Who does the "morning check"?

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Since I like to ride I realize these days as I look ahead to possibly turning 60 in a couple weeks, I have taken to doing a morning assessment of what parts still work and which are just going south or have been removed.

I just start from the top and go down.

1. "Do I have a headache this morning?"
If "yes" then:
"Is it a tension headache or a migraine headache?"
If it is a tension headache (too much time on this forum) I slam my customary three shots of espresso, roasted in the Pacific Northwest according to the bag of beans I bought yesterday. (How you like that alliteration?)

If a migraine, I resign myself to at least 36 hours of being utterly out of commission. No medications help.

2. Do my arms work right? Check the rotator cuffs, elbows and fingers. Can I move them without reaching for a bottle of Norco? If yes, go to the next question. If no, move 'em around a while and hope the kinks work out.

3. How is my back? Do those old dirt bike fractures bother me today? If no, go to step 4. If yes, go back to bed.

4. Does the plumbing work? If yes, drink some coffee. If no, drink something stronger.

5. Can I stand unassisted? If yes, try to walk.

6. Can I walk? [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9879&pid=156974#pid156974]If yes, try to ride. :beerchug::biker:
 
:D I'll be 79 on Tuesday and jump out of bed every morning ready to go.
No assessment required, thank you very much :banana:
 
Rocky_imp said:
:D I'll be 79 on Tuesday and jump out of bed every morning ready to go.
No assessment required, thank you very much :banana:
My hero :thumbsup:

I know things are going to hurt and be stiff before I even get up, so I head right for the aleve bottle and grab a pill to take with my morning tea. After that, ...I'm ready to ride! ;)

Ulve each milestone birthday brings on a new set of challenges..40, 50, 60, 70, 80. Most of us are not as fortunate as Rocky and must "work around" the failing eye sight and hearing, sore and stiff joints from arthritis, sleeping issues, digestive issues etc etc. Playing sports, riding dirt bikes and other hobbies, running, jogging, bicycling, soccer, football all take their toll. Broken bones tend to get arthritus earlier and more agressively. Hips, knees, shoulders. excess weight is not kind on joints either. Man is not certainly easy on himself.
 
Ha! From your subject line, I thought you meant checking on the bike first thing in the morning. As a 59.75 year old myself, I wake up every night at 3:35. First thing I do is head for the toilet. Second thing I do is peak out through the blinds to be sure the bike is still in the drive, cozy in it's cover. With that reassurance, I can sleep fine until daylight.
 
Lol! I thought I would get some insight on upgrading my pre-ride inspection. But can relate.

Yea baby old age is not for wimps. Remember the Marine Corp motto "pain is good, it means you are still alive"

I ride the CB more as the BMW is top heavy and taller. But when cold it is. My go to bike

I get the TURP surgery in Jan

Anyone got experience to share? Pm me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
Lol! I thought I would get some insight on upgrading my pre-ride inspection. But can relate.

Yea baby old age is not for wimps. Remember the Marine Corp motto "pain is good, it means you are still alive"

I ride the CB more as the BMW is top heavy and taller. But when cold it is. My go to bike

I get the TURP surgery in Jan

Anyone got experience to share? Pm me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any cutting and sewing down there is going to be weird to say the least.

My junk is not back to normal yet. That hernia surgery, they get right in there and mess around quite a bit.

But it's coming along OK from what I can tell.
 
Wolfie, if you're a frequent migraine sufferer, ask your doctor about rizatriptan MLT (maxalt-mlt). Also, you may have success with gabapentin (neutontin). My neurologist turned me on to this stuff a few months ago.
 
[My hero :thumbsup:

I know things are going to hurt and be stiff before I even get up, so I head right for the aleve bottle and grab a pill to take with my morning tea. After that, ...I'm ready to ride! ;)

Ulve each milestone birthday brings on a new set of challenges..40, 50, 60, 70, 80. Most of us are not as fortunate as Rocky and must "work around" the failing eye sight and hearing, sore and stiff joints from arthritis, sleeping issues, digestive issues etc etc. Playing sports, riding dirt bikes and other hobbies, running, jogging, bicycling, soccer, football all take their toll. Broken bones tend to get arthritus earlier and more agressively. Hips, knees, shoulders. excess weight is not kind on joints either. Man is not certainly easy on himself.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, is that what I have to look forward to when I get old :rofl:
Not to gloat, but those milestones in my life passed without a whimper. I'll have to wait and see what 80 brings.
Hopefully, it's more of the same - and more miles and smiles on the CB and the rest of the fleet :D
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Wolfie, if you're a frequent migraine sufferer, ask your doctor about rizatriptan MLT (maxalt-mlt). Also, you may have success with gabapentin (neutontin). My neurologist turned me on to this stuff a few months ago.
I am, it varies. Sometimes I'll get a couple in a month, sometimes I'll go months between them.

The cause, fortunately, is almost always known.

Last week I ate some chocolate with whey protein. Did not check the ingredients closely enough. That did the job.

Most types of flavor enhancers with fermented or protein-based ingredients will do it.

So, all fast food is out.
 
No junk food should make you pretty healthy, Ulvetanna!
 
"If a migraine, I resign myself to at least 36 hours of being utterly out of commission. No medications help."

I get chronic migraines. no meds help me either! But! i recently have had the botox injections for migraines and it cut my episodes down in half! That and cutting out alcohol which is one of my triggers. not sure if you tried botox yet thought I'd chime in.
 
Rocky_imp said:
:D I'll be 79 on Tuesday and jump out of bed every morning ready to go.
No assessment required, thank you very much :banana:
+1

Same for me also.

Maybe the 4 spin classes, 2 Pilates classes and 1 strength class each week are helping.
 
Thread starter
holy666diver_imp said:
"If a migraine, I resign myself to at least 36 hours of being utterly out of commission. No medications help."

I get chronic migraines. no meds help me either! But! i recently have had the botox injections for migraines and it cut my episodes down in half! That and cutting out alcohol which is one of my triggers. not sure if you tried botox yet thought I'd chime in.
Yep they suck, so far I just gut it out. I hate taking any medications. Took nothing for pain after the surgery because of the side effects.
Pete Erickson_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
:D I'll be 79 on Tuesday and jump out of bed every morning ready to go.
No assessment required, thank you very much :banana:
+1

Same for me also.

Maybe the 4 spin classes, 2 Pilates classes and 1 strength class each week are helping.
+1

Same for me also.

Maybe the 4 spin classes, 2 Pilates classes and 1 strength class each week are helping. Oh, a wise guy, huh?

I guess all the road cycling didn't hurt my fitness level, but that dirt bike crash that cracked two vertebrae and wrecked my rotator cuffs didn't help none.

Everyone is different but it will catch up to us all eventually. The harder you live, the more it shows.

Time for another quote, who can guess from where?

[url=https://youtu.be/SFzxuEm9MyM?t=46]"It's not the years, Honey, it's the mileage."

And I don't mind saying I have a few...hundred thousand. I'll deal with the aches and pains as long as I can.:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top