Who Had a CB750

indianrider, the second and third pics are awesome.

My younger brother had a 78. Bought it new. He has often mentioned how it was one of his favorite bikes.

I think forum member Hondahoarder has one now.
 
Yes 1978 was the last Sohc 750 ... in 1979 they brought out the Dohc models
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yes 1978 was the last Sohc 750 ... in 1979 they brought out the Dohc models
Goes to show what a great design that engine was, lasted about 10yrs without many updates.

I went from this 350 yam, to a CB750.
The ferret_imp said:
Goes to show what a great design that engine was, lasted about 10yrs without many updates.
The ferret_imp said:
Yes 1978 was the last Sohc 750 ... in 1979 they brought out the Dohc models
Goes to show what a great design that engine was, lasted about 10yrs without many updates.
 
And the dohc actually went from 79 to 2003 in different iterations from 750 to 900 to 1000 to 1100 cc
 
The ferret_imp said:
And the dohc actually went from 79 to 2003 in different iterations from 750 to 900 to 1000 to 1100 cc
So many great machines from that series. While most folks seem to most fondly remember the "F" models, I've always loved the early 80's 750, 900 and 1000 Customs. Beauties all!
 
I had a '75 and a '78 back in the 80's. Back then those bikes were just yesterday's news and widely available. Man I wish I held on to some of that old furniture.
 
The ferret_imp said:
And the dohc actually went from 79 to 2003 in different iterations from 750 to 900 to 1000 to 1100 cc
Technically, the DOHC 750 stayed in production from 79 to 08. An even 30 years.

After the last CB700/750s Nighthawk S in '86, the engine continued life in Europe and Asia as the CBX750. That morphed into the last generation Nighthawk here in the states and an upgraded version for Euro/Asia called the CB SevenFifty or F2. The last DOHC 750 was a Japan-only version in '08/'09 like this one :

94671d2c5f0560f463a27048bd736649.jpg
 
Thaks Flyn ...I didn't think about the rest of the world, just my little piece of the big blue marble. I like that last Japanese version ...like an updated Nighthawk 750.
 
That is the same CB Seven Fifty that they sold along side the Nighthawk 750 in Europe. The CB Seven Fifty is more common I believe due to the larger fuel tank, styling and the better breaking. The Nighthawk was the "cheaper" model that still got you the CB750 engine.
 
ive had a couple.

a later-style 78 cb750k which I sold and a 75 cb750k that I still own. the 75 is a great bike given its age, and gets much praise wherever I take it. I rode it anyplace last summer and it had no problems keeping up (while getting better economy than) my buddy's 2007 bonnie.

I would attach a pic if I could figure out how.

I enjoy riding them both, but the cb1100 is undoubtedly much smoother. no plans on selling either at this time, but I am considering selling my 88 gsxr 750 to find a cb900f .

jt
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
And the dohc actually went from 79 to 2003 in different iterations from 750 to 900 to 1000 to 1100 cc
Technically, the DOHC 750 stayed in production from 79 to 08. An even 30 years.

After the last CB700/750s Nighthawk S in '86, the engine continued life in Europe and Asia as the CBX750. That morphed into the last generation Nighthawk here in the states and an upgraded version for Euro/Asia called the CB SevenFifty or F2. The last DOHC 750 was a Japan-only version in '08/'09 like this one :

94671d2c5f0560f463a27048bd736649.jpg
Technically, the DOHC 750 stayed in production from 79 to 08. An even 30 years.

After the last CB700/750s Nighthawk S in '86, the engine continued life in Europe and Asia as the CBX750. That morphed into the last generation Nighthawk here in the states and an upgraded version for Euro/Asia called the CB SevenFifty or F2. The last DOHC 750 was a Japan-only version in '08/'09 like this one :

88f5c9cbed77d5f58501699c9f439144.jpg

I used to live in Japan and I saw these around once in a while, sometimes in the silver color with blue highlights on the tank. I admired the hell out of those. Would have loved it if they had offered that over here, but now what we got is just as good or better, so I can't complain! :thumbsup:
 
Randy B_imp said:
That is the same CB Seven Fifty that they sold along side the Nighthawk 750 in Europe. The CB Seven Fifty is more common I believe due to the larger fuel tank, styling and the better breaking. The Nighthawk was the "cheaper" model that still got you the CB750 engine.
Right. This was one of those cases where the Euro/Asia version was more refined than the U.S. version. The U.S. Nighthawk was specifically a price point bargain bike. Honda did everything they could to get the price below $4K when it was introduced (including making the centerstand an option). The Euro/Asia version got triple disc brakes, better suspension (note the remote reservoir shocks), better finish and bigger tank.

I wonder if Honda was thinking along those lines when they decided on spokes wheels for the Euro CB11 EX and standard cast wheels for the U.S Deluxe.
 
Had a cb750k '75 for a whopping month (time it took to get it running), and sold it for profit a few days ago :)
In the end I made roughly $1,200 on the sale (purchased parts already deducted)
 
A clean running example, with a clean tank and original pipes (even if they are patched)? You won't touch that for $3500.... I'm guessing it will go for around $8K before all is said and done.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
A clean running example, with a clean tank and original pipes (even if they are patched)? You won't touch that for $3500.... I'm guessing it will go for around $8K before all is said and done.
That sounds more like it.
 
Back
Top