calamarichris_imp
Running like a top
Funny you put it that way. Pirsig's book is IMO more a "vast preponderance of chatter" etc. than it is a philosophic discussion on the concept of quality. Sure, he mentions quality every now and then when his stream of consciousness happens to flow near it, but it's hardly a straight & focused stream.Red Mist_imp said:The genesis of this thread was in response to some discussion regarding the merits of using cast-iron cylinder inserts instead of nikasil plating, which then became a discussion about the overall quality of modern motorcycles.enzo_imp said:So what's this thread about, is it about centre stands, oil, fat people, leather?, FAT BIKES, LEMONS,
or just a bad experience.
And to be honest, it was a play on the theme of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." For those who haven't read this book, it is, in brief, a philosophic discussion of the concept of quality.
It is also much more, or much less, depending on who's doing the reading.:rofl:
With respect to what this or any thread is about, a cursory glance at this forum reveals that the vast preponderance of chatter has little or nothing to do with actually riding or working on motorcycles.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I read it twice and decided it's more a scattered, Joycean meandering than a work of philosophy, being told through the narrative of a guy's mind wandering while he's on a motorcycle trip. And I was a little relieved when a Phil prof made a quick little derogatory jab at ZAMM in a lecture; relieved because I was afraid I was missing something.
That was probably my favorite aspect of it--the "helmet time"--you spend all day with only the sound of the wind and motor for company and sometimes neat things come out. Every now and then when on a trip, I like to try to retrace those connections:
I was thinking about X, because Y made me think of it, because Z reminded me of Y, and this whole thing started because the dead armadillo on the side of the road I saw 30 miles back made me think of Z...
