Whitewall Tires

jerrycon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Let me state, for the record, that I have not been drinking. It occurred to me this evening that what would really complete the look of the black standard is whitewall tires. What do you think? Is this idea as brilliant as I think it is?

The closest I could find is a great looking 1971 CB750 cafe build:

 
Maybe someone could photoshop a set on our bikes so we could laugh, uh, I mean decide ;)
 
I thought someone on the forum had done it. They'd been :beerchug:
See here.
 
jerrycon_imp said:
Let me state, for the record, that I have not been drinking. It occurred to me this evening that what would really complete the look of the black standard is whitewall tires. What do you think? Is this idea as brilliant as I think it is?

The closest I could find is a great looking 1971 CB750 cafe build:
I think it's odd that you haven't been drinking. It's Tuesday night for goodness sake! Practically the weekend!
 
gossman_imp said:
Had them on my last bike along with spokes. Looked good but a pain to clean
And I'm drinking now.
A pain to clean. Yup...if Honda had favored the bike with a belt drive, whitewalls would have been a viable option. As it is, with years since I was with an open-chain drive (shaft and belt, on previous bikes) I'm rediscovering the joy of chain gunk dripping off the rims and tires.

I haven't even lubed it yet - this is factory lube getting thrown.

So...no, thanks.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Cormanus. Vic's CB1100 does have the look I'm going for, and those whitewalls do look good even on the red bike. Well-done, Vic in Sydney. Great minds think alike.

Vic, if you be present, might I be so curious as to ask what tires you used exactly? My hour-long Internet search came up fairly empty. Did you perhaps go with sizes other than 110/80 and 140/70?

3297e7d05f3e050ac8ad0347565ad28a.jpg


Cormanus_imp said:
I thought someone on the forum had done it. They'd been :beerchug:
See here.
https://cb1100forum.net/threads/59385/
 
VTR1000F_imp said:
Sorry, whitewalls are a no-go for me. Btw I would sacrifice few HP for a shaft drive on a CB...
I wouldn't - for a simple reason.

It would deviate from its model, as a re-creation of the CB750.

Now, if Honda would see fit to re-release the CX500, with its water-cooled V engine and shaft drive...I'd be right there. Guess I'd have FOUR bikes...
 
I thought there was some more discussion about those tires other than the thread referenced by Cormanus, but I can't remember where. I'll have to do some searching later unless someone else finds it.

Jerry, you could try PM'ing Vic. Maybe he will respond.
 
jerrycon_imp said:
Thanks, Cormanus. Vic's CB1100 does have the look I'm going for, and those whitewalls do look good even on the red bike. Well-done, Vic in Sydney. Great minds think alike.

Vic, if you be present, might I be so curious as to ask what tires you used exactly? My hour-long Internet search came up fairly empty. Did you perhaps go with sizes other than 110/80 and 140/70?

3297e7d05f3e050ac8ad0347565ad28a.jpg


Cormanus_imp said:
I thought someone on the forum had done it. They'd been :beerchug:
See here.



I believe he said the dealer painted them for him. Let me see if I can find it.

Post 11

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3738&page=2]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....738&page=2

also posts 16 and 18 here

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2495&page=2]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....495&page=2



.
 
Lol it IS April 1st isn't it? No this ones for real.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
VTR1000F_imp said:
Sorry, whitewalls are a no-go for me. Btw I would sacrifice few HP for a shaft drive on a CB...
I wouldn't - for a simple reason.

It would deviate from its model, as a re-creation of the CB750.

Now, if Honda would see fit to re-release the CX500, with its water-cooled V engine and shaft drive...I'd be right there. Guess I'd have FOUR bikes...
I wouldn't - for a simple reason.

It would deviate from its model, as a re-creation of the CB750.

Now, if Honda would see fit to re-release the CX500, with its water-cooled V engine and shaft drive...I'd be right there. Guess I'd have FOUR bikes... I'd prefer the GB500, but the CX in the 650 format, would be very cool.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Ferret. I'll stop my fruitless searching. That time will be better spent researching how to paint my own whitewalls. Hmm... Maybe even a checkerboard pattern?
Here's one from 1968 (car). Not quite what I'm thinking of, but sort of the idea:

7dc1e4d75bd36bf4dcf6699c6c39de0e.JPG
 
Back
Top