Why are SW Motech crash bars asymetrical?

Crazyirv_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just installed a set of sw motech crash bars on my 2013 standard and noticed that they are somewhat asymetrical. The right side extends further than the left. It clears the engine case by around 1.5 inches or so while the left side is close to the case and is sticks out less from the frame and frankly doesnt seem like it will offer a lot of protection if the bike is dropped. Havent gotten out a tape measure to check but its fairly obvious. I called Twisted Throttle this morning and he said that's the way they come and other brands do also. He could not explain why, however. Anyone out there who might know why they are designed like this? My brother thought it might have something to do with the kickstand, but personally I think that side should at least match the other, seeing as how the bike can get dropped from a bad kickstand deployment.
 
Never noticed that before on mine, but yep, right side sticks out more. There doesn't seem to be any obvious structural reason for them to be designed this way at the point where they attach. But I'm wondering if the reason is due to less lean angle on the left side before the pipes scrape.

But your question made me remember the thread:

Crash bars make me crash

Look at post #6

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3172&pid=45953#pid45953]And post #31 with photos of different bars

Summary: crash bars shouldn't be the first thing to scrape, the footpeg feeler should be.

But if the SW crashbars are designed with lean angle in mind, what would reduce left side lean angle compared to right? I can only think of the pipes...because riders frequently discuss "they scraped their pipes". So I thought "does the left side pipe stick out more than the right side pipe?" I looked from above on my '17ex and it seemed to me that the left side pipe does, indeed, stick out more. I measured from the axle bolt head on both sides and the left side pipe seems to stick out a half inch more than the right side, I'm guessing because a little more space is needed for the chain and chain guard?

So if the left side pipe sticks out more than the right, then this may slightly reduce lean angle, and this means the SW crashbars can't stick out as far on the left side because they shouldn't be the first thing to scrape--that would affect the functionality of the bike.

But I'm no expert on this, just trying to understand why as well..can't believe it's due to an error, particularly if it's true that other brands of bars have this difference as the Twisted Throttle rep claimed--which, someone with OE Honda crashbars should confirm--does the right side bar protrude out more than left?

Anyway...I think the left side SW bar does protect the engine case, just enough to the naked eye.

Here's to never finding out!:beerchug:
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Never noticed that before on mine, but yep, right side sticks out more. There doesn't seem to be any obvious structural reason for them to be designed this way at the point where they attach. But I'm wondering if the reason is due to less lean angle on the left side before the pipes scrape.

But your question made me remember the thread:

Crash bars make me crash

Look at post #6

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3172&pid=45953#pid45953]And post #31 with photos of different bars

Summary: crash bars shouldn't be the first thing to scrape, the footpeg feeler should be.

But if the SW crashbars are designed with lean angle in mind, what would reduce left side lean angle compared to right? I can only think of the pipes...because riders frequently discuss "they scraped their pipes". So I thought "does the left side pipe stick out more than the right side pipe?" I looked from above on my '17ex and it seemed to me that the left side pipe does, indeed, stick out more. I measured from the axle bolt head on both sides and the left side pipe seems to stick out a half inch more than the right side, I'm guessing because a little more space is needed for the chain and chain guard?

So if the left side pipe sticks out more than the right, then this may slightly reduce lean angle, and this means the SW crashbars can't stick out as far on the left side because they shouldn't be the first thing to scrape--that would affect the functionality of the bike.

But I'm no expert on this, just trying to understand why as well..can't believe it's due to an error, particularly if it's true that other brands of bars have this difference as the Twisted Throttle rep claimed--which, someone with OE Honda crashbars should confirm--does the right side bar protrude out more than left?

Anyway...I think the left side SW bar does protect the engine case, just enough to the naked eye.

Here's to never finding out!:beerchug:
Thanks for a great response. Never thought about the exhaust but it makes sense. I wonder if SW Motech just never bothered to redesign the guards after the double sided exhaust came out.
 
I agree- they were probably designed on a single exhaust bike.

That being said, don't worry much about strength and protection lacking on the left side. I went down on my left and my engine is fine.
 
Thread starter
Btw the guy at Twisted Throttle told me he gets 2 or 3 calls every day about this! Kinda wonder why he hasn't bothered to find out why they don't match for their customers peace of mind.
..
 
Hey Irv, if you really want to know, it's the aftermarket correction for the rear shock top mounts being asymmetric. ;)

Ben
 
Had to go look, yep, the left side top mount for rear shock sticks out more than the other side, which begs the question why? Isn't that necessary because of chain and guard?

Ben70_imp said:
Hey Irv, if you really want to know, it's the aftermarket correction for the rear shock top mounts being asymmetric. ;)

Ben
 
Yes, kind of funny when you first see it. There is a thread on it from somewhere in the early days. That's why you touch a peg feeler sooner on one side. ;P

Ben
 
Crazyirv_imp said:
Just installed a set of sw motech crash bars on my 2013 standard and noticed that they are somewhat asymetrical. The right side extends further than the left. It clears the engine case by around 1.5 inches or so while the left side is close to the case and is sticks out less from the frame and frankly doesnt seem like it will offer a lot of protection if the bike is dropped. Havent gotten out a tape measure to check but its fairly obvious. I called Twisted Throttle this morning and he said that's the way they come and other brands do also. He could not explain why, however. Anyone out there who might know why they are designed like this? My brother thought it might have something to do with the kickstand, but personally I think that side should at least match the other, seeing as how the bike can get dropped from a bad kickstand deployment.
Hi, I have SW Motech bars on my 2013 CB and crash bars from China on my 2017 CB. The ones from China are also asymetrical. I noticed that as soon as I put them on and just figured in was the engine design that predicts the shape of the crash bars since they are attached to the engine, not the frame as much. I tell all who want to put some on, and I recommend them, my 2013 fell over in the yard on the left side and only the bars hit the dirt; buy Motech's first. The Chinese ones are not bad, but lack a few niceties like caps over the bolts. I bought chrome caps for the 2017 so I do not get scratched by them. Motech's also fit the lower frame better, and provide a nice, straight bar to attach lights to.
 
I like symmetrical look and had the same observation after installing the SW engine crash bar. At the time I didn't like it and could not do anything about it either, however, I got use to it now.
 
Mine don't match as much as they used to.
The good news is they work great. The bendy parts bend, and the folded arrangement at the bottom opens up absorbing shock and doing a great protection job.


Nothing touched the engine case and the mounts and frame look OK.

Ben
 
Good for you Ben, install new ones to extend protection :thumbsup:
I got chrome, OEM, saved my '13 model, when dropped on L-side, now on my '14.
 
Hi Josh! About one week ago exactly I went for an after dinner spin to check out my newly mounted Continental RA3's. A couple of deer ambushed me down by the river. I got on the brakes when I saw them bolt into the road. The lead deer was closer to me and for a milli-instant I thought going behind them would work, then the lead deer tried to veer away but her buddy shoved her back in front of me.
Saw scared deer eyeball up close and torpedoed them both. Bent the headlight back, messed up the instrument pod, front fender and put a large dent in the gas tank, including a crease. And left turn signal. The relatively new top box and bar weight combined to keep the rest of the right side good.
I was sore for a few days but helmet, gloves mesh jacket with armor, jeans and boots worked well.
Waiting on insurance. My clutch hand will take another week or two anyway.
Very grateful it wasn't worse.

Ben
 
I have SW Motech bars on my bike, and did several posts on the mounting bolt torque specs, bolts to use, and reasons the for both. The bars are symmetrical. If you measure from the frame to the outside face of the crash bars on both sides, they are both an equal distance from the frame. What makes the bars look asymmetrical is that the engine casing is wider on the left side.
 
I just installed these (SW-Motech engine guards) on my ‘14 standard. I’m very impressed with them (hope I never test their strength!). I really can’t believe how stock they look. Seriously, they blend in perfectly.
 
Friendly word of advice- wrap the lower frame with electrical tape before you put the plastic spacer on.

Not just on these- but anything you mount similarly on a painted tube. Keeps it looking brand new if they ever get removed years from now.
 
2017EX_imp said:
I have SW Motech bars on my bike, and did several posts on the mounting bolt torque specs, bolts to use, and reasons the for both. The bars are symmetrical. If you measure from the frame to the outside face of the crash bars on both sides, they are both an equal distance from the frame. What makes the bars look asymmetrical is that the engine casing is wider on the left side.
Funny how sometimes it's hard to spot the obvious. A few posts prior I was wondering if the difference had to do with less lean angle, but yeah, even just by looking from above you can tell the left side casing is wider. Never noticed that before.
 
Back
Top