Why the CB1100 didn't take off...

Beerman_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Beerman, before we go any further, this topic is the same as a recently posted one entitled WRONG DEMOGRAPHIC?, so please look at that link rather than re-starting one.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15213
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
40 Lashes! And no soup for you!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh, but there were some pretty, uh, enthusiastic opinions in the other thread, and you're welcome to add to them. Sometimes thread titles aren't fully descriptive, so easy to overlook. :rolleyes:
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Beerman_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Beerman, before we go any further, this topic is the same as a recently posted one entitled WRONG DEMOGRAPHIC?, so please look at that link rather than re-starting one.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15213
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
40 Lashes! And no soup for you!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh, but there were some pretty, uh, enthusiastic opinions in the other thread, and you're welcome to add to them. Sometimes thread titles aren't fully descriptive, so easy to overlook. :rolleyes:
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
40 Lashes! And no soup for you!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh, but there were some pretty, uh, enthusiastic opinions in the other thread, and you're welcome to add to them. Sometimes thread titles aren't fully descriptive, so easy to overlook. :rolleyes:
It looks like we are moving back to medieval times....:P
:beerchug:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Beerman_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Beerman, before we go any further, this topic is the same as a recently posted one entitled WRONG DEMOGRAPHIC?, so please look at that link rather than re-starting one.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15213
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
40 Lashes! And no soup for you!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh, but there were some pretty, uh, enthusiastic opinions in the other thread, and you're welcome to add to them. Sometimes thread titles aren't fully descriptive, so easy to overlook. :rolleyes:
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
40 Lashes! And no soup for you!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh, but there were some pretty, uh, enthusiastic opinions in the other thread, and you're welcome to add to them. Sometimes thread titles aren't fully descriptive, so easy to overlook. :rolleyes:
It looks like we are moving back to medieval times....:P
:beerchug:
... or the 1990's at least.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Beerman_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Beerman, before we go any further, this topic is the same as a recently posted one entitled WRONG DEMOGRAPHIC?, so please look at that link rather than re-starting one.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15213
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
40 Lashes! And no soup for you!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh, but there were some pretty, uh, enthusiastic opinions in the other thread, and you're welcome to add to them. Sometimes thread titles aren't fully descriptive, so easy to overlook. :rolleyes:
I am terribly, terribly, terribly sorry.

Beerman
40 Lashes! And no soup for you!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh, but there were some pretty, uh, enthusiastic opinions in the other thread, and you're welcome to add to them. Sometimes thread titles aren't fully descriptive, so easy to overlook. :rolleyes:
:beerchug:
 
I don't see a lot of any one model motorcycle when I'm out riding and I ride every day. That would give the impression that no model of motorcycle from any manufacturer "took off". There are a lot of models that are the manufacturers biggest sellers supposedly and I have never seen ONE on the street in years..like the Indian Scout, and the Ducati Scrambler. The only Triumph Bonneville I see is my brothers, and I've never seen a Triumph ADV or Scrambler, or any KTM's, or Guzzi's and I rarely see a BMW. Mostly I see Harleys, and some mid sized sport bikes. By my personal observations, one would think the only thing selling is Harley Davidsons.
 
We have a pretty good variety in my parts. I've seen a couple Duc Scrammies and there are a couple Guzzi's as well. Triumph is represented well along with Bimmer ADV's and a couple RR's. It's funny, I don't see a lot of KTM's (besisde when my buddy had a couple) but when I was at a local shop getting fork oil for the dirt bike yesterday there are a TON of them for sale. Street, ADV, and dirt. Maybe they know something we don't? I work 1 block away from an Indian dealer so those are common.

What I do see most are, of course, Harley's. Maybe we just notice them more because the majority are loud AF? But around here it's a toss up between Harley's and sport bikes with the "Busa's being the most prevalent of the later.

I've seen 2 CB's on the wild since they came here in '13 and I've only seen those 2 examples once.
 
Dang, I haven't seen a Busa in 10 years.
 
I've never seen another CB, even on a long trip last summer to California. I did get quite a few compliments at the gas station. But then again, this is dirt bike and snow machine country. My advise is just buy what you like. The manufacturer's will figure out what you want or need.....
 
I’d say the bikes you see locally simply reflect local demographics and riding conditions. In mid-America, the sentiment is largely “Buy ‘Merican!”, so that’s why HD’s are usually prevalent. Around here, HD’s are everywhere but so are BMW’s and KTM’s. In California, lots of sport bikes abound. And in Europe, I mostly see mid-size Japanese bikes, hordes of BMW’s (very few HD’s), and of course scooters are everywhere in the cities (mostly Piaggio and Chinese knock-offs).

I don’t agree the CB was a sales flop. It took a few years, but Honda nearly sold every one it imported.
 
In terms of So-ON, it seems to be much of a wide spectrum of brands and models. If one brand dominates, maybe and arguably it is HD ... but I would not say it is a majority, just the largest visible label of the spectrum.
 
I happen to live in a area which is VERY popular in summer with tourbikers. Next to the HDs it is mostly BMW, bigger Japanese tourbikes (Goldwing, etc.), and mid-size Japanese bikes (esp Yamaha) that I see passing by. I have the impression that during the last few years BMW is getting more popular and HD less. But I also see the occasional KTM, Ducati, MG and Triumph. I have seen the CB1100 only once...
 
m in sc_imp said:
I've seen a few around. One was at the Bull City Rumble in durham, was an EX. tried finding the guy but no luck. few in Charlotte, one in ft mill, and a few at deals gap. All the others were red. I get compliments on the black Standard, because it IS way better in real life, pics wash out the bodylines. I can def see why the promo pics didn't help sell them.

Im pretty used to having the only of whatever bike is around due to the vintage stuff I usually ride, so to me its not weird. I do see a boatload of BMW and triumphs in general though.
And harleys but who cares.
As I’ve mentioned before on the forum, I have seen enough CB1100’s around here (primarily 2013 models) that I’ve lost count. (It’s not like there are all that many, but I can no longer keep count with just two hands.)

With the way things are going as of late I am more or less glad to still see motorcycles around, period.
 
Basically agree with the referenced video by Jon. My interpretation was that he thought Honda USA marketing was a massive failure, not the machine itself. I have had this same thought for several years. Love my red 2014 CB1100 Deluxe ... best bike ever :)
 
Back
Top