White House K10 - a story of regeneration

Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Nice.

That would be some wrist stretching company to keep up with.
Yeah, that V-max is a monster, in more ways than one. Was so happy to be running with half of its potential after seeing D taking roundabouts speedway style whilst struggling to harness the torque in the wet. Not for me, I know my limits!
PowerDubs_imp said:
Looks fantastic.

"Front end much improved with the SDBV forks, very noticeable even after 8 mile prior test ride."


Yes- I love them- and as soon as I put them on, it made the rear shocks feel worse to me as well!

Easily fixed with a set of Ikons.
I'm already running the Japan spec HyperPro shocks, so I do have pre-load and rebound settings to play with yet.
Worst case if I think the bump is too stiff I would give them a call in the Netherlands to see if they could possibly re-valve.
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
Thankfully the weather forecast for Sunday was better, so after a quick text-around last night tads agreed to have one last ride out before the winter arrives.

Set off at 11:00 and after a jaunt around the wet & leafy back lanes of Cheshire ended up down by the river in Chester for a coffee stop, S on his lovely Yamaha XJR1300 anniversary and D on his newly acquired (and insanely quick) Yamaha V-max. Had a very positive reaction from the boys, then had the same from another motorcyclist who singled me out to to discuss what he was looking at and thanked me for bringing it out before I left. :beerchug:

Dropped into local bike store J&S for another quick pit stop, then home for a wash n dry by 15:30 - around 120km all in which was enough for the post-build shake down.

The good:
Rides lovely. instantly felt at home like I had been riding it for years.
Front end much improved with the SDBV forks, very noticeable even after 8 mile prior test ride.
Engine like silk.
Clutch & gears perfect
Brakes lovely and progressive
Easy to maneuver at low speed
Confident grip feedback in the wet

The bad:
Rear a little stiff under bump, will look to reduce pre-load
Seat also stiff, might consider rebuild with gel insert
Speedo zero seemingly random, looks like I have a broken internal gear
Gear selector too low (easy one spline adjustment when home)
Clutch bite point quite late on lever
Noticeable "click" from chain for first few hundred yards

All in all, a successful outcome, with a little work to do over winter.
I see the Ice cream kiosk in the back , did you get a 99 Flake or were they closed for the season ?
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Thankfully the weather forecast for Sunday was better, so after a quick text-around last night tads agreed to have one last ride out before the winter arrives.

Set off at 11:00 and after a jaunt around the wet & leafy back lanes of Cheshire ended up down by the river in Chester for a coffee stop, S on his lovely Yamaha XJR1300 anniversary and D on his newly acquired (and insanely quick) Yamaha V-max. Had a very positive reaction from the boys, then had the same from another motorcyclist who singled me out to to discuss what he was looking at and thanked me for bringing it out before I left. :beerchug:

Dropped into local bike store J&S for another quick pit stop, then home for a wash n dry by 15:30 - around 120km all in which was enough for the post-build shake down.

The good:
Rides lovely. instantly felt at home like I had been riding it for years.
Front end much improved with the SDBV forks, very noticeable even after 8 mile prior test ride.
Engine like silk.
Clutch & gears perfect
Brakes lovely and progressive
Easy to maneuver at low speed
Confident grip feedback in the wet

The bad:
Rear a little stiff under bump, will look to reduce pre-load
Seat also stiff, might consider rebuild with gel insert
Speedo zero seemingly random, looks like I have a broken internal gear
Gear selector too low (easy one spline adjustment when home)
Clutch bite point quite late on lever
Noticeable "click" from chain for first few hundred yards

All in all, a successful outcome, with a little work to do over winter.
I see the Ice cream kiosk in the back , did you get a 99 Flake or were they closed for the season ?
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
 
It still looks lovely. What do you think causes the chain click?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It still looks lovely. What do you think causes the chain click?
It's a strange one, probably caused by a tight link, maybe the one I riveted?

I did note a "notch" after I fitted and riveted the chain but from what I recall it was not on the joint. The sprockets were fine, so I put it down to a slightly tight link and as a result made a point of spinning the rear wheel over quite a few times to check for it before taking the bike off the rear stand. Maybe that freed up the joint, as even with the chain set tight and slack, from that point neither setting replicated the noise so I thought all was fine.

The bike has stood still for a week or so since, hence I was quite surprised when the noise came back as I rode away on my street. If it had remained I would have u-turned, but by the time I got to the end of the street it had gone.

Another job for the winter list - I'll make a point to carefully inspect the chain again for any obvious wear on a link.
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Thankfully the weather forecast for Sunday was better, so after a quick text-around last night tads agreed to have one last ride out before the winter arrives.

Set off at 11:00 and after a jaunt around the wet & leafy back lanes of Cheshire ended up down by the river in Chester for a coffee stop, S on his lovely Yamaha XJR1300 anniversary and D on his newly acquired (and insanely quick) Yamaha V-max. Had a very positive reaction from the boys, then had the same from another motorcyclist who singled me out to to discuss what he was looking at and thanked me for bringing it out before I left. :beerchug:

Dropped into local bike store J&S for another quick pit stop, then home for a wash n dry by 15:30 - around 120km all in which was enough for the post-build shake down.

The good:
Rides lovely. instantly felt at home like I had been riding it for years.
Front end much improved with the SDBV forks, very noticeable even after 8 mile prior test ride.
Engine like silk.
Clutch & gears perfect
Brakes lovely and progressive
Easy to maneuver at low speed
Confident grip feedback in the wet

The bad:
Rear a little stiff under bump, will look to reduce pre-load
Seat also stiff, might consider rebuild with gel insert
Speedo zero seemingly random, looks like I have a broken internal gear
Gear selector too low (easy one spline adjustment when home)
Clutch bite point quite late on lever
Noticeable "click" from chain for first few hundred yards

All in all, a successful outcome, with a little work to do over winter.
I see the Ice cream kiosk in the back , did you get a 99 Flake or were they closed for the season ?
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Not sure. I do get a slight aneurysm behind my right eye, brain blank for about two seconds, suck up my pending drool at my right corner mouth, and then say, "Hey, um, no thanks".
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Thankfully the weather forecast for Sunday was better, so after a quick text-around last night tads agreed to have one last ride out before the winter arrives.

Set off at 11:00 and after a jaunt around the wet & leafy back lanes of Cheshire ended up down by the river in Chester for a coffee stop, S on his lovely Yamaha XJR1300 anniversary and D on his newly acquired (and insanely quick) Yamaha V-max. Had a very positive reaction from the boys, then had the same from another motorcyclist who singled me out to to discuss what he was looking at and thanked me for bringing it out before I left. :beerchug:

Dropped into local bike store J&S for another quick pit stop, then home for a wash n dry by 15:30 - around 120km all in which was enough for the post-build shake down.

The good:
Rides lovely. instantly felt at home like I had been riding it for years.
Front end much improved with the SDBV forks, very noticeable even after 8 mile prior test ride.
Engine like silk.
Clutch & gears perfect
Brakes lovely and progressive
Easy to maneuver at low speed
Confident grip feedback in the wet

The bad:
Rear a little stiff under bump, will look to reduce pre-load
Seat also stiff, might consider rebuild with gel insert
Speedo zero seemingly random, looks like I have a broken internal gear
Gear selector too low (easy one spline adjustment when home)
Clutch bite point quite late on lever
Noticeable "click" from chain for first few hundred yards

All in all, a successful outcome, with a little work to do over winter.
I see the Ice cream kiosk in the back , did you get a 99 Flake or were they closed for the season ?
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Not sure. I do get a slight aneurysm behind my right eye, brain blank for about two seconds, suck up my pending drool at my right corner mouth, and then say, "Hey, um, no thanks".
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Not sure. I do get a slight aneurysm behind my right eye, brain blank for about two seconds, suck up my pending drool at my right corner mouth, and then say, "Hey, um, no thanks".
I've now got to the stage that I always order a "Black Americano" and yet STILL I get asked if I want milk in it. My usual reply is something along the lines of "well that wouldn't be black then, would it?" to which the retort is "Oh, so is that a no?".

And there was me thinking I would become more forgiving as I got older.
 
It doesn't get any better as you get older, Nine.
I used to try and be diplomatic about things but as I've become older, I've become far less diplomatic. I just say it right out now, and if people don't like it... tough.
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
Thankfully the weather forecast for Sunday was better, so after a quick text-around last night tads agreed to have one last ride out before the winter arrives.

Set off at 11:00 and after a jaunt around the wet & leafy back lanes of Cheshire ended up down by the river in Chester for a coffee stop, S on his lovely Yamaha XJR1300 anniversary and D on his newly acquired (and insanely quick) Yamaha V-max. Had a very positive reaction from the boys, then had the same from another motorcyclist who singled me out to to discuss what he was looking at and thanked me for bringing it out before I left. :beerchug:

Dropped into local bike store J&S for another quick pit stop, then home for a wash n dry by 15:30 - around 120km all in which was enough for the post-build shake down.

The good:
Rides lovely. instantly felt at home like I had been riding it for years.
Front end much improved with the SDBV forks, very noticeable even after 8 mile prior test ride.
Engine like silk.
Clutch & gears perfect
Brakes lovely and progressive
Easy to maneuver at low speed
Confident grip feedback in the wet

The bad:
Rear a little stiff under bump, will look to reduce pre-load
Seat also stiff, might consider rebuild with gel insert
Speedo zero seemingly random, looks like I have a broken internal gear
Gear selector too low (easy one spline adjustment when home)
Clutch bite point quite late on lever
Noticeable "click" from chain for first few hundred yards

All in all, a successful outcome, with a little work to do over winter.
I see the Ice cream kiosk in the back , did you get a 99 Flake or were they closed for the season ?
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Not sure. I do get a slight aneurysm behind my right eye, brain blank for about two seconds, suck up my pending drool at my right corner mouth, and then say, "Hey, um, no thanks".
Too cold for a 99 Houtman, we went straight for the coffee stand to order a piping hot Americano.

(Pet Hate: Since everyone knows an Americano is a black double espresso with added hot water, am I the only one who hates being asked if I want milk in it??)
Not sure. I do get a slight aneurysm behind my right eye, brain blank for about two seconds, suck up my pending drool at my right corner mouth, and then say, "Hey, um, no thanks".
I've now got to the stage that I always order a "Black Americano" and yet STILL I get asked if I want milk in it. My usual reply is something along the lines of "well that wouldn't be black then, would it?" to which the retort is "Oh, so is that a no?".

And there was me thinking I would become more forgiving as I got older.
I've now got to the stage that I always order a "Black Americano" and yet STILL I get asked if I want milk in it. My usual reply is something along the lines of "well that wouldn't be black then, would it?" to which the retort is "Oh, so is that a no?".

And there was me thinking I would become more forgiving as I got older.
Yeah, I have responded in kind a few times like that, usually with a response of "black" - a single syllable word - is good enough.

Bazbro_imp said:
It doesn't get any better as you get older, Nine.
I used to try and be diplomatic about things but as I've become older, I've become far less diplomatic. I just say it right out now, and if people don't like it... tough.
It seems the more the new generations become "app-driven-thinkin'", the less they think.

(+1) Call it as it is. No point spending more emotional energy, if you don't wish to. Sure, eventually be called "that crotchety bast herd", but heck, I sleep at night - always. We just need to be FAIR and JUST in what we say.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
It doesn't get any better as you get older, Nine.
I used to try and be diplomatic about things but as I've become older, I've become far less diplomatic. I just say it right out now, and if people don't like it... tough.
Barry , That is exactly how I feel : say it like it is , with a smile in your voice you can say a lot of unpopular but truthful things.
 
heck I've never even heard of it, but then again I don't drink coffee. Couldn't even tell you what a cappuccino or latte is.
 
Thread starter
Tonight I found a little time to catch up on some of the left over jobs from the build, one of which was an air filter change. Due on no small part to the cost difference, I decided to use the HiFlow version which was half the price of the original Honda part. Now I know there are opinions on here to whether it is suitable, however on inspection I could tell no discernible difference between the parts so I'm happy to roll with it. The interesting observation is in the second photo, where the overhead light of my workbench clearly shines through the clean one and is blocked from the old.

Removal is simple enough:[ul] [li]remove seat[/li] [li]remove right side panel[/li] [li]push wiring out of the way[/li] [li]remove 3 screws[/li] [li]wiggle out air intake horn[/li] [li]pull out air filter
[/li][/ul]
Refitting the reverse of above.

Another one off the list was to fit a 60/55w H4 headlight lamp to replace the weedy 30/35w that was fitted when I got it. Whilst much brighter I might look at LED options some time later.
 
I'd be interested to know whether the HiFlo filter comes from the same factory as the Honda filter. The OEM and HiFlo oil filters look identical.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I'd be interested to know whether the HiFlo filter comes from the same factory as the Honda filter. The OEM and HiFlo oil filters look identical.
I showed the filter to my other half who is a sales manager for a wire mesh company. Her comment was that the mesh was the same specification but the Honda mesh had fewer flaws in the weave. What I noticed were the fractionally deeper end caps of the HiFlo filter compared to Honda, with a slightly inferior finish. I also think the holes in the perforated sleeve are slightly larger in the HiFlo as well. The number of pleats (and therefore filter area) is the same.

So I would say not, most likely made in a different factory, however I'm happy that they are functionally identical.
 
Thank you for that. I've used their oil filter a couple of times and it's been fine.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Thank you for that. I've used their oil filter a couple of times and it's been fine.
When I bought the CB, the dealer Motorcycle Giant did a pre-delivery service and used a HiFlo oil filter. I'm good with that and have bought another for the oil change service in the spring.


So the other job I decided to have a go at was a mock-up for a replacement grab rail. As arrived the K10 was fitted with a chrome rail on top of the alloy grabs (see photo on page 1 with white tank). Closer inspection showed that the two rear mounts had been cut off aid rail, rendering it pretty useless.

So tonight I removed the alloy castings & indicators to offer up the rail with a view to welding on new brackets. My idea is to maintain the horizontal design feature of the CB750 and have the forward section of the chrome rail parallel with the bottom edge of the tank. Luckily I had a bit of 25mm x 3mm stainless plate in my scrap bin, so in less than an hour I had removed the White House drop brackets, fashioned a couple of new rear mounts and screwed them on to sit under the rail (prior to welding).

What do we think?

Of course, the next job will be to make brackets for the rear indicators which I plan to make in steel, paint black and sit between the rear rail brackets and the frame mount (similar to CB750K0 part 33607-292-000B).
 
Very interesting, Nine. The rear end certainly needs "something".
Back in 1972 I fitted a nice rack to my K2, and as I've already said, the rear grab rail on my CB1100 was destroyed in the accident. I've ordered a Fehling rear rack, which is pretty close to the one I fitted in '72. It will give me a rack and a much-needed grab handle in one.
You've obviously suffered the lack of a grab handle, the same as me! They're a bu**er to get on the centre stand without a dedicated grip, aren't they? :D
 
Back
Top