Why the CB1100 will never be a big seller

Mikestib1_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Honda sells so many great products, from Acura to lawn mowers,generators, we can't expect them to spend the money on marketing that many motorcycle only manufacturers spend. It's fine with me, I know the CB is superior to any Triumph, Harley,or Indian twin. If the rest of the world doesn't understand the engineering and quality it represents,that's fine. I've owned 50 bikes in 67 years and the CB is an exceptional machine. I'm prejudiced as my first bike was a CA105 fifty cc step through 3 speeds and an automatic clutch.
 
This is my very first bike for which I made the driving license 4 month ago. Last autumn, when I drove threw our town, there were a lot of Harleys, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Hondas, triumphs, etc., Most of them twice, three or four times, and I am glad, I bought the cb1100ex. Can't wait for spring
 
The CB1100 is a great bike but not a huge seller mainly because it's a niche bike which focuses on a particular group. Their is a YouTube video done by motorcycle.com which sums it up pretty well. They compare this bike to some others and state this bike is well refined and does everything right but they went a little over board with keeping the power and styling a little too 1970s and early 80s, it would have been nice if they brought up its wow factor. They called the other bikes a raging bull compared to the CB as being veal. Bikes are always subject to opinion and the owner will defend it to the death because it's theirs and they love it. This bike simply does not appeal to a large crowd. It's not popular amongst younger riders and doesn't have a Triumph or Harley type following. It's a great bike and the owners will love it but that crowd is small and the aftermarket base is small too.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
My 27 year old son, once a sport bike rider, asked me when I bought mine why I purchased a bike that looks so old. My answer: "Because I can".


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Here in Canada a Standard model would cost about $15,000 out the door with dealer costs, Federal and Provincial Sales Taxes. I don't like the twisted discoloured headers and lopsided 4-into-1 exhaust system, so I won't buy one.

It would have cost me $20,000 Canadian to buy the American 2014 Deluxe model because of the currency exchange, Federal and Provincial Sales Taxes.

I hoped that Honda Canada would offer the 2017 EX model. But they are still trying to sell the ugly blackened 2016 standard model at full price.

But I have a motorcycle to ride and enjoy. So I will wait until something second hand can be bought at reasonable price.
 
Thread starter
I'm happy with my 2013 and don't think it looks old. To each their own. Compared to a air cooled 4 from the seventies or eighties it is a different machine. The brakes and engine are much more powerful. Like I said, I'm biased.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Here in Canada a Standard model would cost about $15,000 out the door with dealer costs, Federal and Provincial Sales Taxes. I don't like the twisted discoloured headers and lopsided 4-into-1 exhaust system, so I won't buy one.

It would have cost me $20,000 Canadian to buy the American 2014 Deluxe model because of the currency exchange, Federal and Provincial Sales Taxes.

I hoped that Honda Canada would offer the 2017 EX model. But they are still trying to sell the ugly blackened 2016 standard model at full price.

But I have a motorcycle to ride and enjoy. So I will wait until something second hand can be bought at reasonable price.
It looks absolutely gorgeous when bought at less than 8k : )
 
mtneers_imp said:
My 27 year old son, once a sport bike rider, asked me when I bought mine why I purchased a bike that looks so old. My answer: "Because I can".


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lol I bet in 30-40 years he'll be pining for a bike styled after a preying mantis!
 
Mikestib1_imp said:
Honda sells so many great products, from Acura to lawn mowers,generators, we can't expect them to spend the money on marketing that many motorcycle only manufacturers spend. It's fine with me, I know the CB is superior to any Triumph, Harley,or Indian twin. If the rest of the world doesn't understand the engineering and quality it represents,that's fine. I've owned 50 bikes in 67 years and the CB is an exceptional machine. I'm prejudiced as my first bike was a CA105 fifty cc step through 3 speeds and an automatic clutch.
This makes no sense to me. The broad spectrum of products should mean they could buy blocks of ad space much more efficiently. Do an occasional Moto ad and pitch several bikes in a 30 sec spot. They did the "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign when they were a much smaller company with way fewer models.

I have to think that ANY attempt to get the word out would have doubled sales or at least gotten people into the dealer.
 
For reference, Triumph sold a total of approximately 50,000 motorcycles worldwide in 2016. Honda sold something like 1.5 million. They spend over $200 million on car advertising in the US alone. They can do whatever they want. They would produce as many CB's as they possibly could sell.

Recall Ferrett's posting about Honda building precisely the bike they wanted to? I concur. And they advertise it precisely as much as they want to. I'm in that business and have worked with Honda on campaigns.

Regarding Nortoon's vivid comments about the ugliness of CB's, in that this is a tight forum, and 99 % of the members own 'ugly blacked out / twisted pipes' bikes, a little common courtesy might be a good idea.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
For reference, Triumph sold a total of approximately 50,000 motorcycles worldwide in 2016. Honda sold something like 1.5 million. They spend over $200 million on car advertising in the US alone. They can do whatever they want. They would produce as many CB's as they possibly could sell.

Recall Ferrett's posting about Honda building precisely the bike they wanted to? I concur. And they advertise it precisely as much as they want to. I'm in that business and have worked with Honda on campaigns.

Regarding Nortoon's vivid comments about the ugliness of CB's, in that this is a tight forum, and 99 % of the members own 'ugly blacked out / twisted pipes' bikes, a little common courtesy might be a good idea.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbsup: from a owner of a "beautiful" black standard!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
mtneers_imp said:
My 27 year old son, once a sport bike rider, asked me when I bought mine why I purchased a bike that looks so old. My answer: "Because I can".


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lol I bet in 30-40 years he'll be pining for a bike styled after a preying mantis!
cb616229c935620856bee6aa77a68635.jpg
 
You have cruisers, adventure bikes, dirt bikes, sport bikes, uber licensed race bikes - and now a retro in line four UJM. Indeed a niche bike. A niche that is not all that big compared to some of the more traditional market segments and I strongly suspect a shrinking segment as the customer base is aging/dying out of the market. Very few youngsters will buy it for retro reasons (but hey, the basic design is still sound but it's tough to sell compared to more modern designs).

It would be most enlightening to see the CB1100 sales compared to the entire Honda motorcycle lineup - and even other manufactures. We're kinda spittin' in the wind here without actual numbers. It may actually be a decent performer!
 
Yes Honda sells a lot of bikes. They sell a lot of 250s and little bikes all over the world like in Thailand and Malaysia. They do not sell a ton of CB1100s in the US. How many bikes and types of bikes does not reflect US sales in one particular category. Yes Honda built exactly what they wanted and that being said it's a niche bike that not everyone wants. Honda can do whatever they want and I like my CB but by no means are they on top when it comes to bikes anymore. They have been lacking in the performance aspect for years. Yamaha is the hottest company right now in the big four Japanese bikes. Remember the crowd here, we are here for our own reasons and not the reasons of the general bike community.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
And BTW, I own and love one of those so called ugly blacked out CBS. All subject to opinion. If someone doesn't like it then move on.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
If we were here for the U.S. general bike community this would be a Harley forum. Remember though that this forum has members from 21 countries even if we are U.S. based.
 
Motorcycles have moved away from being general-purpose to being more specialized. Although the CB1100 at first looks like an "all-rounder" as the Germans say...it is in fact a specialty nostalgia bike whose appeal is based mainly on its appearance. It's a new bike styled to look retro. In today's market...that's pretty nichy, even in a market composed mainly of special-purpose machines.
 
Can't say why it's not a big seller, just why it appealed to me. I wasn't looking for a retro bike, just one that looked normal to me. I hadn't ridden for twenty years. I looked at Harleys, Triumphs, and Guzzis, but I wanted something that would be stone reliable and have reasonable dealer support. And I didn't want a Harley. The only other machine that looked like a motorcycle should at the Honda dealer was a Grom. There is a great post on the ADVrider forum under the dedicated CB1100 thread, post #200 that I am not competent enough to cut and paste or whatever to this site... says it pretty well.

Ben
 
The ferret_imp said:
If we were here for the U.S. general bike community this would be a Harley forum. Remember though that this forum has members from 21 countries even if we are U.S. based.
Yes ferret, but I didn't say US bike community, only relating to US bike sales for Honda. As mentioned in an earlier post about Honda selling so many bikes worldwide, it is because in other countries where it is their main form of transportation and they are limited in engine size Honda sells tons of bikes. As for Triumph, they do not cater to that market and for the U.S. we are not limited and also live in a culture of bigger and cooler and faster is better.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
Ben70_imp said:
Can't say why it's not a big seller, just why it appealed to me. I wasn't looking for a retro bike, just one that looked normal to me. I hadn't ridden for twenty years. I looked at Harleys, Triumphs, and Guzzis, but I wanted something that would be stone reliable and have reasonable dealer support. And I didn't want a Harley. The only other machine that looked like a motorcycle should at the Honda dealer was a Grom. There is a great post on the ADVrider forum under the dedicated CB1100 thread, post #200 that I am not competent enough to cut and paste or whatever to this site... says it pretty well.

Ben
So, that post was by bomber60015:

Quote:gee, look, a motorcycle.

You could ride to work/school, have fun on roads on the weekend, gor for trips with the soft luggage added, run errands, venture down a dirt road. . . . .

what a great idea!

(smile)

Retro is one descriptor -- mutlifacted is another -- just makes good sense . . .
Don't say us mods don't look after you. :D
 
Back
Top