Why do you (or don't you) prefer inline 4s to Twins?

My first bike was an SV-650, and I do miss that sporty V-twin rumble. I remember swearing that I'd "never own a inline-4 bike, because they make all their power in the wrong place"....

Obviously I was a young clueless fool, but I was basing that opinion on the high-strung 600 & 1000cc sportbikes of the time.
I think I'd enjoy owning a Ducati, but I'll admit...this air-cooled 4 is sweet!! Like others have said, it's perfect for my riding style.
One bike or engine I'll never own again is a 360-degree parallel twin (as in, the F800GT, etc). It sounded like someone kicked a 55-gallon drum full of wrenches down a hill.

While it's not my type of bike to ever own, I'd love to try the BMW K1600GT, with that super-awesome inline 6.
 
Having learned to ride on friends 750 I4's in the early 80's, I've only officially owned two bikes: a V4 Interceptor and the CB DLX. I've ridden others including V-twins and boxers, but the I4 and V4 seem best.

The V4 was a beautiful engine but Honda's implementation of VTEC messed it up a bit. But take it up over 7,000 rpm and the thing absolutely spoke to you. My brother-in-law described it perfectly: "I had to rev it all the way. It needed to sing. To not do that would have felt rude. Like interrupting a conversation." The problem was finding yourself going way too fast way too often. That, aggressive ergos and the rider's aging body finally made an end to the affair.

The I4 in the CB is just butter smooth and confidently powerful. That, and the good looks make a winner. If there had been an upright version of the VFR with comfy ergos, the CB would still win based on looks.
 
It's simple 2 extra cylinders and let's face it it doesn't backfire everytime you let off the gas, harleys have alot of low end torque but so do the 4's my 2 cents
 
Jim21680_imp said:
My first bike was an SV-650, and I do miss that sporty V-twin rumble. I remember swearing that I'd "never own a inline-4 bike, because they make all their power in the wrong place"....

Obviously I was a young clueless fool, but I was basing that opinion on the high-strung 600 & 1000cc sportbikes of the time.
I think I'd enjoy owning a Ducati, but I'll admit...this air-cooled 4 is sweet!! Like others have said, it's perfect for my riding style.
One bike or engine I'll never own again is a 360-degree parallel twin (as in, the F800GT, etc). It sounded like someone kicked a 55-gallon drum full of wrenches down a hill.

While it's not my type of bike to ever own, I'd love to try the BMW K1600GT, with that super-awesome inline 6.
That's where engineering and tuning comes into play. By tweaking the intake and cam profiles, you can completely change the power characteristics of an I-4. If you're going for peak HP numbers, you'll get a power curve that is lacking in the bottom end, but delivers big numbers in the high rpm range. Conversely, if you're willing to sacrifice that peak HP number, you can "de-tune" the I-4 to provide a relatively linear powerband throughout the rpm range. Fortunately, Honda decided on the latter strategy for the CB1100. It provides power where most typical street riders can use it.

My CB750 is similar. They took the I-4 from the Euro/Japan CBX750 sportbike, and de-tuned it to provide plenty of power in the low end. It's peak HP dropped from 91 to around 70, but it makes for a much more pleasant ride on the street.
 
Lets see: a single cylinder 4 stroke, a twin two and a four stroke, an inline triple two stroke, a four opposed, a vee four, two BMW inline fours, and two Honda inline fours.

For absolute smoothness, from (suspect) long term memory, the triple two stroke was incredibly smooth. But the power curve was very peaky. I must say the vee four ST11 is my current favorite motor. One noticeable thing about longitudinally mounted engines like the v4 is the tendency to torque steer under acceleration. It's noticeable but not really a problem. The BMW K100s did this also.

Next is this sweet CB11. Mated with the rest of the bike this inline four is perfect. I don't notice any 'buzziness' with it. The inline four CB650 isn't what I would call memorable, but I like the old school of the entire bike. I think the essential motorcycle configuration was perfected in the 80's. As such, the inline four is the quintessential motorcycle engine.

The K100s inline fours were smooth but had a bit ... of something the devotees call 'character'. The performance curve was 'ho hum' until about 5k rpm then it woke up. My wife said they sounded like angry sewing machines.

The "best" motor? I need to know what kind of bike it is going into, the task it is to perform, and then it really all comes down to what the owner likes the best. The beauty of motorcycles is that the variety is so great that there is something for every ones taste. Then there is customization...
Jim
 
"One bike or engine I'll never own again is a 360-degree parallel twin (as in, the F800GT, etc). It sounded like someone kicked a 55-gallon drum full of wrenches down a hill."

Wow. We'll have to agree to disagree. I love the sound of the 360 parallel twin. Right around 4k is the sweet spot. I prefer it to any other motorcycle sound...even the Italian birds.

I also prefer the parallel twin over the I4 for the engine braking. Makes setting up for corners much easier.
 
^I'll admit...I have a negative bias with that engine. The one I had (a 2007 model) developed piston slap, along with a bunch of other serious problems.
So, that very likely contributed to the awful sound I'm remembering.

I've heard from many people that BMW has since addressed all of these problems, so I'm sure the modern F800 series are great bikes. I just couldn't own one ever again!
I was not one bit happy with how BMW handled those widespread problems.
 
Yeah, never even thought of buying a BMW. No desire at all. I'm sure some are great bikes and I'm painting with a pretty broad brush but I've just heard too many horror stories.

If you wanna hear how a good one sounds come ride with me while I'm on my Bonneville. Sweet, sweet music. All that being said, the stock Bonnies have quite a bit of valve noise but once you get some aftermarket pipes all that is drowned out.
 
That's how I feel about a lot of brands (HD, Indian, Kawasaki, Enfield, Ural, KTM, Aprilia, Yamaha). Unfounded personal bias and unfavorable on-line reviews, justified or not, keep me away from those things. Same thing with blondes and redheads.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
That's how I feel about a lot of brands (HD, Indian, Kawasaki, Enfield, Ural, KTM, Aprilia, Yamaha). Unfounded personal bias and unfavorable on-line reviews, justified or not, keep me away from those things. Same thing with blondes and redheads.
That doesn't leave you a whole lot of choices.

And how could you ever possibly be biased against redheads? Blasphemy!!
 
Sorry, I was beng facetious and trying to make a back-handed point. My comment was tongue in cheek. Too often people hold biases based only on what they've been told or what they've read on the Internet, without having first hand knowledge themselves. As a result, they defend their preferences vigorously, perpetuate myths, and deny themselves the opportunity of trying something new.
 
Riding both types of engines, I simply like both.
Would I prefer one over the other? No or wait a minute, perhaps the paralleltwin over the in line four. But it depends on the motorbike you're riding. The W800 offers a very easy to ride bike with an engine I like. So does the Honda. Both have a very linear torque curve somehow like a steam engine. The CB has, while being reved, a bigger peak than the Kawa and of course more power. But down under there isn't much of a big difference, mostly I ride this way. Besides, during 3.000 and 4.000 revs the W produces some typical parallel twin vibrations, which you feel and on some days be tempted to think that they can disturb your peace. But they don't, whereas the CB has some which are neglectable.

Wisedrum
 
It's quite simple: fewer cylinders means more vibrations and more noise.

I am amused by comments that depict big V-twin vibration as something desirable. For an engineer, a "vibration" is a universally bad thing, no ifs or buts. The more something vibrates, the more uneasy I get in its presence, and more I doubt about the competency of those that designed it. The phrase "good vibrations" is to me the ultimate in contradiction in term.

And what to say about the noise? Those that have the need to make their presence felt by the noise they make...
 
the slogan : "good vibrations"...means and is only for the drivers feeling and not for mechanics.......we remember specal by the old HDs, controll after every short trip all your srews....smile

and noise is a total other story, and has nothing to do with the kind of engine...other type engines have only a other sound character....
 
My brother rides a parallel twin Triumph T-120, one of the new 270 degree firing ones, but used to ride one of the old 790 360 degree firing ones. I lent him my CB yesterday for a just under 200 mile ride, and his comment to me was " no wonder you like this bike, it's so smooth"
 
For me all engine configurations have their good points. I love the feel of a boxer twin but not so much the sound. In-line triples and fours are my favorites, triples having the best combination of sound and feel I think. Although I've never had the experience of riding a CBX I think I would enjoy that in-line six even more. There is nothing that comes close to the sound of a CBX.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My brother rides a parallel twin Triumph T-120, one of the new 270 degree firing ones, but used to ride one of the old 790 360 degree firing ones. I lent him my CB yesterday for a just under 200 mile ride, and his comment to me was " no wonder you like this bike, it's so smooth"
sometimes i think this made honda extra on that way:

other bikes have at time any sharp sport-drive modus, a normal and rain-modus......and as supplement a traction control.......maybe made honda at this CB all togehter : rain-modus and traction control fine hidden already in the electronic as permanent gear ....:D

-------
well i drove never the mother of our CB
.
 
Had two parallel twins - V-4 and now the inline 4 - Each have their own wonderful feeling - loved the V4 - but didn't like how tall it seemed to make the bike - the inline 4 is wider - but seems to make the center of gravity lower - again may all be perception -but since it is my bike and my perception it is valid. I did love the feeling of the v4 at 13,000 - but it didn't feel anywhere near as good as the cb feels all the time - different stroke for different folks
The twins were fun- they were both under 650 so not terrible vibration with either - but will take a 4 every time if possible.
end of the story the CB is the only one i still have.
 
Back
Top