Why do you (or don't you) prefer inline 4s to Twins?

COCB1100_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Many of you own several bikes, some with different engine formats (inlines, twins and boxers), but most all of you are typically good at supporting your well informed opinions.
 
Ive had singles (2&4 stroke).... twins , (parallel and V 2 stroke and 4 stroke) .... triples (2 stroke and 4 stroke) .... inline 4's .... and V4's longitudinal and transverse. Automatics, 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, 6 speeds, left hand shift, right hand shift and belly shift, electirc start and kick start and bothat the same time.

My favorite since 1977 which I keep coming back to, is the (liter size) inline 4 4 stroke engine with a least 5 speeds. They do everything I ask of them from lugging around town at 25 mph in top gear to high speed riding without complaint. Docile or ferocious, doesn't matter. They will carry one around town or two across country with equal aplomb. I love the sound of a multi cylinder motor, and the 4 pipes cascading down the front of the motor is gorgeous to me. I have never been bothered by the reported buzziness of an inline 4. The V4s are my next favorite.

Some of the inline 4s I have had.. 73 CB350F, 76 CB750, 77 KZ 1000, 81 GS850G, 83 GS1100E, 2000 CB750K, 01 FZ-1, 04 FZ-1, 13 CB1100, 14 CB1100
 
I've had just a few bikes. One two stroke single, parallel twin, in line four, V-twin, large single, V twin, in-line four, in-line four.

Right now I have the large single, The V-twin and in-line four. On the road I prefer the single or the twin. In town, the single or the in-line four.

I like torque, a wee bit of low frequency to give me some visceral feed back, very good fuel mileage (I want a carrot for putting up with no heat or AC :D ) and a large enough chassis so my long lanky frame fits nicely.

While I don't get too hung up on engine choice beyond the attributes listed above, I DO want the motor to look good. With many of the water cooled wonders out there you may as well cover them up in tupperware, they are just not visually appealing (Triumph Rocket III being a notable exception).
 
I'll take an inline triple every time. Blends the best of a four and a twin. I've got singles, twins (V and parallel), triples and a four. All have their charms, but truth be told, the I- 4 is my least favorite configuration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
I'll take an inline triple every time. Blends the best of a four and a twin. I've got singles, twins (V and parallel), triples and a four. All have their charms, but truth be told, the I- 4 is my least favorite configuration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capo, just curious, why is it your least favorite configuration? I recall a thread where you mentioned buzziness but what else?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I currently have 3 inline 4s, 2 v-twins, an inline twin, 2 singles, a v-4, and a boxer twin.......my favorite engine is my super-smooth CB1100 Deluxe!
 
I've owned multiple i4's, v4's, v2, singles 2s &4s, except only one i2, and no triples..

For the most part I'm a vtwin guy, I like the linear powerband, without having to scream the rpms to stay in the power like the i4s. Not to mention torque..

Every vtwin I've owned, vtr, 990adv, sv650, hawk gt, felt visceral. There was always something you had to learn about em to ride em fast.. When you did you felt like you accomplished something. Hail the conquering hero, I guess. I love the engine braking as well for setup of turns

I4's it was just keep the rpm up and bobs your uncle..

I forget who said it, maybe Kenny Roberts, but on a vtwin it's fast into a turn, on a I4's it's fast outta a turn. The Vtwin is all about setup and diving into and turn and holding the power, it can be brutal if you screw up your line. An I4's is more the thinking mans game and all setup, as once you can see thru a turn and know where the apex is at it's go time. You can come thru the apex and outta the turn like a rocket..

You'd think the v4 would be the best of both, it may even be but it's like riding a turbine, has power everywhere and neutral.. I find em kinda soulless. Don't get me wrong, there are great bikes, but I just don't connect..

I was a little apprehensive about the cb1100 but it's got decent torque and enough power.. A good rider can extract a fair bit more that one expects.
 
Yes, I'm one of those who are quite bothered by the higher frequency vibes of I-4's. But besides that, I prefer the overall character, sound and torque/power delivery style of the triple and twin configs. One exception being the ZRX1200R, that was a special 4.

I just dusted off and serviced the '96 Ducati 900 SS I've neglected for a while, and did a 120 mile spirited romp on it last weekend, and came home smiling, and without tingling hands. That's an example of a motor that delivers the goods, with only around 80 BHP.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I spent much of my early riding career on parallel twins of various sizes and even a bone shaking Harley for awhile. One day my buddy handed me the keys to his Yammie XJ650. When I started it, I had to do a double take on the tach. Without the vibes, I couldn't tell if the engine was actually running. The rest of the ride was more of the same (but at higher speeds). On that day, I knew that I was hooked on the I-4. The smoothness and brisk acceleration were way beyond any of my previous two cylinder rides.

To be fair, I used to ride another friend's VF750 Interceptor and Yammie XS750 triple as well and those engine configurations were equally enjoyable, just not as commonly available.
 
All kind engines have for me his own charm ......only Longitudinal installation from a V-engine like this from the pan european i dont like bcos the bikehandling ( large headweigth).......the pure super fine contra for this is the 6 cup boxer of a goldwing

.
 
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
I've owned multiple i4's, v4's, v2, singles 2s &4s, except only one i2, and no triples..

For the most part I'm a vtwin guy, I like the linear powerband, without having to scream the rpms to stay in the power like the i4s. Not to mention torque..

Every vtwin I've owned, vtr, 990adv, sv650, hawk gt, felt visceral. There was always something you had to learn about em to ride em fast.. When you did you felt like you accomplished something. Hail the conquering hero, I guess. I love the engine braking as well for setup of turns

I4's it was just keep the rpm up and bobs your uncle..

I forget who said it, maybe Kenny Roberts, but on a vtwin it's fast into a turn, on a I4's it's fast outta a turn. The Vtwin is all about setup and diving into and turn and holding the power, it can be brutal if you screw up your line. An I4's is more the thinking mans game and all setup, as once you can see thru a turn and know where the apex is at it's go time. You can come thru the apex and outta the turn like a rocket..

You'd think the v4 would be the best of both, it may even be but it's like riding a turbine, has power everywhere and neutral.. I find em kinda soulless. Don't get me wrong, there are great bikes, but I just don't connect..

I was a little apprehensive about the cb1100 but it's got decent torque and enough power.. A good rider can extract a fair bit more that one expects.
I think it's like that with small I-4's but certainly not like that with liter I-4's which have power everywhere. I ride my liter I -4's at rpms that would have twins huffing and puffing and shuddering. Like I said you can come to a small town doing 55, run it down to 25 or 30 mph in high gear rolling thru town and then just roll it back up to 55 on the other side without even shifting. Especially Euro twins which don't seem to like to run below 4000 rpms. My nephew's SV650 V twin is like that too. When I ride it I have to run at least 1000 rpms higher than on my I4. I rarely run my CB over 3500 rpms.

Displacement is the ticket to having power down low, while cylinder multiplication is a recipe for high rpm performance as well. Honda learned that in GP racing.
 
The CB1100is the first inline 4 Ive had in a while, most recent bikes Ive had have been twins - side by side and opposed as well as v4's.
Good engineering is good engineering, some companies attention to detail and fit and finish make them stand out against their competitors. My personal preference has been for bikes on the quieter side with solid power for pulling thru curves and up hills in the rural areas I live and ride.
The inline 4 isn't my favorite configuration due to the width, the v4 is my preferred layout for size and ability. I thoroughly enjoy my CB and plan to keep it for the long haul. Solid engineering, dependability, adequate handling and power, styling. Lacks the sexiness of some brands and sheer horsepower of others but does the job day in and day out.
 
Has anyone here ridden the Yamaha crossplane I4? If I were shopping for an I4 today, it would be between that, the CB1100, and a vintage SOHC4.

I kind of dislike I4 engines in theory but have never had an issue with them in practice. My first bike was a Katana 600 with the air/oil-cooled Suzuki I4, and I've done track days on GSX-R600's and ZX-6R's. I've had short street rides on a CBR1000RR and a GSX-R750. Every single one of them was a fantastic bike in its own way and I'd gladly hop on any of them again in a heartbeat.

I love the banshee wail of an I4 screaming to 15,000+ RPM - I always have, and I always will. I also don't care about torque even a little bit - I love how an I4 can have 2 personalities - business below 10,000 RPM, and party above. Perfectly calm and tractable around town, and a terror on the track.
 
I've ridden the R-1 and the Fz-10. 5 years ago if Yamaha had stuck that cross plane motor in a gen 1 FZ-1 or std style motorcycle I would have jumped on that like a hungry fox on a mouse, but they waited too long and I am no longer interested in that armstretching power. Sounds like you should test ride the FZ-10 though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
I've owned multiple i4's, v4's, v2, singles 2s &4s, except only one i2, and no triples..

For the most part I'm a vtwin guy, I like the linear powerband, without having to scream the rpms to stay in the power like the i4s. Not to mention torque..

Every vtwin I've owned, vtr, 990adv, sv650, hawk gt, felt visceral. There was always something you had to learn about em to ride em fast.. When you did you felt like you accomplished something. Hail the conquering hero, I guess. I love the engine braking as well for setup of turns

I4's it was just keep the rpm up and bobs your uncle..

I forget who said it, maybe Kenny Roberts, but on a vtwin it's fast into a turn, on a I4's it's fast outta a turn. The Vtwin is all about setup and diving into and turn and holding the power, it can be brutal if you screw up your line. An I4's is more the thinking mans game and all setup, as once you can see thru a turn and know where the apex is at it's go time. You can come thru the apex and outta the turn like a rocket..

You'd think the v4 would be the best of both, it may even be but it's like riding a turbine, has power everywhere and neutral.. I find em kinda soulless. Don't get me wrong, there are great bikes, but I just don't connect..

I was a little apprehensive about the cb1100 but it's got decent torque and enough power.. A good rider can extract a fair bit more that one expects.
I think it's like that with small I-4's but certainly not like that with liter I-4's which have power everywhere. I ride my liter I -4's at rpms that would have twins huffing and puffing and shuddering. Like I said you can come to a small town doing 55, run it down to 25 or 30 mph in high gear rolling thru town and then just roll it back up to 55 on the other side without even shifting. Especially Euro twins which don't seem to like to run below 4000 rpms. My nephew's SV650 V twin is like that too. When I ride it I have to run at least 1000 rpms higher than on my I4. I rarely run my CB over 3500 rpms.

Displacement is the ticket to having power down low, while cylinder multiplication is a recipe for high rpm performance as well. Honda learned that in GP racing.
That hasn't been my experience, ie small i4's are different than big i4's.. To me the reaction is the same, it's just how much power you gets

If you look at a standard vtwin hp curve, it's fairly linear.. faster you twist the throttle the more power you get and it's proportional. A I-4 is lop sided. The faster you twist the throttle, you get more power, but after 8-9k you get and extra burst of power.

The i4's around town, especially liter bikes are easy. You got a ton of power at your command, but as long as you keep the Rpms below 8k its fairly sedate. It's still a liter bike so even at low power it's still power. Vtwins around town normally require far more throttle contol i.e. less twisting as it's power comes on sooner..

My 1st liter i4 was a first year gen1 fz1 that was uncorked to produce r1 power :-). Why, cuz I could, and in hindsight, I was a moron. I was coming off a vtr liter vtwin which I was a capable rider. The fz1 had far more power and different characteristics which could of ended badly. Fortunately, thru luck and some maturity, I picked up a slightly neglected bandit 400, ie tiny i4. This bike taught me all about i4's. While I owned I also had a hawk gt (and for a month a sv650).

The little vtwins were responsive and fun once you got the knack. They inspired the same kinda behavior one has with go karts ;-). The bandit 400 in comparison was a huge disappointment till I changed my riding style. Unlike a liter i4 which has power down low, let me assure you a 400cc does NOT. That said, if you got the rpms up, it would take off like a shot. It was like a light switch, unfortunately it worked the other way too, drop the rpms, and you were done if you didn't get em up quickly. The fz1 exhibited the same characteristics (as has every other liter sports bike I have ridden) it's just the low end of the scale on a liter is usable. I won't argue that it part of the appeal to liter bikes, but it's also one of the reasons many inexperienced crash em (Highside), as they don't have experience on the top end of it. I mean my fz1 could easily pull hard till 140 (it'd go faster but I needed a looooong straight), it could do 100 easily. I sold it to a buddy (who know has 80k on it, as they last forever) as I found myself doing 75-80 on 25-35 mph roads.. I was either gonna hurt myself badly or lose my license..
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
I've owned multiple i4's, v4's, v2, singles 2s &4s, except only one i2, and no triples..

For the most part I'm a vtwin guy, I like the linear powerband, without having to scream the rpms to stay in the power like the i4s. Not to mention torque..

Every vtwin I've owned, vtr, 990adv, sv650, hawk gt, felt visceral. There was always something you had to learn about em to ride em fast.. When you did you felt like you accomplished something. Hail the conquering hero, I guess. I love the engine braking as well for setup of turns

I4's it was just keep the rpm up and bobs your uncle..

I forget who said it, maybe Kenny Roberts, but on a vtwin it's fast into a turn, on a I4's it's fast outta a turn. The Vtwin is all about setup and diving into and turn and holding the power, it can be brutal if you screw up your line. An I4's is more the thinking mans game and all setup, as once you can see thru a turn and know where the apex is at it's go time. You can come thru the apex and outta the turn like a rocket..

You'd think the v4 would be the best of both, it may even be but it's like riding a turbine, has power everywhere and neutral.. I find em kinda soulless. Don't get me wrong, there are great bikes, but I just don't connect..

I was a little apprehensive about the cb1100 but it's got decent torque and enough power.. A good rider can extract a fair bit more that one expects.
I think it's like that with small I-4's but certainly not like that with liter I-4's which have power everywhere. I ride my liter I -4's at rpms that would have twins huffing and puffing and shuddering. Like I said you can come to a small town doing 55, run it down to 25 or 30 mph in high gear rolling thru town and then just roll it back up to 55 on the other side without even shifting. Especially Euro twins which don't seem to like to run below 4000 rpms. My nephew's SV650 V twin is like that too. When I ride it I have to run at least 1000 rpms higher than on my I4. I rarely run my CB over 3500 rpms.

Displacement is the ticket to having power down low, while cylinder multiplication is a recipe for high rpm performance as well. Honda learned that in GP racing.
I think it's like that with small I-4's but certainly not like that with liter I-4's which have power everywhere. I ride my liter I -4's at rpms that would have twins huffing and puffing and shuddering. Like I said you can come to a small town doing 55, run it down to 25 or 30 mph in high gear rolling thru town and then just roll it back up to 55 on the other side without even shifting. Especially Euro twins which don't seem to like to run below 4000 rpms. My nephew's SV650 V twin is like that too. When I ride it I have to run at least 1000 rpms higher than on my I4. I rarely run my CB over 3500 rpms.

Displacement is the ticket to having power down low, while cylinder multiplication is a recipe for high rpm performance as well. Honda learned that in GP racing.
Ferrett, I think your perceptions are slightly out of date. Modern V-twins with current electronics and fueling are quite smooth at low RPMs. Your riding style of short shifting and never going over 6500 RPM certainly favors the twist and go of a big, under stressed 4, but I can lug the heck out of my Thruxton and it doesn't bog or chug.
 
I have owned over a dozen motorcycles. I although they were all different, I enjoyed them all, with the exception of a Triumph 500 which left me stranded on the side of the road 580 miles from home. Each had its own purpose, pros and cons.

Most of them were twins. They were relatively inexpensive to purchase, light in weight, and used for daily riding and the occasional trip. Of those my two 650cc BSA Lightnings, 350cc Yamaha RD5, and Honda CB500XA were my favourites.

I did not own a 4 cylinder motorcycle until I was 35 and married. The Yamaha XS 1100 and Goldwing Aspencade were used for touring. The Yamaha was top heavy but very strong. Although heavier than the Yamaha, the flat 4 Goldwing provided a lower center of gravity and was easier to handle. It was also capable of effortlessly hauling a lot of gear two up. We hauled a tent trailer through the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire in overdrive. The Goldwing is the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned. If it wasn't for the price I would probably own one now.

The 2017 CB1100 EX was bought for its looks. After it took a nap on me on the side of a lonely road when my foot slipped on the soft shoulder, I have named it Miss Piggy. Like Miss Piggy it is good looking in an old fashion way, stout for its size, and top heavy.

I do notice a buzz through the handle grips and foot pegs, although Grip Puppies made the grips more comfortable. It is too bad that Honda deliberately gave the engine a 1970s buzz. I also think the new louder mufflers contribute to the buzz, although I do like the 1970s motorcycle sound.

Personally if Honda made a 750cc inline 4 that weighed a hundred pounds less and had the CB1100s good looks, I would buy it. I like the torque provided by the CB1100 throughout the rev range, but I only use about 1/3 of the rev range in normal riding conditions.
 
Honda's In-line 4 will always be my favorite but have no complaints about Suzuki's 650 V-Twin in the VStrom or Star's 1300 V-Twin.
 
Interesting thread. I agree with the comment about power as you twist the throttle of the I4, esp in the CB1100. Up to 5000 rpm there is power, but it is smooth and sedate vs my Moto Guzzi V7II, which tries to pull your hands off up to 5000 rpm. Above 5000 rpm, the CB1100 gets angry, and the speedo swings up in a hurry.

I have owned and ridden singles, twin, and I4. They all have their place. The most visceral ride is with the V-twin, the singles are so much fun due to their lightweight and "flickability", and the I-4 is the most calming.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
Interesting thread. I agree with the comment about power as you twist the throttle of the I4, esp in the CB1100. Up to 5000 rpm there is power, but it is smooth and sedate vs my Moto Guzzi V7II, which tries to pull your hands off up to 5000 rpm. Above 5000 rpm, the CB1100 gets angry, and the speedo swings up in a hurry.

I have owned and ridden singles, twin, and I4. They all have their place. The most visceral ride is with the V-twin, the singles are so much fun due to their lightweight and "flickability", and the I-4 is the most calming.
Good word!
Visceral: based on deep feeling and emotional reactions rather than on reason or thought.

I have always wondered why Harley owners are so passionate about their motorcycles. I think you hit the nail on the head.
 
Back
Top