which tires to go with?

kmoney_imp said:
DaSwami_imp said:
Are you guys changing out your own tires? Would love to order online but local dealers cop an attitude and charge way more for mounting and balance if you bring tires in rather than if you bought the tires "there".
I've never really got why dealers and brick and mortar stores don't just do free installation (or at least free installation if you bring them the wheel removed from the bike) as an enticement for you to buy tires from them. All the dealers around here charge the same $30 or so if even if you buy direct from them at a premium over online sites -- then they complain that no one supports their local motorcycle store.
Bent Bike in Seattle does this. You bring in the wheels loose and buy tires from them they provide free mounting and balancing.

Last time I went with an online order and installed the tires myself at a non-profit Washington State Motorcycle Association garage. They charged $20 each tire for you to use the NoMar tire changer and balance machines. They were also there to show you how to do it yourself and actually changed the first tire.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
You should definitely consider the 160/110 combo, as you'll find many more options available. I did exactly what Bob mentioned above, with the Angel GTs.

Haven't ridden on them yet, but gosh do they look cool...
What size rear tire? Fits on with no issues?
 
160/60R-18...fits with no issues. Several others have gone with this same size on the Michelin PR3, and others are available as well (Dunlop Roadsmart 2, Avon Storm 3D, etc).
 
The ferret_imp said:
Birds, that is an incredible price to mount tires. My dealer is double that (off the bike)

I just ordered tires from my local dealer. Could have bought them a little cheaper online. I took my online prices in and the Parts Manager and I negotiated. They couldn't match the online price, but they came close enough for me.
My tire service takes 33,-€ for each single tire change. All I do is to order the tire and bring him the bike. The rest is done by him.

Wisedrum
 
I like Bridgestone T-30 for the front, BT-54 on the rear. I usually shop around for price, had the best luck at Revzilla and Bike Bandit. Bike Bandit also gives an additional 10% off for AMA members. Shipping free at both.
 
I stopped at a local Honda dealer today for a quote to change the rear on my CB, using a tire I bought elsewhere. Wheel on the bike, not loose, so more labor required. $110! I nearly fell over.
 
That's crazy the other direction. Call some more places
 
Come on, fellas...there's supposed to be a special bond between a man and his motorcycle. Grab a few tools out of the shed and give it a try!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I stopped at a local Honda dealer today for a quote to change the rear on my CB, using a tire I bought elsewhere. Wheel on the bike, not loose, so more labor required. $110! I nearly fell over.
Yikes! The shop I used to go to charged $30 off bike and $60 on bike. The place I recently found (a motorcycle tire shop) is $20 off and $40 on.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Come on, fellas...there's supposed to be a special bond between a man and his motorcycle. Grab a few tools out of the shed and give it a try!
Ok hotshot, what tools are needed to change a tire? Balancing too?
 
Well, I broke the old beads with a c-clamp, and installed the new tires with a couple long chisels and some duct tape. True story, and it worked great. The two key aspects are leverage and protection, and that is all it is. Next time, I'll probably spend $30 bucks on real levers and some plastic protectors with the hub strings, but again, they're not a necessity.

As for balancing, my wheels didn't have weights from the factory, so I kept it that way. Lined up the red dots on the tires with the valves, and called it a day. Lead weights these days are in many cases overrated and unnecessary.
 
Thread starter
All depends on where you live. My area is one of the most expensive in the country for anything. Dealers charge about one hour labor with wheel still on bike. I can sucks up that fee once a year.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
LongRanger_imp said:
I stopped at a local Honda dealer today for a quote to change the rear on my CB, using a tire I bought elsewhere. Wheel on the bike, not loose, so more labor required. $110! I nearly fell over.
That's normal, one hour labor charge for dealer.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
If you can find a indy shop around then they will do it cheaper than the dealership but not many near me

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
Really, I was just curious about the dealer's price. I have no problem removing my own wheels but I do take them to a shop for tire mounting. $20 off the bike seems to be fairly common around here. I nearly fell over at the $110 quote because my BMW dealer charges $75 on the bike and I think that's expensive.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I stopped at a local Honda dealer today for a quote to change the rear on my CB, using a tire I bought elsewhere. Wheel on the bike, not loose, so more labor required. $110! I nearly fell over.

Sounds like he doesn't want your business. Move on down the road.
 
About a month ago I paid around $72-$76 to have a rear tire mounted that I bought off the Honda Dealer here locally.
 
Thread starter
110.00 is about the hourly rate they charge and that is for still on the bike. It should be half or less if you just bring the wheel in. If it's the same shop you bought the bike at they may work with you.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top