Whitehouse K17 mods...

Bazbro, before I could participate in the side cover project, I would like to know a few things:;
* estimated cost for a set .. or it's only for the R side??
* fitment: my '14 and your '17 might be of some differences...metal or plastic...
It might be more expensive to make a unique set for each individual vs the same series of a few identical sets.....???
Let me know your thinking, before something constructive can be achieved, please.
TY
 
The White House side panels seem to be made from pressed steel which is then hand finished prior to painting, likely with a fair coating of filler/primer given the feel of the panel.

Hand making a similar pair out of steel is not out of the question, then shaped using body filler to achieve the desired shape before taking taking moulds from the finished parts. From the moulds you can then make production panels in GRP or Carbon.

The corner brackets could be replicated to copy the mounting points of the original side panels.
 
Thread starter
No probs , Peter.

The side covers are made of a thick, resilient, but easily cut-able/shape-able plastic/resin. I'm using a junior hacksaw and coarse file to shape mine. All I'm doing at the moment is removing the 'extra' that interferes with the 'bike's frame. It will be quite straightforward to 'build up' any edges the need more material , using fibreglass and resin. So... they're individually shape-able.

The covers cost about £34 each from David Silver (about $40? So about $80 the pair) whereas the Whitehouse ones from Samurider are... £400 ($450?) a pair, unfinished!! To be fair, the Whitehouse ones fit perfectly whereas these DS ones need to be shaped.

These won't be painted until I get the tank made, but when it's all back together I'll take pics and include details how everyone can refurb their old CB1100s a la CB750 K2

Hope that helps.
 
Thread starter
L
Ninemeister_imp said:
The White House side panels seem to be made from pressed steel which is then hand finished prior to painting, likely with a fair coating of filler/primer given the feel of the panel.

Hand making a similar pair out of steel is not out of the question, then shaped using body filler to achieve the desired shape before taking taking moulds from the finished parts. From the moulds you can then make production panels in GRP or Carbon.

The corner brackets could be replicated to copy the mounting points of the original side panels.
Thanks, Nine. We replied at almost exactly the same time!

That's the big difference, I think. The Whitehouse parts are top quality, but you pay the price. The David Silver parts are quite acceptable and much, much cheaper - in the case of the sidepanels, about five times cheaper! The David Silver ones are replicas of the original CB750's, intended to replace originals in a rebuild. The Whitehouse ones are, as Ninemeister says, metal, are CB750 'Style' and intended solely for the CB1100. You pays yer money and takes yer choice!

But the BIG money saver will be the tank when it becomes available.

Who on here is interested in converting their CB1100 to a lookalike-CB750 K2 of the '70s??

fc9481e67cccbaf61e6bd7bac135e099.jpg
 
Bazbro_imp said:
L
Ninemeister_imp said:
The White House side panels seem to be made from pressed steel which is then hand finished prior to painting, likely with a fair coating of filler/primer given the feel of the panel.

Hand making a similar pair out of steel is not out of the question, then shaped using body filler to achieve the desired shape before taking taking moulds from the finished parts. From the moulds you can then make production panels in GRP or Carbon.

The corner brackets could be replicated to copy the mounting points of the original side panels.
Thanks, Nine. We replied at almost exactly the same time!

That's the big difference, I think. The Whitehouse parts are top quality, but you pay the price. The David Silver parts are quite acceptable and much, much cheaper - in the case of the sidepanels, about five times cheaper! The David Silver ones are replicas of the original CB750's, intended to replace originals in a rebuild. The Whitehouse ones are, as Ninemeister says, metal, are CB750 'Style' and intended solely for the CB1100. You pays yer money and takes yer choice!

But the BIG money saver will be the tank when it becomes available.

Who on here is interested in converting their CB1100 to a lookalike-CB750 K2 of the '70s??

fc9481e67cccbaf61e6bd7bac135e099.jpg
Thanks, Nine. We replied at almost exactly the same time!

That's the big difference, I think. The Whitehouse parts are top quality, but you pay the price. The David Silver parts are quite acceptable and much, much cheaper - in the case of the sidepanels, about five times cheaper! The David Silver ones are replicas of the original CB750's, intended to replace originals in a rebuild. The Whitehouse ones are, as Ninemeister says, metal, are CB750 'Style' and intended solely for the CB1100. You pays yer money and takes yer choice!

But the BIG money saver will be the tank when it becomes available.

Who on here is interested in converting their CB1100 to a lookalike-CB750 K2 of the '70s??

fe51e9012cad98c4bf77e60d2b85fd85.jpg
I am interested in the K10 kit for my 13, but the price is holding me back.
Would love to know more about the less expensive alternative...
 
Thread starter
I've hit an impasse...

After supplying the tank-maker with dimensions and photos, actually sending my tank is proving problematic. Firstly, the cost of posting the tank is almost prohibitive, but the real killer is insurance should the tank get damaged or 'lost'. The tank costs about £2,500 (nearly $3,00) to replace and insurance to reflect that, plus the courier charge equals "no-go".

Back to square one.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
So Barry , you tanked that idea ?
;) Very good!! But the idea needed no help from me... it tanked itself! :D

I'm still in contact with the manufacturer so we may be able to work something out.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
So Barry , you tanked that idea ?
;) Very good!! But the idea needed no help from me... it tanked itself! :D

I'm still in contact with the manufacturer so we may be able to work something out.
;) Very good!! But the idea needed no help from me... it tanked itself! :D

I'm still in contact with the manufacturer so we may be able to work something out.
Ask the tank guy if he could work from a 3D CAD model? The photo below looks like an aluminium intake manifold, but is actually a 3D render from a CAD model.

Having the original tank or my White House tank 3D scanned is not that difficult or expensive and will cost nothing to "post" the model across continents. It all comes down to whether the guy has the facility (or someone nearby) to transfer the 3D model into a solid model from which he could work from.
Bazbro_imp said:
I've hit an impasse...

After supplying the tank-maker with dimensions and photos, actually sending my tank is proving problematic. Firstly, the cost of posting the tank is almost prohibitive, but the real killer is insurance should the tank get damaged or 'lost'. The tank costs about £2,500 (nearly $3,00) to replace and insurance to reflect that, plus the courier charge equals "no-go".

Back to square one.
You should only insure it for £500 as this is more than the cost of a replacement used tank from most vendors on eBay.
There are a few for sale stateside for $300-$350 or so which when landed would not cost more than £500 all in (shipping + VAT).
 
Thread starter
Ninemeister_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
So Barry , you tanked that idea ?
;) Very good!! But the idea needed no help from me... it tanked itself! :D

I'm still in contact with the manufacturer so we may be able to work something out.
;) Very good!! But the idea needed no help from me... it tanked itself! :D

I'm still in contact with the manufacturer so we may be able to work something out.
Ask the tank guy if he could work from a 3D CAD model? The photo below looks like an aluminium intake manifold, but is actually a 3D render from a CAD model.

Having the original tank or my White House tank 3D scanned is not that difficult or expensive and will cost nothing to "post" the model across continents. It all comes down to whether the guy has the facility (or someone nearby) to transfer the 3D model into a solid model from which he could work from.
Bazbro_imp said:
I've hit an impasse...

After supplying the tank-maker with dimensions and photos, actually sending my tank is proving problematic. Firstly, the cost of posting the tank is almost prohibitive, but the real killer is insurance should the tank get damaged or 'lost'. The tank costs about £2,500 (nearly $3,00) to replace and insurance to reflect that, plus the courier charge equals "no-go".

Back to square one.
You should only insure it for £500 as this is more than the cost of a replacement used tank from most vendors on eBay.
There are a few for sale stateside for $300-$350 or so which when landed would not cost more than £500 all in (shipping + VAT).
;) Very good!! But the idea needed no help from me... it tanked itself! :D

I'm still in contact with the manufacturer so we may be able to work something out.
Ask the tank guy if he could work from a 3D CAD model? The photo below looks like an aluminium intake manifold, but is actually a 3D render from a CAD model.

Having the original tank or my White House tank 3D scanned is not that difficult or expensive and will cost nothing to "post" the model across continents. It all comes down to whether the guy has the facility (or someone nearby) to transfer the 3D model into a solid model from which he could work from.
Bazbro_imp said:
I've hit an impasse...

After supplying the tank-maker with dimensions and photos, actually sending my tank is proving problematic. Firstly, the cost of posting the tank is almost prohibitive, but the real killer is insurance should the tank get damaged or 'lost'. The tank costs about £2,500 (nearly $3,00) to replace and insurance to reflect that, plus the courier charge equals "no-go".

Back to square one.
You should only insure it for £500 as this is more than the cost of a replacement used tank from most vendors on eBay.
There are a few for sale stateside for $300-$350 or so which when landed would not cost more than £500 all in (shipping + VAT).
That's extremely kind of you, Nine. I'll ask him and see what he says
.
Whilst second-hand tanks seem to go from between £300-500, there is also the fuel pump (horrendously-priced!) and the fuel cap assembly. So yes, I could insure with the anticipation of buying second-hand parts, of dubious provenance and condition. But considering that the parts are currently virtually brand new and almost unused, I'm a little chary about stuffing myself should the parts get lost. And before you ask, he needs the fuel pump to check for clearances within the tank. We could take a chance that there would be sufficient clearance, but... Sod's Law it might not!

Have you managed to get out on the mighty 'K10/1100' recently? I managed a nice outing on my little Yamaha recently.... and it rained on the way back!

Thanks again for the 3D Modelling suggestion.
 
Thread starter
I was sure I posted the story here, NeinM? It's hilarious (sort of)...

I asked the guy if he could work from a "3D model" that I could send (electronically of course, but I forgot to actually mention that) and his reply was positive. So I then tried to find where to get the 3D modelling done and drew a blank. I remembered that on Edd China's YouTube series (excellent, if you've not seen it?) he extolled the virtues of a particular handheld 3D scanner. I contacted the manufacturer who were VERY enthusiastic of my little project and supplied me the name and contact of a Midlands engineering company. (Still with me?!).

I had some good conversation with the iengineering contact, who was also encouragingly enthusiastic, but before I took it further, armed with the technical details from the engineering guy, I again contacted matey in India, asking him how he wanted the 3D measurements presented, what program he would use, etc. The response was... er... disappointing in the extreme, but bloody hilarious! He said that he thought I was going to send him a physical, actual 3D model and No, he couldn't deal with computery stuff - his guys are strictly 'hands on' craftsmen!! The engineering guy thought it hilarious, despite the waste of his time. He's probably still telling the story down the pub!

Anyhows... it was back to square one, or rather, back to the stoneage. What I have arranged with the Indian guy is that I send him a papier mâché mould of the base of the tank and his guys will work from that.

I'm currently building a small motorhome, so all this is on the backburner at the mo, while I get "important stuff" done. I'll get round to it eventually...

By the way, I'm off to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club rally at Kettering Rugby Club, on my '65 Yamaha, next Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Are you going? An opportunity for me to buy you that pint I owe you! :beerchug:
 
Barry , thank you for the update about your project , seems a lot of hassle !
We again had to cancel out trip to England in September this year because of all the uncertainty about traveling to the UK. Will now go in May/June 2022. Also my trip to Holland this year is very uncertain , all very disappointing BUT we are healthy and vaccinated .
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Barry , thank you for the update about your project , seems a lot of hassle !
We again had to cancel out trip to England in September this year because of all the uncertainty about traveling to the UK. Will now go in May/June 2022. Also my trip to Holland this year is very uncertain , all very disappointing BUT we are healthy and vaccinated .
True, but I don't have the money for the proper tank and 4-into-4 pipes... so this is the cheapo route! :(

Yes, a shame about your trips, John - Covid has really ruined things for people, quite apart from the deaths. Dreadful. Poor Maggie hasn't seen her elderly Mum (in Annecy, France) for over two years now, the longest she's ever gone without seeing her. As her Mum's mid-90s, time is running out.

But here's looking forward to May/June next year. :D
 
Bazbro_imp said:
I was sure I posted the story here, NeinM? It's hilarious (sort of)...

I asked the guy if he could work from a "3D model" that I could send (electronically of course, but I forgot to actually mention that) and his reply was positive. So I then tried to find where to get the 3D modelling done and drew a blank. I remembered that on Edd China's YouTube series (excellent, if you've not seen it?) he extolled the virtues of a particular handheld 3D scanner. I contacted the manufacturer who were VERY enthusiastic of my little project and supplied me the name and contact of a Midlands engineering company. (Still with me?!).

I had some good conversation with the iengineering contact, who was also encouragingly enthusiastic, but before I took it further, armed with the technical details from the engineering guy, I again contacted matey in India, asking him how he wanted the 3D measurements presented, what program he would use, etc. The response was... er... disappointing in the extreme, but bloody hilarious! He said that he thought I was going to send him a physical, actual 3D model and No, he couldn't deal with computery stuff - his guys are strictly 'hands on' craftsmen!! The engineering guy thought it hilarious, despite the waste of his time. He's probably still telling the story down the pub!

Anyhows... it was back to square one, or rather, back to the stoneage. What I have arranged with the Indian guy is that I send him a papier mâché mould of the base of the tank and his guys will work from that.

I'm currently building a small motorhome, so all this is on the backburner at the mo, while I get "important stuff" done. I'll get round to it eventually...

By the way, I'm off to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club rally at Kettering Rugby Club, on my '65 Yamaha, next Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Are you going? An opportunity for me to buy you that pint I owe you! :beerchug:
Bung some pictures up of anything interesting Bazbro. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
I was sure I posted the story here, NeinM? It's hilarious (sort of)...

I asked the guy if he could work from a "3D model" that I could send (electronically of course, but I forgot to actually mention that) and his reply was positive. So I then tried to find where to get the 3D modelling done and drew a blank. I remembered that on Edd China's YouTube series (excellent, if you've not seen it?) he extolled the virtues of a particular handheld 3D scanner. I contacted the manufacturer who were VERY enthusiastic of my little project and supplied me the name and contact of a Midlands engineering company. (Still with me?!).

I had some good conversation with the iengineering contact, who was also encouragingly enthusiastic, but before I took it further, armed with the technical details from the engineering guy, I again contacted matey in India, asking him how he wanted the 3D measurements presented, what program he would use, etc. The response was... er... disappointing in the extreme, but bloody hilarious! He said that he thought I was going to send him a physical, actual 3D model and No, he couldn't deal with computery stuff - his guys are strictly 'hands on' craftsmen!! The engineering guy thought it hilarious, despite the waste of his time. He's probably still telling the story down the pub!

Anyhows... it was back to square one, or rather, back to the stoneage. What I have arranged with the Indian guy is that I send him a papier mâché mould of the base of the tank and his guys will work from that.

I'm currently building a small motorhome, so all this is on the backburner at the mo, while I get "important stuff" done. I'll get round to it eventually...

By the way, I'm off to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club rally at Kettering Rugby Club, on my '65 Yamaha, next Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Are you going? An opportunity for me to buy you that pint I owe you! :beerchug:
Bung some pictures up of anything interesting Bazbro. :thumbsup:
Bung some pictures up of anything interesting Bazbro. :thumbsup:
Yes, will do. ;)
 
Thread starter
Here ya go, Tev62...! :shy:

The VJMC Rally/AGM at Kettering, England, UK.

This is only a general 'feel' of the rally and by no means a full report.  187 members were booked, but only a fraction of those made it - the exceptionally atrocious weather ruined the entire weekend.  I know it rains here in the UK - that's how we know it's  summer!  But this really was exceptional.  Massive thunderstorms randomly appearing everywhere.  Some hardy souls tent-camped, but most were in caravans or motorhomes (RVs).   This 'hardy soul' stayed in a nearby motel - at 75 years of age, my tent-camping days are well-and-truly over!

Anyway, here is just a small selection of 'bikes that caught my eye...

bde7168edb70184b84b429dbc757bdf8.jpg


4ae872d019371f103683d81129ac492a.jpg


439ca4886a6f332944a727c245b375a7.jpg


1d09bf49c9e9742719d7cafdcbe4e0cf.jpg


A beautifully restored Honda CB450 'Black Bomber' from 1966. One of these would have been my next 'bike, had I not got married...

8321baf05025c9773e247fe68871c50d.jpg


40eec1823d257e40dd7a4d1bcce4ac86.jpg


67d3f3603cede307f29b5669addb7a79.jpg


40c006dc5d2b4670bc378c6a8bf0e85f.jpg


Suzuki GT750 - One of the nicest 'bikes to ride that I owned, with an engine as smooth as an electric motor (when all three carbs properly balanced!)...

707e9b8d23b668037683b8761f7eddc1.jpg


This guy preferred his 250 Yam to this 400 that he bought to replace it...

This fella has owned this Suzy for over 40 years!

7422e8720080b329383b1ec9df91cc6a.jpg


And finally, one guy had fitted a Yanmar DIESEL engine into an old Honda frame...! :D

88060c2fc563c84a16dce8fc7abb6651.jpg


FINALLY finally, here's my little Yamaha YDS3 from 1965, that did the 500 mile round trip faultlessly, despite 5 or 6 massive thunderstorms on the way home...

cd3ec7423ef60233b2cddd44cdcb538f.jpg
 
Great bikes. Thanks, Bazbro.
 
Back
Top