Where to hide an extra key?

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have been putting off getting extra keys cut for the CBs and have always hidden one under my vehicles over the years just in case. Just last year, I was 100 miles from home and locked the keys in the truck. :@ Of course, it had snowed the night before and I had to crawl around in that mess to retrieve the extra key but it was better than having to call someone.

Just wondering if any of you other guys have done this and where might be a good place to hide an extra key? I dont think I have HISS so I dont think it will be a problem getting my locksmith to make me a spare. I always used those little magnetic boxes for cars but looking for ideas on a motorcycle.
 
Yes I always hide a key somewhere on my bikes. On the CB I take a spare key (one cut by Mr. Lock ie: flat no knob on top) and take a piece of duct tape and tape it up inside the rear tail light bracket out of the elements and prying eyes. I leave a small folded over flap on one end of the duct tape so I can remove it if necessary. Don't know how if would work for our overseas members that have the HISS system, but it works fine for me.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yes I always hide a key somewhere on my bikes. On the CB I take a spare key (one cut by Mr. Lock ie: flat no knob on top) and take a piece of duct tape and tape it up inside the rear tail light bracket out of the elements and prying eyes. I leave a small folded over flap on one end of the duct tape so I can remove it if necessary. Don't know how if would work for our overseas members that have the HISS system, but it works fine for me.
Thanks for the idea.:thumbsup: I could not figure out what you were describing until I went out to take a look at the tail light bracket. When I get time, I am going to take a closer look to see if I can come up with anything else just to satisfy my curiosity.
 
The taillight bracket (chrome part) is just a hollow dome. Plenty of room up in there. But if you come up with something else please let us know. Options are good. Only place I could think of that didn't require tools or a key to get in to.

When I traded in my 2013 I told the dealer about the key, but he forgot and a few weeks later I went up and pulled it out for him to put in the used bike packet for the next buyer.
 
Capo_imp said:
Do you remember the watch scene in Pulp Fiction?

No, I never watched Pulp Fiction ( don't really care for Tarantino films). Someone PM me and tell me what I missed.
 
Go to youtube and type in "Pulp Fiction Gold Watch" and you will see. If you haven't seen the movie, it won't make any sense. Regardless, if you are entertained by Christopher Walken's awkwardness, you may still get a laugh.
 
Ok will do.

Ok watched it, and i get it lol
 
A Honda Ignition Security System with a chip hidden inside the head of the key.

To quote Honda:

One of the things riders hate and fear most is 'theft.' We hear on the news that "gangs of bike thieves are running rampant" throughout the world. Unforgivable, but how can we protect our bikes from theft? There are countless anti-theft devices sold specifically for motorcycles, including U-locks, wire locks and chains. These items may, in fact, have an effect on reducing theft, but are they enough for total protection?
It goes without saying that Honda has also taken countermeasures, and one way in which Honda is battling motorcycle theft is with its Honda Ignition Security System (H.I.S.S.). H.I.S.S. is an electronic anti-theft device (called an immobilizer) that automatically disables the starting of the engine by means of electronic control.
Stop and get off the bike, remove the ignition key - and from that moment on H.I.S.S. begins to work... an effective amulet to ward off theft.
 
First time I tried to use my helmet lock, I bent my key and could not straighten it enough to make it work the ignition. Stranded. My wife had to come rescue me with my spare key. Now, I keep a spare key in the in the inside zippered pocket of each of my riding jackets so I always have a spare for whatever reason. Haven't had to use it yet........
 
I had a spare key cut (after I bent my original) and it was cut on a flat blank. The spare fits nicely into one of the credit card slots in my wallet.
 
Jeephoto_imp said:
Um, what is this "HISS" you are talking about?
It's the sound of the original 'Japanese Factory' air leaving your tire after you've run over an obstacle....;)
The ferret_imp said:
Yes I always hide a key somewhere on my bikes. On the CB I take a spare key (one cut by Mr. Lock ie: flat no knob on top) and take a piece of duct tape and tape it up inside the rear tail light bracket out of the elements and prying eyes. I leave a small folded over flap on one end of the duct tape so I can remove it if necessary. Don't know how if would work for our overseas members that have the HISS system, but it works fine for me.
Mickey, watch for a gang of scooters to be following you on your next ride....they know where to find your key now! :D
 
I'll know that if my CB disappears at the rally in May it must be one of you guys :dodgy:
 
I like to take a spare key, drill a hole in the top part and put it behind the license plate (stick the bolt through plate then key then attach to bike)
Then if ya lose keys all you need is to borrow a screwdriver
Peace
-Rich
 
Nighthawk_imp said:
I like to take a spare key, drill a hole in the top part and put it behind the license plate (stick the bolt through plate then key then attach to bike)
Then if ya lose keys all you need is to borrow a screwdriver
Peace
-Rich
That is a great idea! If you use wing nuts on the license plate, you don't even need a screwdriver.

I've always hidden a spare key on my truck, but could never really find an accessible, yet hidden spot on the motorcycles. Thanks!

And BTW, good first post. Welcome to the forum!
 
Yeah. Welcome Rich.
 
Back
Top