Whitehouse K17 mods...

Bazbro, it is the little tweaks like this that make it fun. If you got it all perfect the first time, you'd have to move on to something else. Also, you have found something that others would not have anticipated and can now incorporate into their plan, should they wish to use the earlier mudguard.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
No probs, Popgun.

I cannot Copy/Paste the ones I've already done - I've just tried. if Admin could help with that, I'll double post in future, one here so the story continues, and another, separate post in the How To section. :)
Swapping handlebars...

The bars had to be exchanged because they were bent. I wanted the lower bars and was lucky to find an original Honda set cheap on eBay.
The damage...

94b7b2510d0239fb33eb7a1540877360.jpg


First job is to temporarily fix a stick across the tops of the forks - somewhere to hang the hydraulic fluid reservoirs so that the system doesn't need to be drained.

6ee9a3dac274e9040daf24ac97fbea14.jpg


The wing mirrors don't need to be removed, but one of mine is damaged so it's being exchanged; plus it makes the reservoirs less ungainly when taped to the stick. The thread at the bottom of the mirrors was surface rusted - VERY worrying on a 'bike that's just months old! And doubly worrying that this is supposedly a quality 'bike. Both screws were restored to 'as new' with the ACF50, with the knowledge that they'll be well-protected by it in future, under the little rubber boots.

36afc2348e41ac6d0dd907f67b50e101.jpg


e01cf9ed26ffb539b1a521a2811de0d8.jpg


The mirrors have a left hand thread to undo from the adaptor that screws into the reservoir (right hand thread!).

Undo the screw in the centre of the handlebar balance weight and before it's totally unscrewed, pull the entire insert out of the bars. Mine was tough to do on one side, but dead easy on the other!

84676a2e5ed0f87e88ed4c687691af31.jpg


5b8866647dcefdb4db4f4fb06d00ad56.jpg


Remove the brake or clutch switch wires

74bb6d8d3fccbfa385ec291f3edec650.jpg


Undo the two 8mm bolts securing the hydraulic reservoir, lift off the reservoir from the handlebar, keeping it UPRIGHT, and then temporarily tape it to the stick.

bdfca45cc654fb5bace79c35c7b3ef87.jpg


4b5a16c1e8a9895575858b63ecc1383b.jpg


Undo two screws (in varying positions, depending upon model year) that are holding the throttle/electrics modules onto the bars. Separate the two halves and lift off the electrical half - the throttle will have to remain in situ until the bars are removed because the cable is not long enough.

8d917a249e8cb0cc51af3fd00ab24f4e.jpg


Now repeat for the other side.

When all parts are removed from the bars (except for the throttle and left grip) lift off the decorative caps on the handlebar clamps, using a craft knife blade - they are just push-on but tricky to flick off.

01407dadaeb501870b5255c42bdb6ade.jpg


Move the handlebars to the left and slip off the throttle.

3ed416110e5a78813af9e3849d1f54fb.jpg


Reassembly is the reverse.
Because my 'bike is on the ramp, I'm leaving all bar and mirror adjustments until the 'bike is off the ramp and I can carry out proper adjustments, tighten all nuts/bolts, sitting properly on the 'bike and with a decent view of the road behind. For safety's sake, I've stuck a note to that effect on the speedo, in case I get excited, ride off and the handlebars come off in my hand!!

Remove the left grip off the removed handlebar, by pushing a thin screwdriver between grip and bar, then squirt WD40 alongside the screwdriver. Wiggle the screwdriver around, twist the grip and it will slide off. Dry thoroughly and refit to the new bars. If it won't grip, remove and add soap from a bar of soap - it will let the grip slide on, then harden as it dries and keep the grip in place. Honda use an adhesive - unnecessary in my experience.

The new bars fitted. Just awaiting a new handlebar weight, adjustment and final tightening

5fb65a1d743567141404136d2c1889ed.jpg



.
I like what you are doing. Much more attention to recording detail than me and my DLX. Just to chime in here. I replaced my bar weights with heavier ones, about 3 USA ounces more each to help with vibration. (That is not really that much, but heck, just in case) off ebay for about $10 each.
 
Thread starter
Interesting, heavier weights, Michael. If they're still on eBay, do you have a link?

Did you suffer vibration before fitting the heavier weights?

I can remember when handlebar weights were first suggested/offered as a cure for vibration at the handlebars. But I can't remember the first maker to routinely fit them.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Interesting, heavier weights, Michael. If they're still on eBay, do you have a link?

Did you suffer vibration before fitting the heavier weights?

I can remember when handlebar weights were first suggested/offered as a cure for vibration at the handlebars. But I can't remember the first maker to routinely fit them.
I just looked at Ebay, and the seller I bought mine from is not here, but another seller is selling what looks to be the same. He says 9oz and I thought mine were 10oz, but they are definitely heavier than ours. I put them on my EX and DLX. I am still working on the DLX, and have yet to finish, but it is getting prettier, and back as close to original as possible. I do not think heavier bar weights alters it enough to even notice, and is an improvement anyway. Just enter, "CB1100 Handle bar weights" and he is the first seller. Let me know if you cannot find them. I am going to install the ones I removed from my DLX on the 82' GS1100 I am also working on, to see if it makes a difference. This bike came with none!
 
Thread starter
michael1954_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Interesting, heavier weights, Michael. If they're still on eBay, do you have a link?

Did you suffer vibration before fitting the heavier weights?

I can remember when handlebar weights were first suggested/offered as a cure for vibration at the handlebars. But I can't remember the first maker to routinely fit them.
I just looked at Ebay, and the seller I bought mine from is not here, but another seller is selling what looks to be the same. He says 9oz and I thought mine were 10oz, but they are definitely heavier than ours. I put them on my EX and DLX. I am still working on the DLX, and have yet to finish, but it is getting prettier, and back as close to original as possible. I do not think heavier bar weights alters it enough to even notice, and is an improvement anyway. Just enter, "CB1100 Handle bar weights" and he is the first seller. Let me know if you cannot find them. I am going to install the ones I removed from my DLX on the 82' GS1100 I am also working on, to see if it makes a difference. This bike came with none!
I just looked at Ebay, and the seller I bought mine from is not here, but another seller is selling what looks to be the same. He says 9oz and I thought mine were 10oz, but they are definitely heavier than ours. I put them on my EX and DLX. I am still working on the DLX, and have yet to finish, but it is getting prettier, and back as close to original as possible. I do not think heavier bar weights alters it enough to even notice, and is an improvement anyway. Just enter, "CB1100 Handle bar weights" and he is the first seller. Let me know if you cannot find them. I am going to install the ones I removed from my DLX on the 82' GS1100 I am also working on, to see if it makes a difference. This bike came with none!
Thanks, Michael. :thumbsup:
 
I’m late to the party Barry, but wanted to add that your bike turned out absolutely gorgeous. I’m looking forward to seeing pics in the sunlight!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Excellent work and a job very well done. I’d say don’t sweat the front fender, but if you’re like me, anything imperfect to you will keep making you think about it , even if it’s something nobody else will notice. Funny how our minds work.

Perfect fender or not, it’s a work of art.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Excellent work and a job very well done. I’d say don’t sweat the front fender, but if you’re like me, anything imperfect to you will keep making you think about it , even if it’s something nobody else will notice. Funny how our minds work.

Perfect fender or not, it’s a work of art.
Thanks, Gone... very kind of you to say so. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
.
I thought you might enjoy a direct visual comparison with a 1969 CB750.

Remarkable... The first of the air-cooled fours and the last of the air-cooled fours...

c75329e7ea2ad386bba9f8a8ddb29b0b.jpg

1bf16859952f05889a84777b53017fc7.jpg
 
Great shots, Bazbro. You’ve done a wonderful job with your bike.
 
Back
Top