Why build in Quality?

The ferret_imp said:
Well he wasn't riding an ADV with aluminum side cases with stickers all over them or BMW or a Ducati..no wonder it blew up in a Starbucks parking lot. It was heresy that caused it to backfire lol
ROFLMAO. One day I will own one of those, and if I choose to park it in front of a Starbucks and suck on a white mocha, then that's what I'll do. I don't like stickers, though. :thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well he wasn't riding an ADV with aluminum side cases with stickers all over them or BMW or a Ducati..no wonder it blew up in a Starbucks parking lot. It was heresy that caused it to backfire lol
ADV = BMW 1200GS? :huh:
 
calamarichris_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Well he wasn't riding an ADV with aluminum side cases with stickers all over them or BMW or a Ducati..no wonder it blew up in a Starbucks parking lot. It was heresy that caused it to backfire lol
ADV = BMW 1200GS? :huh:
ADV = BMW 1200GS? :huh:


Among others.... KTM 990, 1190, Yamaha Super 10, Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and 650, Triumph Tigers 1050 and 800, BMW f800 GS

Vs the BMW R1600GTs and R1200RT and R 1150 RT, or any Ducati Street bike or an Mv or Aprilia or well almost any Euro street bike

Vs showing up at Starbucks on a regular ol Honda

And you know I was just poking fun right? Playing upon the misconception that those who buy ADV bikes consider a Sunday morning ride to Starbucks an adventure..even the BMW ad pokes fun at them for going on an adventure to the mall for a coconut smoothie..see the irony there?

Are you familiar with whale foreskin riding suits? Lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
calamarichris_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Well he wasn't riding an ADV with aluminum side cases with stickers all over them or BMW or a Ducati..no wonder it blew up in a Starbucks parking lot. It was heresy that caused it to backfire lol
ADV = BMW 1200GS? :huh:
ADV = BMW 1200GS? :huh:


Among others.... KTM 990, 1190, Yamaha Super 10, Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and 650, Triumph Tigers 1050 and 800, BMW f800 GS

Vs the BMW R1600GTs and R1200RT and R 1150 RT, or any Ducati Street bike or an Mv or Aprilia or well almost any Euro street bike

Vs showing up at Starbucks on a regular ol Honda

And you know I was just poking fun right? Playing upon the misconception that those who buy ADV bikes consider a Sunday morning ride to Starbucks an adventure..even the BMW ad pokes fun at them for going on an adventure to the mall for a coconut smoothie..see the irony there?

Are you familiar with whale foreskin riding suits? Lol
Are you talking about Aerostich crash-suits? It does indeed get roasting hot sitting around Starbucks in my Aerostich, but I have to make sure people know I'm a real motorcyclist. :thumbsup:



I gathered you were poking fun at the Adventure-Poseurs as soon as I figured out ADV=1200GS. I do the same to the Harley Renegades--parallegals & orthodontists mostly, who dress up in ominous black leather with metal accoutrements, lick-em/stick-em tattoos, and ride around with a permascowl that never looks left nor right, always forward. You can just tell they're premeditating their third-strike felony, on their way to raping a policeman or something even heinouser.

7f4223221d6ee960d822eaa59faa3b74.jpg


A few summers ago, I was cruising with my dog on my crotch-rocket on Pacific Coast Highway and waved to a couple on a Harley Road-King. The female passenger on back waved back, but her male pilot :rofl: slapped her hand back down! :rofl:

(Looks like someone forgot the pre-ride briefing on who not to wave to.) :hello:

 
Speaking of QUALITY.. How is that Vanson leather jacket?
 
Pretty awesome. The leather is crazy-thick, and it's doubled-up in the shoulders & elbows. It's like wearing a leather combat boot--stiff and uncomfortable the first week, but once it's broken in, fits like it was made for you. Unfortunately I gained 15 pounds while my foot was in a cast recently, so I don't really fit into it right now. Need to put more miles on the bicycle and less on the motorcycle on the way to the new favorite brewery down the street.

I crash-tested it once too. Shattered a helmet, sprained my (booted) ankle, and got a big ugly scuff on the shoulder, but no broken bones. It doesn't even have armor, but that doubled-up leather protected me pretty well from the boulder I flew into like a bug into a windshield.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Speaking of QUALITY.. How is that Vanson leather jacket?
I have an older Vanson leather jacket and the quality is top notch. I dont know how you could make it much better. Problem is, the dang thing shrunk and I cant wear it any longer. :s
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Speaking of QUALITY.. How is that Vanson leather jacket?
I have an older Vanson leather jacket and the quality is top notch. I dont know how you could make it much better. Problem is, the dang thing shrunk and I cant wear it any longer. :s
I have an older Vanson leather jacket and the quality is top notch. I dont know how you could make it much better. Problem is, the dang thing shrunk and I cant wear it any longer. :s

Bummer..what size did it shrink to? ;)
 
If his shrunk as much as mine did, he probably looks like Chris Farley wearing David Spade's coat or Peter Griffin doing his Incredible Hulk impression.

1fe0146bad9591402f2735d7547af8bc.jpg


Okay Lois, say "David Banner, I just slashed your tires..."
95a156ddd84fea6df3c8512301970184.jpg
 
Yours shrunk too? Wow, don't know if I want an $800 shrinking jacket or not. :rofl:
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Speaking of QUALITY.. How is that Vanson leather jacket?
I have an older Vanson leather jacket and the quality is top notch. I dont know how you could make it much better. Problem is, the dang thing shrunk and I cant wear it any longer. :s
LMAO this is exactly what happened to all my clothes.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
Red Mist_imp said:
It's been queried a few times around these parts as to why any manufacturer would build quality into a motorcycle, seeing as how most owners (me included) never keep them beyond 50,000 miles.

The answer to that is quite simple. The used bike market. Any marque whose bikes fall apart or become unreliable at 50K miles is going to suffer a bad reputation for reliability and durability.

The used bike market is very strong, and in fact, used bike sales have been stronger in recent years ("it's the economy, stoopid" is the usual reason) than have new bike sales.

This thread got me thinking about it:

13 trade sell value recent info.

7 grand for the same bike most of us paid over 10 grand for? That is not stoopid. There are a lot of sharp operators who profit from folks like me and Ferret, who off nearly new bikes in perfect condition (yes, I have done this quite a few times).
Lol
Red mist. Are you talking about me? Lol. I like to think of it as benefiting rather than profiting. Being sensible with money is always a smart move. I approach purchases like investments. I like to try and buy low and not necessarily sell high but rather have my investment remain a stable asset as long as possible. In my case I imaging I can sell my bike for about my purchase price for at least a year. Maybe two.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
So what's this thread about, is it about centre stands, oil, fat people, leather?, FAT BIKES, LEMONS,
or just a bad experience.
 
Thread starter
enzo_imp said:
So what's this thread about, is it about centre stands, oil, fat people, leather?, FAT BIKES, LEMONS,
or just a bad experience.
The genesis of this thread was in response to some discussion regarding the merits of using cast-iron cylinder inserts instead of nikasil plating, which then became a discussion about the overall quality of modern motorcycles.

And to be honest, it was a play on the theme of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." For those who haven't read this book, it is, in brief, a philosophic discussion of the concept of quality.

It is also much more, or much less, depending on who's doing the reading.:rofl:

With respect to what this or any thread is about, a cursory glance at this forum reveals that the vast preponderance of chatter has little or nothing to do with actually riding or working on motorcycles.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
 
With 2/3 of the country still in winters grasp, there isn't a whole lot of meaningful talk about riding or wrenching. CB's have this far proven themselves so reliable we are not talking about fixing them much. The 2013s have been out a year so a lot of the early discussion on those has already taken place. The 2014s aren't here yet so only speculation on them at this point........Things will pick up on that end soon.

In the meantime, we make do.
 
enzo_imp said:
So what's this thread about, is it about centre stands, oil, fat people, leather?, FAT BIKES, LEMONS,
or just a bad experience.
New to the Internet, mate? The best and most informative threads & are the ones that get derailled, re-railled, and re-derailled a few times.
It's a conversation, not an encyclopedia entry.

cb267b002af3c8934140ebff47f44488.jpg
 
Back
Top