who wears Kevlar lined jeans?

I had a pair of Sliders and really tried to like them, but they felt overly warm even on cooler days, and the Kevlar was noticeably scratchy even through the liner material. All I could think about while riding was how nice it was going to be to take them off.

I've since converted over to good old Carhartt double-front logger pants. I tested them on a long hot day ride with a pair of Forcefield armored shorts as a base and the Carhartt knee pads in the knee pockets. Compared to the Sliders it was like having on a nice pair of flannel pajamas :). I'm fully aware that even the doubled-up layers of heavy fabric may not last as long as Kevlar in a slide, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. And of course, the Carhartt knee pads aren't CE rated crash protection, but maybe they're better than nothing.

I just took delivery of some Bohn armored pants as an alternative for under the Carhartts, but haven't test-ridden them yet. Hmmm...maybe I'll do that today and report back! Anyway, long story short...for me, the Kevlar was not pleasant. Hot, clammy, scratchy...everything I don't want when I'm riding.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'll confess, although I normally wear armored riding pants, it's been so stinkin' hot and humid this month I have been doing the majority of my rides in denim jeans. I like the look and practicality of jeans but the protection of riding pants. A little more protection in my jeans would be nice. Don't necessarily need armor but some abrasion resistance would be nice.

Who wears em? What kind? How much? How about a review and rating?

I invested in a pair of "Force Riders" Kevlar lined riding jeans. I Purchased from eBay for $80. Lined with Kevlar at all impact areas. They are very comfortable and do not bunch up as some have experienced. They also came with CE rated armor in the knees and hips however I wound up removing the armor. Wash cold and dryer safe. Look like regular jeans. Available in dark navy, classic blue or black. Also offer both waist & length sizes. I recommend them to anyone who wants the look of quality jeans but with more protection and comfort.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
we did not even get a frost last year so I ride my air cooled naked bikes air cooled !
Gosh that would be nice, I could ride 365/yr down there. However I couldn't do the mosquitos, poisonous snakes, hurricanes, straight roads ...... :rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
we did not even get a frost last year so I ride my air cooled naked bikes air cooled !
Gosh that would be nice, I could ride 365/yr down there. However I couldn't do the mosquitos, poisonous snakes, hurricanes, straight roads ...... :rofl:
Gosh that would be nice, I could ride 365/yr down there. However I couldn't do the mosquitos, poisonous snakes, hurricanes, straight roads ...... :rofl:
Don't forget the gators and sink holes, lol.
 
+1 on the factory seconds Draggin jeans. I went to the factory store as well. I also have a pair of Speed and Strength Rage with the Machine denim/kevlar jeans which include knee armor as well. As hot as it has been I haven't minded wearing either of them.
 
I have a pair of Diamond Gusset and one of Draggin' Jeans. Both very well made and I like the additional protection of the kevlar (vs Levi's). The Draggin' fit a little bit more like regular jeans.

I don't like them so much, though, when I have to stop in traffic and it's 90+ degrees.
 
I admit I wear regular denims most of the time but I have a pair of draggin jeans that I wear on occasion. I also have a pair of chaps that come in handy when it cools off and actually have been very happy with them.
 
I wear a TourMaster Tracker Air Pant. I suppose it's a trade off of just regular jeans and full armor pants. There in lies our issue of comfort vs protection. I'd like to get some protective type jeans as well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Speed and Strength make Kevlar jeans with kneepads for $150 is what I use. Very normal looking jeans and they don't bunch at all as the kevlar is stitched within so haven't had any issue with it.
 
I've got a pair of Bilt black cargo pants and a pair of Icon jeans. The Bilt cargos are cut roomier, and even though I'm thin, they're a lot more comfortable on the bike. The Icons look pretty much like a pair of jeans, are a much thicker material, and just seem to be of superior quality all-around, but like regular jeans, they bunch up - especially in the crotch - when seated, and are a tighter fit, including the waist. So unfortunately, though the Icons seem a better product, the comfort factor of the Bilts wins out about 95% of the time. Regardless, they've got to be better coverage than a plain ol' pair of Levis...
 
Thread starter
Old thread. I never did get a pair of riding jeans but they are still on my wish list.
 
I went with the draggin jeans b/c one key thing that they advertised is, the fit is true to size. When a jeans mfr says True to size, it better fit just like Levi's Jeans. That's my template for true to size jeans.

This is dragging jeans' sizing chart for the style I got(relaxed fit):


one dimension that I've not seen before is the rise dimension they provide. This is the only issue I have w/ draggin vs Levi's. My Levi's fit right above my hip bone, which I prefer, and the crotch area fits my crotch nicely. No probs whatsoever mounting and dismounting my bikes, as they don't bunch up in that area.

The draggin jeans when it's worn above the hip, the crotch area droops down farther than I like it to be, so when I kick my r foot over the m/c seat, it restricts max. movement. I can't fault draggin, b/c they did diligence and posted the dimension, which I failed to measure before purchasing. So, if you're considering draggin', spend a minute or two looking over all the dims.

All in all, I sure do like this brand. Unlike my dedicated riding gear which I only wear when I ride, during the winter, I'll wear these jeans as my daily wear for plunking around the house, to walk around town in, go grab a bite to eat.
 
I will probably try the Scorpion Covert Pro jeans. They look, and are purported to fit, like Levis 501s (although I think I fit better in 505s. The "Pro" is more expensive ($160ish) than the regular Coverts ($120ish), but they have stronger Kevlar and the are made from Cordura rather than denim.

This is slightly off-topic, but Cheryl is looking at Kevlar-lined leggings. One of her riding friends has them and they look good and have knee and (I think) hip protection. The make them in men's sizes, but they're a little too 'yoga pantsy' for me. I was thinking I might use them at a base layer under something like a snowmobile pant for winter riding.
 
I have a couple pairs of Draggin’ jeans. Kevlar lined in the butt and knees....fit is true and they look just like regular jeans. They can be a little too warm in the summer but worth it for the added protection.
 
Draggin' jeans look like they do the job and they come in, I think, three different fits. I don't care for the horizontal seams on them. That's a fashion, not function, issue, though and a matter of personal taste.

Someone, but I can't recall who, is making jeans using Kevlar fiber woven into the denim which is supposed to help them breathe better without sacrificing protection. My recollection is that they were quite pricey. Wish I could remember the company name.
 
Back
Top