when break-in period ends?

cbdtran_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Honda manual never mention when break-in period end, I assume it ends around 5K miles mark.

Am I correct?

How do i know my bike is fully break-in?
 
cbdtran_imp said:
Honda manual never mention when break-in period end, I assume it ends around 5K miles mark.

Am I correct?

How do i know my bike is fully break-in?
500 miles then ride it like you stole it.
 
FUZZY_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
Honda manual never mention when break-in period end, I assume it ends around 5K miles mark.

Am I correct?

How do i know my bike is fully break-in?
500 miles then ride it like you stole it.
500 miles then ride it like you stole it.

+1 :excited:
 
I define the end of the break in period is when the mileage settles down (everything else being equal; as in the activity of your right wrist). So you have your initial break in, which I'll assume what Honda is talking about, and the final wear in when mileage peaks; everything is running together as well as it's ever going to do and all is right with the world. :)

For a modern liquid cooled engine that appears to be just south of 15,000 miles. For our beast I suspect it's closer to 5K.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I define the end of the break in period is when the mileage settles down (everything else being equal; as in the activity of your right wrist). So you have your initial break in, which I'll assume what Honda is talking about, and the final wear in when mileage peaks; everything is running together as well as it's ever going to do and all is right with the world. :)

For a modern liquid cooled engine that appears to be just south of 15,000 miles. For our beast I suspect it's closer to 5K.
I do my own service work and was talking to my dealer about switching to synthetic oil-he said he wouldn't recommend it until around the 4K-5K mile mark when everything was properly mated inside the motor. This jives perfectly with your estimate.
 
Whenever I break one in I ride pretty easy until the first oil change, then gradually twist my wrist a little more as the miles go by. I've got over 1,000 miles on mine and still haven't hit the redline yet. Close, but not there yet.
 
mininsx_imp said:
Whenever I break one in I ride pretty easy until the first oil change, then gradually twist my wrist a little more as the miles go by. I've got over 1,000 miles on mine and still haven't hit the redline yet. Close, but not there yet.
I go through a similar process, but would add that I try to limit my RPMs to under 4K until the first oil change, 6K till the second oil change, and then open it up after that. Of course, there always seems to be at least once per period where I unintentionally break my own rule...:biker:
 
Sooo....in the 70s my family's Honda shop in So. Cal. built a lot of Russ Collins 836 mods. for the CB750s (GOD THAT WAS FUN!) Anyway.....We would roll em over to the to the Dyno... Start em... let em get warm.... then launch em..... cool em down change the oil..... We were pretty sure they were broke in....Ride it like ya stole it! Lmao!! TOO funny!!
 
I kept things generally under 4000 rpms until first oil change at 550 miles, up to 6500 until 1000, now at 1200 miles and ready to hit 8K in the lower gears.
 
Back
Top