who wears Kevlar lined jeans?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'll confess, although I normally wear armored riding pants, it's been so stinkin' hot and humid this month I have been doing the majority of my rides in denim jeans. I like the look and practicality of jeans but the protection of riding pants. A little more protection in my jeans would be nice. Don't necessarily need armor but some abrasion resistance would be nice.

Who wears em? What kind? How much? How about a review and rating?
 
i do, i have the ones from cycle gear (bilt brand i believe) and some draggin' jeans.

the draggin jeans factory is about an hour away from me, and they sell "seconds" for 1/2 price. Those are defects, but i can honestly say ive never been able to tell on any of the ones i had. One pair had the wrong color belt loops, or at least that's what the lady said haha i can't tell.

think i paid like $70 for the bilt ones and $75 for the draggin jeans. draggin jeans are a much heavier denim so i would say their quality is better. I wear the bilt ones in the summer, draggin in the winter.


I did get to test out a pair of the bilt jeans back in 2012, i'm VERY thankful i had them on. If i had on regular jeans i probably would have been rashed up, but luckily i walked away without a scratch.
 
I have two pairs a draging jeans and they pretty much stay in the closet Mickey. The yellow Kevlar they put in the seat-of-the-pants bunches up and it's hard to flatten out making them uncomfortable. I just can't get comfortable with them especially in the heat.
 
I'm thinking about the Scorpion Covert Pro jeans for myself. Good protection for the price and they look like they will actually fit me...unlike Dianese. The Kilm jeans are a bit out of my personal price range, but they are probably the best out there with an "American" fit.
 
I have a couple of pairs of Diamond Gusset Kevlar lined jeans that are made in the USA and made of high quality denim.
I like them because you can order your exact waist and length leg size for a good fit.
They also have a Velcro strap on the cuffs to keep you pants legs from flapping in the breeze.
 
I've been wearing draggin jeans without the armor. The denim is high quality and about the same weight as levis. With the kevlar sewn in they are significantly heavier that levis. I ordered the relaxed fit in the same size as my levis jeans and they run a bit bigger than levis. Next time I won't order relaxed fit since they are a bit baggy, lol. My wife says I look like a farmer with them on but I take that as a compliment. I wash them in cold water and dry them in the dryer with high heat and so far have had no problem with the kevlar bunching up. They are warmer than regular jeans and also a bit "scratchy" due to the kevlar but I've been wearing them religiously all summer long.
 
I wear Draggin' jeans most of the time when I ride this time of year. Paid around $100 if I recall. The 'relaxed fit' does seem a little baggy but feels good while I'm in the saddle.

I've had no issues with the kevlar bunching up....I wash them in cold water and hang to dry. Thank God I haven't tested them yet...
 
I wear a pair with Kevlar in the butt and knees, and CE rated knee pads. I love the jeans, but I'm going to add a pair of armored shorts for hip and tail protection. I don't have any problem with the Kevlar bunching up either, but the knee pads do ride up on my legs occasionally.
edit: Mine are Speed and Strength brand, and cost about $150. I'm tall and lanky, and the slim fit works well. Adding the armored shorts will be around $100 more.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
I wear Draggin' jeans most of the time when I ride this time of year. Paid around $100 if I recall. The 'relaxed fit' does seem a little baggy but feels good while I'm in the saddle.

I've had no issues with the kevlar bunching up....I wash them in cold water and hang to dry. Thank God I haven't tested them yet...
No real life testing for me either.
The Kevlar is no substitute for armor, but a bit better than unlined denim.
Kevlar does nothing in an impact, but should help in a slide.
I know they are marginal, but armored overpants as just too hot in the peak summer months as ferret said.
 
Have a pair of Draggin Jeans I wear in cooler weather, sometimes with Bohn armor underneath. Decent pants and comfy in cooler weather but not for warm days. Heavy denim, well made. Owned for more than 10 years now - not for riding in the rain without rain suit.
I use a pair of armored vented pants in the (long, hot, humid) summer, depending on the day sometimes with shorts underneath. Throw them on when I make a fast trip to the grocery store. Took a riding class with the state police motorcycle guys - they were all wearing Olympia brand so I bought them also.
Picked up a Speed & Strength armored jersey recently for around $25, a full armored pull over vented jersey - nice for rides but not so great for errand running.
After seeing the insides of an ambulance I just can't bring myself to ride without protective gear anymore.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'll confess, although I normally wear armored riding pants, it's been so stinkin' hot and humid this month I have been doing the majority of my rides in denim jeans. I like the look and practicality of jeans but the protection of riding pants. A little more protection in my jeans would be nice. Don't necessarily need armor but some abrasion resistance would be nice.

Who wears em? What kind? How much? How about a review and rating?
I've had pretty good luck with "Sliders", from Competition Accessories. They offer jeans, cargo pants and mesh. Haven't any experience with the mesh. The jeans are probably 13oz denim, good for summer. The cargos are heavier weight, good for spring/fall alone, need some winter underwear for cold weather(below 40 deg F). They run about $80-90, but periodically go on sale. BTW, I have had excellent customer service from C.A.
 
Thread starter
Looks nice Rolls and priced well, but significantly warmer than regular jeans is not the direction I was headed in lol. Significantly cooler would be nice.
 
I hear you! I've actually been looking around for some pants that would provide more protection, but would also be cooler.
 
Thread starter
was just googling Mesh riding pants. They are not that much more than Kevlar jeans, although in the heat we have been having lately my mesh jacket isn't exactly cool either.
 
Have the Sliders here as well. Temp-wise they're pretty close to jeans with armor in the knees. Seem okay but mesh might be better.
 
Thread starter
holy smokes $400..yea I'm too frugal for those lol
 
Back
Top