Wildflower Ride Update

First time I've ever wanted to visit Dearh Valley for reasons other than the challenge of dealing with the heat and dry. Wonderful.
 
Fabulous photograph, nvbobr.
 
I just watched a story about the Death Valley wild flower bloom on the CBS Saturday evening news. Thanks to Bob I had quite the preview. Thanks Bob!
 
How is the traffic in the park and area? I've been considering a trip but the lodgings have filled up.

Thinking about taking the Griso or pickup (took the CB last November) to get some wild flower pics.
 
Thread starter
capttwb136_imp said:
I just watched a story about the Death Valley wild flower bloom on the CBS Saturday evening news. Thanks to Bob I had quite the preview. Thanks Bob!
Thank you! I was lucky that this year's superbloom, the best since 2005, coincided with my decision to get the CB in order to spend more time "smelling the roses" compared to just racking up miles on the Goldwing.

The CB is also easier to park on the side of the road.

 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
How is the traffic in the park and area? I've been considering a trip but the lodgings have filled up.

Thinking about taking the Griso or pickup (took the CB last November) to get some wild flower pics.
Rboe,

My wife and I traveled by car on Friday to Furnace Creek along Hwy 190 from the east entrance. For a weekday, it was as busy as I've seen it in the Park. We also had NASCAR weekend in town the past few days, a possible contributing factor to congestion. Word has gotten out, for sure about the bloom, but there's still good parking along all the roads in the Park. Just get out and walk any of the drainages to see some real diversity. My round trip from home to Furnace creek and back is 250 miles. With NASCAR over with, the locals' casinos in NW Las Vegas should have rooms. You could also check out Beatty, NV. You have probably seen it online, already, but the NPS has a weekly Wildflower Update Report describing the hot spots. Good luck and happy hunting!

CommonSpot Error
 
Thread starter
Here are some recent photos, all taken on Friday except the last two:


Golden Evening Primrose


Desert Five Spot


Purple Mat


Gravel Ghost with flowing water near Hwy 190


Robust Plants


Gravel Ghost close-up. I like the way the light hits this.


Beatty Cut-Off Road, one my favorite motorcycle routes. Photo taken earlier in the week, visited with CB.


Field of Desert Gold photographed along the Badwater Road two weeks ago.
 
Very cool photos Bob.

How long is the road thru Death Valley? And would this be the best time of the year to ride it?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Very cool photos Bob.

How long is the road thru Death Valley? And would this be the best time of the year to ride it?
Ferret,

The primary blacktop road through the National Park is California Highway 190. From boundary to boundary, it spans about 80 miles with gas available at Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells, and Panamint Springs. Now is probably the best time to visit (at least on a motorcycle!), but the park is surprisingly full with European visitors during the summer. Summer is also the time when automobile makers test highly disguised prototype vehicles in the park, and are stalked by car paparazzi. Here's a local story on that cat and mouse game from August 2013.

Las Vegas News | Breaking News & Headlines | Las Vegas Review-Journal

An official link about when to visit the park is on the NPS website.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/seasons.htm
 
80 miles isn't too bad even if it is hot lol..I mean how hot can it get? Just don't break down right?
 
Hot enough that you need knobbies just to ride the asphalt. :D

I'm thinking early next week. We'll see.
 
Quote:
Dang! That's one twisty road. :P
 
It is when you are dodging coyotes, rabbits, snakes, road runners and half starved miners crawling across the desert looking for water..... :angel:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Quote:
Dang! That's one twisty road. :P
Hmm, Maybe that's why my tires are kind of squared off. Seriously, Hwy. 190 west of Panamint Springs in the park is quite twisty. That's the place to go for fun.
 
Back
Top