Tire Life Report - Metzeler Z8 Interact

Gus

First service completed
Thread starter
Greetings,

The CB is not my long-distance touring bike (although I have done some 500+ mile days on it), so long tire life is less of a concern for me than for others.

My OEM tires were Bridgestone BT-54. I got 6k miles on them and didn't have a lot of gripes, except for their performance on tar snakes, which resulted in some truly clenched moments, especially in their last thousand miles or so. I have experienced much worse with OEM tires out of the dealership.

My current Metzelers are at 7k miles and won't make it to 8k. I run them at F/36 and R/42. I measured the tread depth and was pleased to see that my front, at 90% worn, was the same from center to edge. I can certainly feel the rear tire getting flattish in the middle but there are no ill effects from it.

If you haven't seen them, Metzeler embosses a little elephant at the very edge of the tread. Try as I might, I have been unable to wear the heads of the elephants off.

My overall word for the Metzelers is "neutral." Once broken in (that didn't take long) they go, stop, and especially turn, in a very neutral way. They feel great with trail braking. Mid-lean performance in fast sweepers is outstanding and changing lines mid-corner is effortless. I think the sidewalls are a bit less stiff than the Bridgestones and that works with the CB's suspension, which can be harsh on sharp bumps.

Anyway, I would highly recommend the Metzeler Z8 Interact unless you are looking for 10k+ tire life. I am getting another set later this month.

Gus
 
Gus, thanks for your report and info. :thumbsup:

I am also looking for a replacement, most likely with Mez Z8.
 
The ONLY gripe I have with the CB1100 is the tire selection; not a lot of options out there in the stock sizes. The Metzeler Z8s come in the 110-80-18 and 140-70-18. I've had the Metzeler Z8 tires on my 2013 since late 2019. I like them and will probably replace with the same. A nice improvement over the Bridgestone BT54. Noticeably grippier, turn better, and feel a lot more confidence. Definitely better in the rain. I have about 5100 miles on the set. The front is wearing out mid way between the center and edge and might make it to 6000 mi. The rear is just starting to square off and could probably push it to 8000 mi. I got a little more mileage out of the Bridgestones but I like the Metzelers better.
 
I bought my CB with the Metzler Z8s. Not a fan

My biggest gripe is they cup VERY easily. I bought the bike with the front already cupped. I am trying to wear them out to maybe just upcup them or just kill them to buy new tires but they just cup more. Actually starting to get a wobble. And the air pressure is fine.
Maybe it's just my set. If that's the case my set are rubbish.

My next tire will be Michelin Pilot Roads. I would use them on my Triumphs. Great tire.
 
Good luck finding PRs that fit, Rox.
 
I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with my Pirelli Angel GT's in 120/160. They handle great, seem to be wearing well at 4000 miles +. Can't report on total longevity yet but I will. I don't find them as confidence inspiring in the wet as the Michelins PR3's, but not bad, but they stick great in the dry, transition easily side to side , hold a line etc. I would buy them again (depending on longevity results)
 
Thank you Gus! I like the stock size, so the 08's are going to be my next set (unless something else comes out in OE sizes).
 
I had the Metzeler Z8 on an Aprilia and they handled well, but I found they wore quickly to the fabric (rear wheel). The front tire may have cupped early too.
 
Ferret, in bad news from down under, I suspect the Angel GTs have gone the way of the PR3s. :(
 
Good night ... someone/something doesnt want me to ride lol
 
Pauley_imp said:
The ONLY gripe I have with the CB1100 is the tire selection; not a lot of options out there in the stock sizes. The Metzeler Z8s come in the 110-80-18 and 140-70-18. I've had the Metzeler Z8 tires on my 2013 since late 2019. I like them and will probably replace with the same. A nice improvement over the Bridgestone BT54. Noticeably grippier, turn better, and feel a lot more confidence. Definitely better in the rain. I have about 5100 miles on the set. The front is wearing out mid way between the center and edge and might make it to 6000 mi. The rear is just starting to square off and could probably push it to 8000 mi. I got a little more mileage out of the Bridgestones but I like the Metzelers better.
Pauley, have you had any issues with cupping?
 
It sounds strange to me that a lot of members only make 8-12 K miles on their tires.
I know, we all ride in different conditions....
On OEM Bridgestone Battlax B54, I made about 23K kms front, while rear still had plenty left.
My Austrian friend made about 20K kms with Metzler on his twin Kawi....says he did not like them, dunno why .
Waiting for my Metzler Z8/OEM size, 110 & 140.
Best tires I ever had were Michelin PR3.
If I ran PR3 to a wear buy indicator, I would estimate as follows; front up to 40 K kms, rear 55K kms... and for Dunlop RdSmart III/front slightly less.
 
Metzeler Z8 Interact came standard on a BMW F800GT I had. I did not like them. The first reason was that they would step out when crossing slickly painted lines on the road, even when dry. The second reason is that it's very difficult to monitor wear on the rear. There are some small, shallow sipes near the center that end up vanishing pretty early on, and from that point there's not much to indicate the degree of wear. The wear bars further down the sides are not useful since it's always the center that goes first. I was thinking the tires were fine and then suddenly I'm seeing white fabric. A buddy on an R1200RT had the same experience. I felt bad later because I gave him some grief about riding on the cords, and then I turned around and did the same thing.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Metzeler Z8 Interact came standard on a BMW F800GT I had. I did not like them. The first reason was that they would step out when crossing slickly painted lines on the road, even when dry. The second reason is that it's very difficult to monitor wear on the rear. There are some small, shallow sipes near the center that end up vanishing pretty early on, and from that point there's not much to indicate the degree of wear. The wear bars further down the sides are not useful since it's always the center that goes first. I was thinking the tires were fine and then suddenly I'm seeing white fabric. A buddy on an R1200RT had the same experience. I felt bad later because I gave him some grief about riding on the cords, and then I turned around and did the same thing.
lol - yeah, those white cords. It is like, " ... really? And I am so far from home. Ah well, gonna take it easy on the throttle."

¯\(°_o)/¯
 
Bought a set of Z-8s to replace the original tires on my 2013 when it gets here in a couple weeks. Original Dunlaps look fine, but I won't tempt fate. The Dunlaps have plenty of tread at 4600+ miles, so the Metz will likely out-last me. Thanks to all who contributed information to help me make my decision.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Metzeler Z8 Interact came standard on a BMW F800GT I had. I did not like them. The first reason was that they would step out when crossing slickly painted lines on the road, even when dry. The second reason is that it's very difficult to monitor wear on the rear. There are some small, shallow sipes near the center that end up vanishing pretty early on, and from that point there's not much to indicate the degree of wear. The wear bars further down the sides are not useful since it's always the center that goes first. I was thinking the tires were fine and then suddenly I'm seeing white fabric. A buddy on an R1200RT had the same experience. I felt bad later because I gave him some grief about riding on the cords, and then I turned around and did the same thing.
It seems that Z8's are currently in post-covid time the only tires one can get in our sizes (oversized in my case), mine should be here in a couple of days, but I'm curious Stichill - how many miles did you have on them when the cords started showing. I have 8000km on my Avons, and tbh they look pretty good with even wear, there is no squaring off nor chipping. I'm changing them because I noticed some small cracks on the sidewall, but I would normally get new rubber every year, and I don't really ride one bike for more than 15k/year, I only ever took out the soul of my Versys 650 and the second Majesty 400, and that's because they were my main commuters.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your tires were like that at 20k miles, I have absolutely nothing to worry about because I will likely change them before I hit 10k miles.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Metzeler Z8 Interact came standard on a BMW F800GT I had. I did not like them. The first reason was that they would step out when crossing slickly painted lines on the road, even when dry. The second reason is that it's very difficult to monitor wear on the rear. There are some small, shallow sipes near the center that end up vanishing pretty early on, and from that point there's not much to indicate the degree of wear. The wear bars further down the sides are not useful since it's always the center that goes first. I was thinking the tires were fine and then suddenly I'm seeing white fabric. A buddy on an R1200RT had the same experience. I felt bad later because I gave him some grief about riding on the cords, and then I turned around and did the same thing.
It seems that Z8's are currently in post-covid time the only tires one can get in our sizes (oversized in my case), mine should be here in a couple of days, but I'm curious Stichill - how many miles did you have on them when the cords started showing. I have 8000km on my Avons, and tbh they look pretty good with even wear, there is no squaring off nor chipping. I'm changing them because I noticed some small cracks on the sidewall, but I would normally get new rubber every year, and I don't really ride one bike for more than 15k/year, I only ever took out the soul of my Versys 650 and the second Majesty 400, and that's because they were my main commuters.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your tires were like that at 20k miles, I have absolutely nothing to worry about because I will likely change them before I hit 10k miles.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
The rear showed white cords at 9,600 miles / 15,450 km.

Here's a good discussion of the issue.

A good pic showing why it is hard to know when the tire is about to show cords (not my pic):

 
just a thought any one with cupping front tire do you have balance weights, beads or just line up the dot with valve steam and have at it
 
Back
Top