Where Are They Now? Future CB11 Owners of Yesteryear

specialist8

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was thinking to myself a few weeks ago about this forum and with what seems to be of the most current information, there are no foreseeable releases of CB11 to look out for. I view this forum about everyday, so there would certainly be a hole left were this to go away, hence the arrival of such ponderings. This brings me to the inevitable finality of this forum and what transpires after.

I'm new to this whole quorum that relies itself on the shared experience of owning one particular MC. Does the future forum of a discontinued bike linger long after? Will threads start to appear that show how much resilience one has gotten outta their CB? Will we all reminisce on the newness that was once so apparent of our beloved's? Will there be a new bike that comes out that fills the void that the CB has now created? And we'll all migrate to a new forum but in the back of our heads, we recollect the "good ole days" when bikes were air cooled and ABS was optional? I'm drifting here, but you get the gist.

This is clearly an extremely speculative thread. I was curious to see how others view the future of belonging to a forum that may or may not be able to sustain itself forever seeing we may have a "limited" release model on our hands.
 
If I understand your musings and your question correctly, even if many of us were to sell our beloved CBs and move on to some other ride, someone will still own our CB and benefit from this forum. IOW- if some of us are no longer here, our bike and it's new owner will be. After all, the bikes aren't going away any time soon.
(And I ain't selling mine probably ever)

I know we don't have similar numbers in sales like they did, but people are still selling and buying the great CBs of the 1970s and 1980s and there are several forums that still cater to their ownership. SOHC forum, DOHC forum, and a few others. I recently owned two older CBs and benefitted from the knowledge offered there.

As to the question will those of us that become former owners recall and talk about these good old days? Probably not unless we retire form motorcycling right from this forum. People move on, and after a while time marches on and former forums become a distant memory.... That's just my take. My memory isn't that good anymore. YMMV.
 
There are quite a few very active forums dedicated to bikes that have not been manufactured for many years. For Hondas a few examples would the the SOHC forum and the Nighthawk forum. The retro Kaw ZRX owners have a busy forum, even though the last one was delivered in '08. I'm sure there are a lot more examples out there.

I think the enthusiasm that CB11 owners have for their bikes is a bit above average, if this forum is any indication. I think this group will be around for a very long time.
 
Not getting rid of my CB anytime soon and, as long as there are contributors to this forum the likes of Cormanus, Ferret, Pterry and Metallyguitarded (and others), I will be following this forum. The seat time reports themselves are worth the price of admission even if I didn't own a CB1100
 
It isn't hard to imagine our bikes being around 25 years from now and on their 12th owner. All of the information gathered here is priceless to those future owners, so I hope these forums are preserved.

As a side note, I was an active reader of the nighthawk forums due to my starter bike being an 83 nighthawk 450. Some time ago the forums crashed and all data was lost. The forums owner said sorry, no recovery possible. I was quite stunned to see all that information and how-to's just poof. I have not been back to those forums, so that is the last that I know. I have to mention this in the hopes that someone is archiving and backing up data here...
 
25 years????

iF I'm still moderating this forum in 25 years, someone please ride down to the nursing home and pull the plug.
 
Good one Ferret. In 25 years from now we might be talking about Bikes that don't use gas or have wheels for that matter. But for the time being we will just enjoy what we have.
 
Carguy1959_imp said:
Good one Ferret. In 25 years from now we might be talking about Bikes that don't use gas or have wheels for that matter. But for the time being we will just enjoy what we have.
No wheels? Could be. And then Honda would roll out a limited edition retro bike. People would be saying "Wow, nice restoration on that early 21st century ride, its even got wheels." And you'd have to stun em with the, "No, its actually a 2045 model."
 
RedWinger_imp said:
Carguy1959_imp said:
Good one Ferret. In 25 years from now we might be talking about Bikes that don't use gas or have wheels for that matter. But for the time being we will just enjoy what we have.
No wheels? Could be. And then Honda would roll out a limited edition retro bike. People would be saying "Wow, nice restoration on that early 21st century ride, its even got wheels." And you'd have to stun em with the, "No, its actually a 2045 model."
Good one Red. Gotta love this forum.

Cheers
 
Look, Hollywood used to put out new westerns and people flocked to the theaters to see them. Then slowly they began to cut back on the amount of "Oaters" they produced. Television was new in the 50's and they began making those famous westerns. By the late 70's there were very few left in productions. Every once in a blue moon you see a "new" western that looked a whole lot like the old westerns. Me, I watch them regardless of how long they stopped making them. It helps me remember back to my childhood days living in Cuba. I bought my 2014 CB1100 because they had stopped making them. I relive my youth on this bike and as far as I'm concerned they can stop making them because "I got mine". But rest assured that just as those old westerns get air time in movies and television re runs, these bike will always have an audience that enjoys a rerun of what made them happy. I have a carrier box on my bike that now carries my rain gear and my Stetson hat. Every once in a while I go to the local airport and watch the airplanes land and take off. I know I get funny looks from passers by but it's ok. The guy with the cowboy hat on the motorcycle is re living some wonderful times.
 
There's something about this forum that, as EmptySea has already pointed out, that means many of us would continue to follow it even if we had sold our CBs.

Ferret, the only plug you'll be pulling in 25 years is the one connected to the battery of your CB so you can take it out for a ride on it's way to 500,000 miles.
 
This forum is unique not so much for the motorcycle it is focused on but more so because of the unique group it has attracted. I have been a member on a few other forums such as the Tiger 1050, Moto Guzzi and V-strom and all had their good points. This forum however, has maintained a level of humor, shared knowledge and civility that is a rare thing on the internet and I would want to continue being a member regardless of what the future brings.
 
The ferret_imp said:
25 years????

iF I'm still moderating this forum in 25 years, someone please ride down to the nursing home and pull the plug.
Don't worry ferret. You'll only think you're still moderating this forum and the nice nursing home people will let you keep thinking that as they spoon feed you your oatmeal.
 
MTC, the feeling is mutual. I've grown quite fond of a number of guys on this forum with you certainly among them. Guys I think of as friends.

I believe the forum will live on even if Honda never makes another CB1100 exactly because of the type of people who visit and contribute here. And, of course, because for many of us, this motorcycle is one that will be with us for many, many years to come. Will we lament the loss of newness? I don't think so. As the time and miles add up, so do the experiences and memories. We have so much to look forward to in the years to come. I believe, that by the year 2025, 2026 at the latest, Hiram will post his first photo. The ferret will wash his CB. Heck, Cormanus may even learn proper English.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
MTC, the feeling is mutual. I've grown quite fond of a number of guys on this forum with you certainly among them. Guys I think of as friends.

I believe the forum will live on even if Honda never makes another CB1100 exactly because of the type of people who visit and contribute here. And, of course, because for many of us, this motorcycle is one that will be with us for many, many years to come. Will we lament the loss of newness? I don't think so. As the time and miles add up, so do the experiences and memories. We have so much to look forward to in the years to come. I believe, that by the year 2025, 2026 at the latest, Hiram will post his first photo. The ferret will wash his CB. Heck, Cormanus may even learn proper English.
Well, it just might be my luck that just as I master the art of "posting pictures" in 2026 some snotty little kid will pull on my pants and say, "Hey mister, don't you know that that posting stuff isn't done anymore?" "You have to learn the new and improved method!". But not to worry, but I'm hard headed, and eventually I will outlast the most modern technological advancements. But it will all probably have been a dream and the technology will just pass me by as it has done for the past 30 years.
 
Thread starter
Some awesome feedback guys. I'm most fond of MGs thoughts that the more miles and time we have on these beauts, the more memories and experiences we'll have. There's already a rich ride history amongst this forum and there's only been 3 years of max ownership for this bike. Could only imagine the ride reports/mods/mishaps we have to look forward to with all the life these bikes have left in them. Perhaps my nostalgia hit too soon. Live long and prosper my fellow mates.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
" I believe, that by the year 2025, 2026 at the latest, Hiram will post his first photo. The ferret will wash his CB. Heck, Cormanus may even learn proper English. "

Whaaaaat? My bike got washed twice today..for free..by mother nature. Problem is now it's dirtier than it was before the washings.

washing is for polishers...not riders :biker:
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
MTC, the feeling is mutual. I've grown quite fond of a number of guys on this forum with you certainly among them. Guys I think of as friends.

I believe the forum will live on even if Honda never makes another CB1100 exactly because of the type of people who visit and contribute here. And, of course, because for many of us, this motorcycle is one that will be with us for many, many years to come. Will we lament the loss of newness? I don't think so. As the time and miles add up, so do the experiences and memories. We have so much to look forward to in the years to come. I believe, that by the year 2025, 2026 at the latest, Hiram will post his first photo. The ferret will wash his CB. Heck, Cormanus may even learn proper English.
Hear, hear. Well said MG. And MTC.

metallyguitarded_imp said:
MTC, the feeling is mutual. I've grown quite fond of a number of guys on this forum with you certainly among them. Guys I think of as friends.

I believe the forum will live on even if Honda never makes another CB1100 exactly because of the type of people who visit and contribute here. And, of course, because for many of us, this motorcycle is one that will be with us for many, many years to come. Will we lament the loss of newness? I don't think so. As the time and miles add up, so do the experiences and memories. We have so much to look forward to in the years to come. I believe, that by the year 2025, 2026 at the latest, Hiram will post his first photo. The ferret will wash his CB. Heck, Cormanus may even learn proper English.
WaddayameanMGCormanusmayevenlearntospeakEnglishproper? WaswrongwivmyEnglish?

AvagoodweegendandonforgettheAreoguard.
____

*May contain a trace of an ancient advertising slogan.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
MTC, the feeling is mutual. I've grown quite fond of a number of guys on this forum with you certainly among them. Guys I think of as friends.

I believe the forum will live on even if Honda never makes another CB1100 exactly because of the type of people who visit and contribute here. And, of course, because for many of us, this motorcycle is one that will be with us for many, many years to come. Will we lament the loss of newness? I don't think so. As the time and miles add up, so do the experiences and memories. We have so much to look forward to in the years to come. I believe, that by the year 2025, 2026 at the latest, Hiram will post his first photo. The ferret will wash his CB. Heck, Cormanus may even learn proper English.
Hear, hear. Well said MG. And MTC.

metallyguitarded_imp said:
MTC, the feeling is mutual. I've grown quite fond of a number of guys on this forum with you certainly among them. Guys I think of as friends.

I believe the forum will live on even if Honda never makes another CB1100 exactly because of the type of people who visit and contribute here. And, of course, because for many of us, this motorcycle is one that will be with us for many, many years to come. Will we lament the loss of newness? I don't think so. As the time and miles add up, so do the experiences and memories. We have so much to look forward to in the years to come. I believe, that by the year 2025, 2026 at the latest, Hiram will post his first photo. The ferret will wash his CB. Heck, Cormanus may even learn proper English.
WaddayameanMGCormanusmayevenlearntospeakEnglishproper? WaswrongwivmyEnglish?

AvagoodweegendandonforgettheAreoguard.
____

*May contain a trace of an ancient advertising slogan.
I actually was able to read and understand this without a problem. :huh:
 
Back
Top