Whitehouse K17 mods...

Thanks Bazbro, crying shame about the weather, it can make or break an event. The 2-stroke Suzuki's get my vote, I had a T500 and X7, always wanted a Kettle. Was that GX250 the first 4-Stroke 250 Suzuki made to replace the 2-Stroke X7, very similarly styled too?
 
That's funny about the 3D modelling, I did wonder whether technology could find its way into a sheet metal shop in an Indian back street. I still think the best plan would be to buy an inexpensive damaged fuel tank and send it to him to remodel.

That said, you don't actually need a 3D scanner, you can produce a very accurate model with a camera using Photogrammetry. Just do a Google search, lots of information out there. An exhaust manufacturer we know uses this technique with very good results to design systems for our custom Porsche 911 projects - the only downside is that we have to take 500-1000 photos at multiple angles in order for his software to achieve the resolution required.


Nice to see that you're getting out and about though. Nice photos.
The show would be a bit far for me to ride from Warrington, especially in a thunder storm...
 
I made this 3D image of my Tiger 1200 with 150 digital photographs and a $15 online service who stitch them together for you. It is not perfect but it would be hopeless on the CB1100EX, the chrome will create too much light reflection and distort the image. It was only out of curiosity and cheaper than buying the 3D stitching software for a one off job. A tank would be easy to do but it is an image rather than an Engineering file that could be used to make a decent copy.

 
Thread starter
Not sure about the Suzuki, Tev. I know I was miffed in 1966 when they brought out the six-speed, lighter and faster than my Yam, 'Super Six'! But I loved my GT750 - I took it to the South Of France in '76, the hottest summer on record, wearing full one-piece leathers... :-/

I, too, was a bit unsure.of the 3-D modelling suggestion, NM, but, hey, the Indian guy said it would be good!! This 3-D modelling world is just overwhelming for me, brought up as I was with Box Brownie technology... (look it up!). :D

That's amazing, Tev... having a 3-D model of your own 'bike! :clap:
 
Thread starter
Right... into the final furlong, at last!

I have, just this week, ordered Whitehouse's turquoise K10/K17 tank/sidepanels/headlight brackets, plus Wyvern's 4-into-4 exhausts/silencers for the poor CB1100 that has been languishing in my garage since 2019!

The Wyverns will take a bit over a month to arrive (just after Christmas, I'm guessing, because of Christmas) while the tank and bits could be up to 3 months(!) because they're made to order.

I'm now busy sorting out my tiny garage in preparation, to build one CB1100 while storing the 250 Yamaha & BSA. It'll be cosy, that's for sure!

Updates as and when... watch this space. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Well, it's not looking quite so good now...

The Wyverns are on order and should be here in a month. :thumbsup:

But the Whitehouse body bits, however... This is what Takashi at Samurider says...
"For the wait time, Whitehouse said their factory (the same factory Honda uses) lacks the material (steel) , so they still don't know when the material arrives.. I think it is happening globally.. " :-/

It's no comfort to me that this is "happening globally".

Meanwhile, he has my (sizeable) deposit and the prospect of me getting the 'bike finished by next Spring is now looking uncertain... :(
 
Bazbro, I’m pumped for your bike’s transformation and looking forward to the pics! Did you end up buying the signal light kits for front or rear? I’m hoping to do similar work this spring and wasn’t sure if the front fork ears required the front K10 signals as well - my preference is to avoid ordering them if I can as it’s already a fairly expensive kit. I hope you don’t have egregious delays associated with ongoing supply chain woes and will watch for updates.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
run-tmc_imp said:
Bazbro, I’m pumped for your bike’s transformation and looking forward to the pics! Did you end up buying the signal light kits for front or rear? I’m hoping to do similar work this spring and wasn’t sure if the front fork ears required the front K10 signals as well - my preference is to avoid ordering them if I can as it’s already a fairly expensive kit. I hope you don’t have egregious delays associated with ongoing supply chain woes and will watch for updates.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I didn't order the indicators (signal lights). I feel that they are so similar to the originals as to be unnoticeble. Fitting the standard indicators 'might' prove problematic, though - I'm not sure, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. So I may yet still have to buy the replica indicators. We'll see.

I've ordered the headlight 'ears' without the 'US spec' round orange reflectors - we didn't have those in the UK back in the day. But it leaves two small holes, unfortunately. Still, anything's better than those horrid reflectors - I hate them!

For the same reason, I didn't buy the front mudguard (fender) from Samurider. The originals/replicas from David Silver can fit, with the aid of a self-made bracket (plans for which were VERY kindly supplied to me by Ninemeister - thanks again, mate! :clap: ).

And again, I didn't buy the painted headlight bucket - our chrome one is quite acceptable.

All will be reavealed (hopefully) in a month or two, when the bits start arriving and I can get started. Photos will be shared... ;)
run-tmc_imp said:
Bazbro, I’m pumped for your bike’s transformation and looking forward to the pics! Did you end up buying the signal light kits for front or rear? I’m hoping to do similar work this spring and wasn’t sure if the front fork ears required the front K10 signals as well - my preference is to avoid ordering them if I can as it’s already a fairly expensive kit. I hope you don’t have egregious delays associated with ongoing supply chain woes and will watch for updates.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If my experience is anything to go by, you MUST order the kit NOW, in order to stand any chance of receiving it by Spring.
 
Thanks Barry for your tip about ordering the parts now , is your credit card still on file with them for us poor Americans to use ?
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Thanks Barry for your tip about ordering the parts now , is your credit card still on file with them for us poor Americans to use ?
Abso-bloomin'-lutely (as some of us say in England!)
Fill yer boots ("Help yourself", as some more of us say!)

And if you can sqeeze any more out of it, I'll have half! :D
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman: Be sure to send Bazbro some flowers and a cold six pack - tip the delivery service person too. :P
I like it, GO!! You have good ideas. :thumbsup:

Er... waitaminute... on MY credit card?? :dodgy:

Mmmm... "Whitehouse/Wyvern Agent for the UK..." Yes, I like the sound of that... Or rather the sound of the cash register! :D
 
Great news Barry! It's going to be awesome and the long wait for delivery will be long forgotten when you see the assembled K17. Great colour choice too,

The headlight bowl is the original, so if you take it off the bike you can easily have it painted to match as I did. The headlight ears are easy enough to fit but you will have to cut two lugs off the originals which sit behind them out of sight.

Mudguard you have covered, most replica chrome 750 parts should be close. The rear light unit is a replica CB750 unit, again easy to source, as would be replica 750 indicators. You have plenty of time to do your research and source the right bits, but don't forget that if you need detail photos of my parts just ask.
 
Thread starter
Many thanks for all that, Nine - very encouraging, thanks.

Yes, I'm getting quite excited now. Well, as excited as an Englishman can get... I actually raised an eyebrow at one point! Yes, as excited as that!

I'm still a bit worried about the "three month delay" because of steel shortage. But nothing I can do about it.

Thanks once again for this and all your past invaluable help. You're a gentleman. And that first pint is on me when we get to meet up (next summer? Fingers crossed...)
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks for all that, Nine - very encouraging, thanks.

Yes, I'm getting quite excited now. Well, as excited as an Englishman can get... I actually raised an eyebrow at one point! Yes, as excited as that!

I'm still a bit worried about the "three month delay" because of steel shortage. But nothing I can do about it.

Thanks once again for this and all your past invaluable help. You're a gentleman. And that first pint is on me when we get to meet up (next summer? Fingers crossed...)
Kinda like this?

 
I watch a lot of old westerns. It's funny to see a round eared Spock as a bad guy in old Gunsmoke's.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks for all that, Nine - very encouraging, thanks.

Yes, I'm getting quite excited now. Well, as excited as an Englishman can get... I actually raised an eyebrow at one point! Yes, as excited as that!

I'm still a bit worried about the "three month delay" because of steel shortage. But nothing I can do about it.

Thanks once again for this and all your past invaluable help. You're a gentleman. And that first pint is on me when we get to meet up (next summer? Fingers crossed...)
Kinda like this?
Kinda like this?
Yes! Very nearly as excited as Spock!
 
Bazbro_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Many thanks for all that, Nine - very encouraging, thanks.

Yes, I'm getting quite excited now. Well, as excited as an Englishman can get... I actually raised an eyebrow at one point! Yes, as excited as that!

I'm still a bit worried about the "three month delay" because of steel shortage. But nothing I can do about it.

Thanks once again for this and all your past invaluable help. You're a gentleman. And that first pint is on me when we get to meet up (next summer? Fingers crossed...)
Kinda like this?
Kinda like this?
Yes! Very nearly as excited as Spock!
...but he has pointed ears like a Dobermann :)
 
Back
Top