Whitehouse K17 mods...

Thread starter
tommymck_imp said:
You're a big tease Bazbro. When are we going to see the money shot???!!! That front end looks fantastic
The tank needs assembling first! The tank cap comes as a separate item and the fuel pump has to be removed from the old tank and fitted to the new one. Then ... fitted to the 'bike!

So, soon, Tommy... soon! ;)

073119def6e6ed43b3de20dec21b3e59.jpg
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Fitting Wyvern 4-into-4 exhausts/silencers, Part 2...

You'll remember that I had to pause fitting the middle two silencers because my jack was in the way.  I had to wait until I could refit the front wheel/mudguard (fender) and lower the front wheel to the ground, before I could remove the jack and finish the exhausts.
So.... here we go on Part 2.
Before fitting the 'H'-section joining the middle two exhausts, I needed to safely route the O2 Sensor's cables.  The right-hand one is OK, but the left-hand cable runs dangerously close to, and could be snagged by, the rear drive chain.
I cable-tied the two cables together as far as possible,  then secured them to the main stand spring  hook on the frame, now unused ('3' in the pic).  Other cable-ties were added, especially where the cable needed to be guided near the centre line of the 'bike ('2' in the pic) and then as it went into the cavity occupied by the chain ('1' in the pic).
Cable-tied Gaffer tape was added where the cable passed any sharp edges.

e47c3b37a414e83af52b34c1cc7c6a5a.jpg


039d55ea3ec2e8d0ea97092eb5e626a4.jpg


With foresight, this could have been done better maybe, with shrinkwrap tube or stout rubber tubing.  This is satisfactorily, though.

While under the 'bike, and before the exhausts were fitted, I put tape on the swing arm bearing, to prevent stone damage and subsequent corrosion - a great idea by Max on this Forum.  Thanks Max!  

833262420ea8e91e607e840262719be5.jpg


The kit comes with a small 'adapter plate' that, when adjusted properly, keeps the sidestand from hitting the exhaust.  Neat!

df2af315c6d13e0e314b3ab541690757.jpg


The 'H'-section middle exhaust joiner was tightened (socket bolts and 10mm nuts) and the inner silencers fitted and bolted up.

a180dcd1515846d40635c90bb6a2f940.jpg


Leftside done...

bff1dea26c2b553ff0cab26d8ad675fc.jpg


The right side...

71e394f5a71cd302cfe8c6989c7168be.jpg


And both sides!

c7be55748041ee4bd713a4c92c2fa21d.jpg


That's enough for today.  Tidying up tomorrow; finishing off small bits I've left, checking tightness of all fasteners I may have touche and so on.  And then... starting on the tank (fitting fuel pump and filler cap, etc).
Thanks for the kind comments, guys - they're all appreciated. :thumbsup:

Yup, GO... I envy the guys that live in a climate where the dreaded "rust" isn't an issue! ;)
^^These two^^ pics I like the most :thumbsup::thumbsup:
 
Bazbro_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
You're a big tease Bazbro. When are we going to see the money shot???!!! That front end looks fantastic
The tank needs assembling first! The tank cap comes as a separate item and the fuel pump has to be removed from the old tank and fitted to the new one. Then ... fitted to the 'bike!

So, soon, Tommy... soon! ;)

073119def6e6ed43b3de20dec21b3e59.jpg
The tank needs assembling first! The tank cap comes as a separate item and the fuel pump has to be removed from the old tank and fitted to the new one. Then ... fitted to the 'bike!

So, soon, Tommy... soon! ;)

fc2d6f08f36cbcbe41408d385d2435c7.jpg

I kinda like this intermediate shot.

There is some sort of soul there - hard to see, but it can be felt. Savor this moment.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
The final fit of the modified CB750 front mudguard...

The excess of the brackets were cut off, buffed and shaped.  I decided to paint the brackets because of this scarring of the chrome.  But... silver or black paint??

The first coat of red oxide primer, ensuring that it gets into all the nooks and crannies where the brackets attach to the mudguard and where rust would otherwise form...

1397a3dcfebd77cec5625066b9096328.jpg


c7e3209be9bec1b98968ab71fb7933ac.jpg


I decided,  while I was about it, to paint all the seams round the edge, underneath the m/guard, to properly rust proof it.  By not bothering to mask all of the underside, overspray will get all over the underneath of the m/guard, but I'm not worried about appearance - it's those cracks and seams where rust starts, that I need to cover and protect with paint.

600ddb54e2465173f2aec095c9c84b28.jpg


Don't forget the cable guide that was cut off the strut... that needs the red oxide rust preventer, followed by a topcoat too.

f110f41acedab64c6a2cfe0cbab4683d.jpg


Silver it is!  I have some 'Truck Bed Liner' spray, but that's a bit over-the-top, I think.  So a couple of passes of spray silver it is, maybe followed by a couple of coats of clear matte lacquer to make the brackets look nice.

0a86b72f9208a49abcd15e64c2bd7ab5.jpg


The finished job...

add17b7fd06ab88ab739fcd3811d1387.jpg
wow! nice work Bazbro!
 
Thread starter
.
TIME TO FIT "THE TANK"...

ddde34249c942c501623f7cdb2fe84ca.jpg


:D :D :D :celebrate:
Thanks guys.

Great pic, Vic! I shall keep that.

Have you noticed how Honda cleverly curved the CB 750 silencers INWARDS at the ends, preventing the "sticking out" appearance of the Wyverns? The CB750 looks much better from the rear than the Wyverns. But I'm not complaining! :)
 
Also, apparently the CB750 did not have a throttle. It had a “gas handle” :D
 
Bazbro_imp said:
.
TIME TO FIT "THE TANK"...

ddde34249c942c501623f7cdb2fe84ca.jpg


:D :D :D :celebrate:
Thanks guys.

Great pic, Vic! I shall keep that.

Have you noticed how Honda cleverly curved the CB 750 silencers INWARDS at the ends, preventing the "sticking out" appearance of the Wyverns? The CB750 looks much better from the rear than the Wyverns. But I'm not complaining! :)
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Fitting the new 'Whitehouse' tank.

The Whitehouse kit (tank, side panels and headlamp 'ears') came beautifully packed in a stout box. 

b2b1c35e062f9e0f33ea5f1a2f6952e3.jpg


The tank has the option of coming with a standard, 'original pattern' fuel cap, a modern fuel cap or a CB750 lookalike cap, the last two are at extra charge.  I chose the early pattern cap which is effectively 'free' (no extra charge).
So this is the first job - fit the fuel cap.  It's quite straightforward... follow the photos.

8ca8d71d86d025dbdaa391468cd4fe6a.jpg


035ee2afc0015ac4ec4e4dbc5438f876.jpg


32ccaca743f3b78c12e116b3963f8cbf.jpg


Turn the tank over, in order to fit the fuel pump.

f6995f8b80fbefe6ea013715bde2c1ea.jpg


First, remove the pump from the old tank.

8bfa27ded52c2b8cc6c21edb1d27c7d2.jpg


CAREFULLY withdraw the pump, taking extra care not to...

d6a58d5407db0d016e098d5a95eabdbc.jpg


...not to bend the level sensor float.

f316727c584bb1b7fb39a8fd60a27ae9.jpg


The instructions emphasise that you must insert the float right over to the right hand side of the aperture as you look down upon it, to ensure that it sits in the right position to be able to move.  Before you tighten anything, pick up the tank and shake it - you should clearly hear the float rattling inside.  If it doesn’t rattle,  take it out and try again until it does.  Then secure the six 10mm nuts.  I treated this like cylinder head bolts, going to opposite sides to avoid having uneven pull resulting in a leak.  This may not be necessary, but it's 'good practice' if you have a large number of fixings round an edge.

61e18b22b3c0ecbd84ec9058e2f2b509.jpg


Before flipping the tank over, put a tiny drop of engine oil on the three spigots on the bottom of the tank - the fuel outlet, the tank breather and the tank overflow.
Flip the tank over, engage the curved brackets at the front of the tank, onto the rubber dampers on the frame, and wiggle the tank forwards until the hole at the back of the tank matches the corresponding thread in the frame.
Now hold the back of the tank up with a small piece of wood.

8591687be0d672bb545dcfade9438bf0.jpg


This is very tight but can be achieved with care...  First, push the 'special connector' onto the metal fuel outlet spigot.  Honda recommend fitting new parts to this - take advice from your dealer - different connectors were used for different years of production. Slide it on firmly until you hear a positive 'click'.
Then push on the two rubber pipes.  (Arrowed)

50b86ccc0d630e064d47daed04a1332a.jpg


Fit the rubber vibration damper to the back of the tank and bolt down (12mm bolt and spacer) to the frame.

cbf26606efc46ad183b15e485e583179.jpg


Finally, locate the socket and plug in the fuel pump connector.

4ff20d1c97ba7e6e900fd7fc28968cef.jpg


The last job is to fit the side.panels, step back and admire...

(Photos tomorrow, when I can get the finished 'bike out into daylight - I hope it's sunny.)
 
Home stretch now! As you note, it's a tight squeeze working with the fuel line connector. Much easier to install than to remove though.

Can't wait to see the final result. The neat thing you will find with the fuel float is that it feels like you are getting the first 50 miles for free. You will read full on your fuel gauge until you have consumed the first gallon or so.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Interesting, Tommy. I've not had a m/c with "modern electronics" before, so a whole new experience for me. The "seaside illuminations" when I switch on the ignition is a revelation... and the rev counter reading maximum revs and the engine not even running! Bizarre! :-/
 
Thread starter
From this, sad, dejected, damaged, unloved...

e54538a79e2415e4406037877e40af56.jpg


To this... Cinderella, resplendent and ready to go to the Ball...!

3a699bafd880690885fdba55cdfafeac.jpg


22b3ce150443cc6b1af48679c153eae6.jpg


008e6eff8ba5f14c3993052db8445ac5.jpg


2d1ba407bb0ff11a48ca91c84a00dbf6.jpg


5621b63a1277810d63b1741ee7d19672.jpg


dd5b607ba9379966149f8ab27ffdb025.jpg


2fef3e83ff4fe988be5475421e46115d.jpg


c74b1d0f8ab95ac1bb2e15ef8d21c8d4.jpg


eaeb3548a02d467a086e3dc228ef9688.jpg


Just a shame it wasn't a nice, sunny day. Later... ;)

I'm away until next week, but then it will be taxed, insured and filled with fuel... :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top