Two to Twisp

Jonz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've been back a week now so it's past time for a report. Twisp is a small town in the Methow valley in north central Washington state. I've been there before years ago, in winter, to use as a base camp for cross country skiing. HWY 20 (know as the "North Cascades Highway") is one of the most amazing ways to travel across the mountains and passes through Twisp.
This trip was an experiment to see if Lesli and I could comfortably vacation on the bike for more than a day ride. Happily, except for the ugliness of the luggage that long predates the CB (and Lesli for that matter), we had a fantastic time! For the 4 days we were out a total of around 550 miles, so we didn't push it hard. The rain wasn't much of an issue, a good thing to learn for vacationing most of the year in the Pacific NW, and the sun actually was out the whole 200 miles home! The way my bags work over the passenger seat raises Lesli about 3", which she loved. The increased distance to her foot pegs and ability to see over my head (at least a little), along with a sheep skin pad I'd found in my garage made for longer times between her need to get off and walk around. Also we stopped for many many pics.
From Seattle up I-5 to 530 (Mountain Loop HWY). Many of you may have heard of of the tragedy a year and a half ago when the town of Oso was covered by a mud slide, lots of death and sadness. The first pic is from the site of the destruction.

Then on the way up to the pass near Ross Lake.

[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/IMG_5080_zpsm0pz5ooo.jpg.html]
A little closer to the Rainy Pass, the 1st of 2 passes.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/IMG_5089_2_zps1zvbuay7.jpg.html]
On the eastern slopes the town of Winthrop is 8 miles north of Twisp and a little bigger.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/P1000387_zpsfjujjfeh.jpg.html]
The Idle-A-While Motel in Twisp.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/P1000342_zpsqz8tyjym.jpg.html]

Lots of rides to take, and places to walk.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/P1000363_zpskro5uk0h.jpg.html]
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/P1000393_zps5r5v7lc4.jpg.html]
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/P1000391_zpsm2kvadiw.jpg.html]
Went for ride/walk to Pipestone Canyon. My 1st gravel road on the CB, and my 1st stream crossing.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/P1000423_zpsabtt0rqq.jpg.html]
Campbell Lake was the trail head.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/IMG_5156_zpsrejyzvzk.jpg.html]

Last year there was a large forest fire that the canyon was on the edge of. The view of the cliffs benefited.
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/P1000433_zpsdibnieux.jpg.html]

Then it was time to come home. Snow at Washington Pass closed a great viewpoint road.

[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/IMG_5180_zpshr0leahc.jpg.html]
[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/IMG_5179_zpswwsi0j63.jpg.html]

[url=http://s300.photobucket.com/user/jonz1/media/Twisp/IMG_5172_zpslf9wzzcy.jpg.html]
Thanks for looking.Jon Z
 
Looks like a great trip and fantastic photos. I agree, that last shot of the two of you in the mirror with the beautiful scenery in the background is a special one. Thanks for the write up!
 
Lovely report and beautiful pics! My brother and I almost stayed in Twisp two years ago but moved on to Omak instead. The Cascades are a fun area to ride in!
 
What a beautiful place to live. Love the pics. So cool. And yes the last one is special! Thanks for posting up these great ride reports.
 
Beautiful. Not much in the way of natural pine forest in mainland OZ so what you have posted is appealing to me. Such a big, big world. Thanks for posting.

Cheers and well done.
 
Thread starter
We had a great time and sharing the trip makes it even better! The "Flyscreen" works well. I don't have a lot of experience with other screens or shields, but I don't know what else I would want it to do. Jon Z
 
Jonz,

Great pics. Thanks!

Why is that town "Trails End"? Was it a gold rush town, or a logging town?
 
Thread starter
Popgun- I have 2 guesses as to why Winthrop has a store called "Trails End".1- Twisp and Winthrop (Winthrop is small but bigger than Twisp) are THE destination for cross country skiers and snowshoers. The snow is great and the forests are more wide open than the dense eastern slopes of the Cascades. When folks return from playing in the cold they're at "trails end"
OK that's weak.
2-Winthrop is as far upstream on the Methow river as farming takes place.The valley closes in and climbs. There is a lot of ranching up river though.But crops will be taken down to Wenatchee, or somewhere south. That might make Winthrop the trails end.
OK even weaker.
Lets go with a gold rush!
I'll ask next time I'm there. Jon Z
 
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story Jonz. The ride reports on this forum are a constant reminder that there are many beautiful and interesting places in this extraordinary world. You and Lesli look appropriately happy in the final shot.
 
Back
Top