sun was still shining so the TD got fired up for a little spin. It has been resting pretty much all winter and it just fired right up. The TD's front windshield folds forward giving you an unimpeded front view and no helmet or seatbelt, almost as liberating as a motorcycle. :D

 
Thread starter
Classico_imp said:
I don’t like screens on naked bikes. Not only they do detract the looks of the bike but, in my experience, they create added noises, turbulence at head level and some sailing effects with prevailing winds. A flyscreen could do but just for avoiding insects on your jacket
It is only on proper big touring bikes where factory wind protection can be quite helpful
Do wholeheartedly agree with you. The screen I show in the beginning of this thread I do use only in winter, and low temps, when the icy air pressure on my chest becomes unbearable.
Tev62_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Tev, if I had a TD in my garage, I would get dizzy trying to decide whether to drive it or the CB.
It is a quandary alright Nachodaddy. I was out for a 200km breakfast run on my other bike Sunday and came back and the sun was still shining so the TD got fired up for a little spin. It has been resting pretty much all winter and it just fired right up. The TD's front windshield folds forward giving you an unimpeded front view and no helmet or seatbelt, almost as liberating as a motorcycle. :D
It is a quandary alright Nachodaddy. I was out for a 200km breakfast run on my other bike Sunday and came back and the sun was still shining so the TD got fired up for a little spin. It has been resting pretty much all winter and it just fired right up. The TD's front windshield folds forward giving you an unimpeded front view and no helmet or seatbelt, almost as liberating as a motorcycle. :D
If I rode my CB to where you park your TD, coming summer, would you give me a "ride" in the TD with screen folded down ? TD is an MG old-timer from the early 50's, right ?
 
Long, Long ago, when I was working my way through junior college in Miami, Fl, I dated a girl who had a red MG TF. Should have married that girl. She obviously had great taste in men and machines.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Classico_imp said:
I don’t like screens on naked bikes. Not only they do detract the looks of the bike but, in my experience, they create added noises, turbulence at head level and some sailing effects with prevailing winds. A flyscreen could do but just for avoiding insects on your jacket
It is only on proper big touring bikes where factory wind protection can be quite helpful
Do wholeheartedly agree with you. The screen I show in the beginning of this thread I do use only in winter, and low temps, when the icy air pressure on my chest becomes unbearable.
Tev62_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Tev, if I had a TD in my garage, I would get dizzy trying to decide whether to drive it or the CB.
It is a quandary alright Nachodaddy. I was out for a 200km breakfast run on my other bike Sunday and came back and the sun was still shining so the TD got fired up for a little spin. It has been resting pretty much all winter and it just fired right up. The TD's front windshield folds forward giving you an unimpeded front view and no helmet or seatbelt, almost as liberating as a motorcycle. :D
It is a quandary alright Nachodaddy. I was out for a 200km breakfast run on my other bike Sunday and came back and the sun was still shining so the TD got fired up for a little spin. It has been resting pretty much all winter and it just fired right up. The TD's front windshield folds forward giving you an unimpeded front view and no helmet or seatbelt, almost as liberating as a motorcycle. :D
If I rode my CB to where you park your TD, coming summer, would you give me a "ride" in the TD with screen folded down ? TD is an MG old-timer from the early 50's, right ?
More than welcome. Yes, this one is a 1952, ten years older than me.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Went to a accessory shop today, to check out wind-screens for my 2017 EX. Full set of measurements in my pockets, and photos of my headlight, the headlight brackets, and all the rest. My own requirements:
- rapid mount, rapid removal of the screen,
- quality and solid mounting, able to withstand many install/removal cycles without damage to the screen, the mount or the m/c,
- easy adjust of the angle of attack (at least to some degree)
- good protection of my upper body from icy winds in winter,
- cheap (so I don't mind dumping if it doesn't work for me),
- less important ... but still : no or little buffeting at higher speeds.

They had three Puig screens in stock, claimed all three a fit on all CB1100/s - the Mini (~ 25$), the Vision (~ 40$), and the Custom (~ 75$), the first two mounted on the headlight bracket, the last one with versatile mounting on the handlebar (photos follow tomorrow).

Detailed measurements of the EX headlight bracket showed that one would have to squeeze the lower end of the Mini and/or the Vision, and I mean squeeze really hard to make it fit. No doubt in conflict with my 2nd requirement. This will result in micro cracks - sooner or later - where the screws go through the plastic.

So I brought the Custom screen home. Looks like good quality, fits the EX (and probably all earlier models), and last not least all my other boxes ticked. A ride report to follow on the next sunny day.
I know I am late to the party, but still... I mounted the Vision on my CB1100 2013 and tested it on a couple of rides and these are the takeaways:[ul] [li]Either puig has changed something, or the EX headlight is different from the standard CB, because the screen fits like a glove, no problem.[/li] [li]Decent lower-torso protection up to 70-75 mph, you can feel the wind being pushed under your arms rather than coming straight at you[/li] [li]No use at 75 mph, and at any rate at that speed you would ideally be lying flat on the tank, in which case the vision does offer some additional protection (tried for the fun of it, and pushed to about 90 mph))
[/li][/ul]
The way it looks is really subjective... I neither love it nor hate it. Since I can't find the chrome instrument covers, this it the best way I could find to hide the ugly plastic ones :D



[url=https://ibb.co/mHK0kNc]
 
j3gq_imp said:
a better photo than the last one ... to show how invisible this screen can be ... from a little further apart and in ambient light. Does it matter ? Some say yes, some say no, but I just don't like to spoil the looks of my baby.

938b5322372b0b3c9f33edfc7db03cd8.
Hi j3gp,
I’ve been looking at all sorts of windscreens in clear. Your photo shows exactly what I’m looking for!
Could you supply me Brand, model and where to purchase this one?
Thanks,
sleeper/RajunCajun EX#97
 
Thread starter
@sleeper, I am so sorry I missed your request on the screen. Saw it only today. Here in Europe it is called Puig Custom, it may be differently called in the U.S.It comes in 2 shades, transparent and grey.

Please check it out on the site http://www.louis.de, ignore the language, just search for the product. This might help you to find the U.S. model name and supplier.
Good luck
 
Back
Top