which tires to go with?

uscgmac_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Im trying to decide between a set of Bridgestone bt45s for 221.76 or a set of Bridgestone bt54s for 238.76. First set is from rocky mountain atv mc with no tax and free shipping and the second set from chaparral motorsports with no tax and free shipping. Thoughts and opinions please. I know these type of questions are very subjective. I currently am still running the stock oem dunlops which came with my bike and are no longer available.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
Im trying to decide between a set of Bridgestone bt45s for 221.76 or a set of Bridgestone bt54s for 238.76. First set is from rocky mountain atv mc with no tax and free shipping and the second set from chaparral motorsports with no tax and free shipping. Thoughts and opinions please. I know these type of questions are very subjective. I currently am still running the stock oem dunlops which came with my bike and are no longer available.
Not what you asked, but I ordered the Pirelli Angel GTs from Revzilla and got a good sale price. Paid $293.34 with free shipping, a $40 rebate and no tax. Even earned $10 toward a future purchase from Revzilla, so I'm pretty happy with the deal. I'm very pleased with the tires and they come recommended by others on the forum.

Pirelli Angel GT Tires - RevZilla

Pirelli Angel GT Tires - RevZilla
 
I recently bought a pair of BT54 for 210€ in Germany via internet.
Their weren't easy to find, but I got some. Seems as if
they might be put out off the market soon. Until now I've only
used the BT54 and the rear tire is still the first at 26.000km.
But now in the not too far away future it's time for a chance.
The front tire didn't last that long, 14.000km.

So I recommend them. Didn't know that the BT45 has a license to be driven on the CB.
In Germany he doesn't have it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Wisedrum
 
USCG,

Are you sure the OEM Dunlops are not available? I had my dealer part guy check About 2 weeks ago and he put in 5 and they showed in stock. 5 was just a random amount he tried.
 
I had the Dunlops when the bike was new and replaced them with BT-54's at about 7500 miles. So far so good (10.500 miles) as they seem to wearing much more evenly than the Dunlops. Someone on the forum (Motogeezer?) suggested running 38 psi in the front tire to get more even wear so that's what I've been doing.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
USCG,

Are you sure the OEM Dunlops are not available? I had my dealer part guy check About 2 weeks ago and he put in 5 and they showed in stock. 5 was just a random amount he tried.
Thanks but I refuse to pay a dealer markup on tires so I really dont care about using the oem dunlops. I think most tires will be sufficiant for this bike being its not a race or track bike. I havent seen the dunlops on any of the discount tire sites, if the dealers have old stock you know they mark them up 20 to 30% at least. Ive heard good things about the Bridgestones.
Maybe the dealers will heavily discount the dunlops just to clear them out?? Its a little strange how all of a sudden the cb1100 went from a dunlop to a bridgestone as the oem tire almost overnight. Lots of people with my same bike had bridgestones come stock on theirs.
Maybe the dealers will heavily discount the dunlops just to clear them out?? Its a little strange how all of a sudden the cb1100 went from a dunlop to a bridgestone as the oem tire almost overnight. Lots of people with my same bike had bridgestones come stock on theirs.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
USCG,

Are you sure the OEM Dunlops are not available? I had my dealer part guy check About 2 weeks ago and he put in 5 and they showed in stock. 5 was just a random amount he tried.
Thanks but I refuse to pay a dealer markup on tires so I really dont care about using the oem dunlops. I think most tires will be sufficiant for this bike being its not a race or track bike. I havent seen the dunlops on any of the discount tire sites, if the dealers have old stock you know they mark them up 20 to 30% at least. Ive heard good things about the Bridgestones.
 
You should definitely consider the 160/110 combo, as you'll find many more options available. I did exactly what Bob mentioned above, with the Angel GTs.

Haven't ridden on them yet, but gosh do they look cool...
 
I'm on my 3rd set of dual compound BT-45s on my CB750, which has a similar weight and configuration. They wear amazingly well and are plenty sticky in the twisties. I get around 12K from a front tire and 10K on the rear. I was considering the BT-45s for the CB1100, but I tend to go with radials if that's what the manufacturer put on.

I wasn't impressed with the stock BT-54s on the CB1100 (wore out quickly and unevenly), so I went with the Michelin PR3 dual compound tires. They're working out much better than the originals.
 
I'm eager to learn how it goes with the Pirellis. I have another season to go on the PR3s and they're great but would like to change it up.
 
Are you guys changing out your own tires? Would love to order online but local dealers cop an attitude and charge way more for mounting and balance if you bring tires in rather than if you bought the tires "there".
 
I have a (gasp) service agreement with my dealer that includes free oil changes and tire mounting/balancing, among other things, so I just have them do it.

Still think the Michelin PR3s are the best for this bike.
 
I did change the tires myself. It can be quite an experience, but it doesn't need to be...all you need is the right tools, the right concept, and a bit of patience. Nothing expensive either - just a pair of tire levers, some plastic rim protectors, and some Windex. If you're even slightly mechanically-inclined, and a bit adventurous, I say go for it. Once you do it, you'll never want to pay a dealer again.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
Are you guys changing out your own tires? Would love to order online but local dealers cop an attitude and charge way more for mounting and balance if you bring tires in rather than if you bought the tires "there".
I've never really got why dealers and brick and mortar stores don't just do free installation (or at least free installation if you bring them the wheel removed from the bike) as an enticement for you to buy tires from them. All the dealers around here charge the same $30 or so if even if you buy direct from them at a premium over online sites -- then they complain that no one supports their local motorcycle store.
 
Thread starter
I've always bought online and had dealer install with no problems. Of coarse I get the speech about let us try and match the price online but the dealer can't go that low on price, they were never able to match what I paid online for them. They are happy with any buisness comming their way.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
My Honda dealer can usually make a deal on tires near as good as the web price and they only charge $14 for mounting. Makes little sense for me to order on line.
 
Birds, that is an incredible price to mount tires. My dealer is double that (off the bike)

I just ordered tires from my local dealer. Could have bought them a little cheaper online. I took my online prices in and the Parts Manager and I negotiated. They couldn't match the online price, but they came close enough for me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Birds, that is an incredible price to mount tires. My dealer is double that (off the bike)

I just ordered tires from my local dealer. Could have bought them a little cheaper online. I took my online prices in and the Parts Manager and I negotiated. They couldn't match the online price, but they came close enough for me.
I should add, that's if you buy the tires from them. More if otherwise.
 
Back
Top