Who makes the best...

redReno_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Which companies have you had experience with that made outstanding protective equipment?

Helmet:
Jacket:
Gloves:
Pants:
Boots:
Suit:
Reflective gear:
Water resistant/proof gear:
Pack/Luggage:KRIEGA

I've had a shoei and alpinestars gear. Helmet is ok, I think I'll get a shuberth when I have the dough. Alpinestars jacket I've had for almost 2 years and it's still pretty good. Gloves are done.
I have Chippewa boots, great while riding but kind of uncomfortable to walk in.
I'd say kriega is the only company I know for sure that makes great packs, I love mine.
 
"Best" is going to vary from one individual to the next.

Here are the companies whose products I've had good experiences with:

Helmet: I've been using Arai helmets since I started riding on the street seven years ago. Very happy with their product as well as their customer service (I broke one of the air vent switches on top of my current helmet after about 4 years of use. I had a replacement item back on the helmet in less than a weeks time at no cost to me. Most any modern helmet that fits well is going to be a better option than the latest /greatest helmet that doesn't fit right. Also, I prefer to buy my helmets as small / tight as possible without causing pain or discomfort. Over time, the inner lining materials do break in a bit and loosen up some.

Jacket: I own a Langlitz Leathers custom jacket. But I would actually recommend Johnson Leathers out of San Francisco. They are more than capable of making higher quality custom leathers at prices lower than what you'll pay for similar off-the-rack items from the big name manufacturers like Alpinestars or Dainese. They send you a test-fit jacket and then modify accordingly based on how the standard jacket fits and will make other customizations per your requests. The Johnson Leathers website does not represent their products well at all (nor does it represent their complete product line, so I'd recommend giving them a call). So, crappy website, but awesome leathers. Their work is truly top notch. (I also own an Alpinestars mesh jacket for the summertime when things get really warm.)

Gloves: I'm very particular about the fit of my gloves and would have a hard time buying a pair that I couldn't try on first without being able to return them hassle free. I own gloves from Dainese and Alpinestars and REV'IT. The Alpinestars fit my hands slightly better and have held up better than the Dainese gloves. The REV'IT gloves are for winter use only and are waterproof and insulated.

Pants: I own leather pants from Langlitz and some textile overpants from Alpinestars. I'd like to find a pair of leather overpants some day.

Boots: I use Dainese TRQ-Tour boots. These are waterproof and provide good protection. These boots have really been great, but down the road I'd prefer to find a boot that offered similar protection (from the elements as well as from accidents) but with a bit more of a straightforward, plain look.

Suit: No suit. Maybe some day.

Reflective gear: My Alpinestars jacket has built-in reflective surfaces as well as hi-viz markings. I cover my Langlitz jacket with an Icon hi-viz vest with reflective surfaces. My Kriega backpack has built-in reflective surfaces also.

Water resistant/proof gear: I have a REV'IT Pacific H2O one piece rain suit for when things get really wet.

Pack/Luggage: I too love my Kriega backpack and always use it for my commute to work. I also have a tank pack and a seat pack from Cortech that work well.
 
Shoei if it fits, Dainese if it fits, Hepco-Becker
I've had people at lights compliment me for my Dainese leather jacket when I thought they were going to say the motorcycle :-)
 
Mr Ferret's collection of gear requires an entire forum.
 
Lol...Ferret here

Yes I have a lot of gear, but I am a common man, easily pleased.

I wear HJC helmets, couldn't tell you what their customer service is like because I've never needed them. Open face, 3/4, modular, full face, the IS series, I'm happy with them all. They fit me well, probably not the quietest, or have the best air flow, but I'm happy with them.

Same for my textile jackets..Tourmaster and Cortech. Never had a stitch or zipper fail, no velcro has come loose, they just do what they are supposed to do.

My riding pants are Tourmaster and Fieldsheer..work as advertised.

My solid leather jacket is an X-Element and there is a seam on the shoulder that has let loose. Its seen a lot of years/miles and was inexpensive to begin with. Love to have a Vanson, Langlitz, or Fox Valley but I am too frugal.

My mesh leather is a Tecknic... No issues.

Most of my gloves are Tourmaster and Cortech too, and they are good gloves, but I wear my deerskin gloves most of the time. I was unhappy with a pair of Alpinestars gloves that were advertised as waterproof and weren't.

I also use Cortech and Tourmaster soft luggage. Good stuff.

Despite the complete failure of the Alpinestars gloves, my Alpinestars waterproof touring boots have been waterproof and have been good boots. I also have a pair of Vega Nitro boots that have been decent, but not great.

My Frogg Toggs raingear has kept me dry so far.

I ride all year round in the midwest and that requires a lot of gear. From 0 degrees to over 100, rain, wind, and snow. Hardly miss a day as long as the roads are clear. I put my gear to the test, and I must say, compared to the gear we had 40 years ago (open face Buco fiberglass helmets with very little interior foam, goggles or bubble shields, work boots, green Army pea coats and wool sweaters, work gloves, blue jeans, maybe a wool scarf..the gear available today is just outstanding. It keeps you warm, and dry, is stylish and provides great protection if you fall off.

You know as far as what is best? Caviar and champaign is expensive, I'd rather have a cheeseburger and a coke. 5 star hotels cost a lot, I stay in Quality Inns or Microtels. That probably says a lot about me lol.
 
Thread starter
Great posts so far :thumbsup:
Thanks!
I'll be in Virginia for a few months, still debating whether or not I should ship the bike over (I'm worried about the colder months), but The ferret's post is edging me to a yes.
 
Pretty happy with my Olympia mesh jacket and pants. They have a wind/water proof liner, but I also carry Revit rain gear...I find it much easier to add the Revit gear over my jacket and pants rather than zipping in the liners. SO, I guess I'm recommending an armored mesh jacket and pant, but skip the liners and buy frog togs or Revit rain gear.

HJC helmets are fine, but "best" will be the one that fits you correctly and has the safety and convenience features you want.

I like my Lee Parks deerskin gloves...not armored, but have skid patches. Very comfortable.

Also, most of this information is readily available in the Gear section divided pretty much by individual item. A lt of good and detailed information is already here for you :)

I'm not as diehard as Ferret, but layering with reasonably good gear keeps me riding in Chicago pretty deep into the cold and/or wet.
 
I'm not going to go out and say that these things are the *best* because I don't have enough experience with other brands, but I'm happy with my current ensemble:

Helmet: Shoei RF-1100
Jacket: River Road leather, ~$400
Gloves: Oakley Factory Pilots, carbon fiber knuckle plates, ~$80
Pants: Prefer not to wear any
Boots: Oakley Standard Issue ~$90
Suit: Sonny Crockett's
 
PLEASE wear pants when out in public... :P
 
He's a ghst and doesn't need them. :)
 
yep just received my Kriega R25 backpack. Only minor is its not full waterproof.

Other than that, 10 year warranty, superior materials, fat YKK zippers and that QUADLOC harness truely is the best backpack system money can buy, you simply do not feel anything on your shoulders.

Def gonna order the small Kriega cube for wallet, phone and sunglasses and perhaps a 5 liter drybag.
 
I'm in Texas...

Helmet: My HS football helmet with nose guard.
Jacket: From the same HS, with the Letter on back.
Boots: Sears... high tops.
Gloves: From Walmart's fall collection.
Luggage: Heavy duty, large, and I chose paper.

And this is how I can afford my new CB1100...
 
Helmet: I own several and really can's say any are a standout. Of them all I like the Fly ADV helmet the most. High vis yellow/great field of vision and I'm now at the point were I wished all my helmets had visors.
Jacket: Several by Icon. My original Icon mesh armored does double duty when I ride atv's. Has really held up well over the years. For cold weather I ride with a Koolah Australian Wax waist cut bomber jacket. Superb fit and absolutely wind/water proof. Have had it for 15 years and shows almost no signs of wear
Gloves: Several pairs. Chosen for temps mostly. I'm not finicky about fit
Pants: Carhart's with double fronted chaps and knee pads inserted. Hold up well. On longer trips supplemented with leather chaps
Boots: For road trips Fox Comp5S boots. Mid height boot/waterproof/does double duty occasionally on the ATV and have held up incredibly well considering their price point at around $125
For around town Sear's Diehard Boots/mid height. Don't laugh, 12 years old and going strong. I've worn out two sets of Merrell Boots and a pair of their low cut hikers during that time wearing them only on 2-3 long backpacking trips a year during the summer. I'll put up those Diehards against any premium brand of boots I've owned (Danner/Matterhorn/Timberlands of older vintage) and they will hold their own.
Suit: If I owned one it would be from Men's Warehouse
Reflective gear: None
Water resistant/proof gear: A North Face Lightweight Rain Parka and pants made of proprietary fabric.
Pack/Luggage: Mil Spec Voodoo Backpack that's expandable and has a pocket for internal hydration bladder...although I don't use one...luggage is Cortech and Nelson Rigg. I'm very happy with both. I also use Watershed dry bags. Worth the extra expense for the quality and longevity they provide. Also use Sealine dry duffles

Honorable mention:
Any eyewear by Julbo. How Oakleys can justify their price point is beyond me when Julbo's offerings are considered.

Lastly....A Buff..started using them last year and can't ride without them anymore...they quiet down ANY helmet to a very noticeable point and in colder temps make a QUANTUM difference in warmth and comfort.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Helmet: I own several and really can's say any are a standout. Of them all I like the Fly ADV helmet the most. High vis yellow/great field of vision and I'm now at the point were I wished all my helmets had visors.
Jacket: Several by Icon. My original Icon mesh armored does double duty when I ride atv's. Has really held up well over the years. For cold weather I ride with a Koolah Australian Wax waist cut bomber jacket. Superb fit and absolutely wind/water proof. Have had it for 15 years and shows almost no signs of wear
Gloves: Several pairs. Chosen for temps mostly. I'm not finicky about fit
Pants: Carhart's with double fronted chaps and knee pads inserted. Hold up well. On longer trips supplemented with leather chaps
Boots: For road trips Fox Comp5S boots. Mid height boot/waterproof/does double duty occasionally on the ATV and have held up incredibly well considering their price point at around $125
For around town Sear's Diehard Boots/mid height. Don't laugh, 12 years old and going strong. I've worn out two sets of Merrell Boots and a pair of their low cut hikers during that time wearing them only on 2-3 long backpacking trips a year during the summer. I'll put up those Diehards against any premium brand of boots I've owned (Danner/Matterhorn/Timberlands of older vintage) and they will hold their own.
Suit: If I owned one it would be from Men's Warehouse
Reflective gear: None
Water resistant/proof gear: A North Face Lightweight Rain Parka and pants made of proprietary fabric.
Pack/Luggage: Mil Spec Voodoo Backpack that's expandable and has a pocket for internal hydration bladder...although I don't use one...luggage is Cortech and Nelson Rigg. I'm very happy with both. I also use Watershed dry bags. Worth the extra expense for the quality and longevity they provide. Also use Sealine dry duffles

Honorable mention:
Any eyewear by Julbo. How Oakleys can justify their price point is beyond me when Julbo's offerings are considered.

Lastly....A Buff..started using them last year and can't ride without them anymore...they quiet down ANY helmet to a very noticeable point and in colder temps make a QUANTUM difference in warmth and comfort.
Say, we've got a spicy crowd here... shdwghst457 prefers not to wear any Pants (because he's a shadow ghost?) while riding, and Frulk indicates above that he likes riding in the Buff. LOL

Seriously, what IS a Buff...? Oh, I get it now... some call it a Balaclava. :P
fritz
 
Sports & Outdoor Neck Gaiters and Caps

Buff is a generic term that describes a long tube of material worn over the head in several different configurations. Buff also is the name of a trademarked company. Buff's made by "Buff" are usually a little thinner material then some other ones on the market. I normally wear a buff from Mission (one size fits all) that is made of somewhat thicker stretchable fabric that can be soaked in water for a cooling effect during summer or kept dry when warmth is a priority. Because it's a little thicker than the standard buff it fills the gaps around my helmet padding and reduces wind noise significantly in all my helmets when worn. It also protects me from bug strikes and road debris on the throat/neck.
 
redReno_imp said:
Which companies have you had experience with that made outstanding protective equipment?

Helmet:
Jacket:
Gloves:
Pants:
Boots:
Suit:
Reflective gear:
Water resistant/proof gear:
Pack/Luggage:KRIEGA

I've had a shoei and alpinestars gear. Helmet is ok, I think I'll get a shuberth when I have the dough. Alpinestars jacket I've had for almost 2 years and it's still pretty good. Gloves are done.
I have Chippewa boots, great while riding but kind of uncomfortable to walk in.
I'd say kriega is the only company I know for sure that makes great packs, I love mine.
Helmet: Scorpion and KBC flip fronts. not so good with my old HJC flip front (it was my first helmet)
Jacket: hein gerrike (winter jacket), fieldsheer mesh, just got a tourmaster flex that seems real nice so far, and a nice first leather jacket
Gloves: too many to choose from, all work very well
Pants: been using sliders from COMPACC recently as well as firstgear. had a pair of tourmaster that didn't last long due to their poor quality zippers
Boots: loved my wolverine boots replaced with a nice pair of magnum boots. got a waterproof(ish) pair of bilt boots from cycle gear.
Suit: loved my fieldsheer, just got the scorpion one, but can't let the fieldsheer one go yet.
Reflective gear: i got nothing specific for this.
Water resistant/proof gear: froggs toggs all the way
Pack/Luggage: never had an issue with anything i have/use

on the flip side i stay away from anything from joe rocket.
 
I don't have any but just out of curiosity why no Joe Rocket? I see a lot of guys wearing it and my wife has one jacket she's never had an issue with
 
Ferret and I have almost identical tastes in riding gear; HJC, Tourmaster, Alpinestars, Froggs Toggs, Fieldsheer, Olympia, and Diamond Gusset jeans.
Nothing but great service from all labels and I have never had any issues.
 
Back
Top