Wheel cleaners

1100rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am trying to find out how to clean the aluminum wheels on my CB. I also have a VTX1800F that has ugly aluminum rims and need to be cleaned. Are the wheels clear coated or can I use something like a Mother product without damaging them? Any products out there that will help me?
 
Pledge has become my go-to cleaning product that I use on just about every part of the bike (with the exception of the chain), including the wheels. Pledge and a microfiber towel does wonders. The black wheels on my standard do not have a clear coat on them. Not sure about the silver wheels on the DLX or '13 standard.
 
I use engine degreaser on my grey/silver wheels. I'll spray some on a rag or the wheel itself and it just destroys road grime and chain lube, it stands head and shoulders above the Maguiar's non-acid wheel cleaner I used to use. As soon as I've cleaned the grime off I'll rinse it with a hose.
I'm not sure whether or not this method is kosher but I find it extremely effective, I'm going to start waxing the wheels once they're clean as well as I've heard this makes them much easier to keep clean.
 
When you're a clutz like me, using anything marked "DANGER" as clearly as Fuelite would be a recipe for disaster. Cormanus and a CB would vanish in a puff of acrid smoke.
 
I use WD40 on my wheels (especially the rear wheel) to clean off any lube fling and general road dust and dirt. I take it easy at first to remove abrasive dust and grit then go after any lube, grease, road tar.
If the aluminum is bare you will have to use an aluminum polish.
Clean them well first to remove any grit that may scratch the metal.
I'm pretty sure that aluminum is clear coated or it would tarnish in no time at all depending on your weather and riding conditions.
 
1100rider_imp said:
I am trying to find out how to clean the aluminum wheels on my CB. I also have a VTX1800F that has ugly aluminum rims and need to be cleaned. Are the wheels clear coated or can I use something like a Mother product without damaging them? Any products out there that will help me?
1100,

On the '13 CB11 the wheels are clear coated to protect the bare aluminum from corrosion. The safest and most effective cleaner for them is WD-40. It quickly and effortlessly removes grease slung off of your chain on to the rear wheel. Road tar, grime, and everything else comes off easy as well. Unlike many other cleaners WD-40 will not harm the clear coat or paint. The original purpose of WD-40 was to protect bare aluminum aircraft surfaces from corrosion from salt air and mist near the ocean.

Don't spray it directly on to your wheels as you may get it on your tires as well making them slick. Spray it on to a rag and wipe your wheels off. You'll be blown away at how well it works. Cheers.

Chip
 
1100rider, Chip knows what he's talking about. Look at his avatar. That plane is going straight up into the sky. It couldn't do that if it hadn't been carefully sprayed with WD40.
 
1100rider_imp said:
I am trying to find out how to clean the aluminum wheels on my CB. I also have a VTX1800F that has ugly aluminum rims and need to be cleaned. Are the wheels clear coated or can I use something like a Mother product without damaging them? Any products out there that will help me?
I use spray Honda cleaner/wax sprayed onto a rag if they're really dirty, otherwise a damp rag.
 
3c5f7bd0a2ef0ecfdb5522a99c977e9f.jpg


This was invented to clean weapons. Best I know.

Ballistol - Wikipedia

It's not toxic, some use it even as medicine.
 
Django, according to that article, the military stopped using it in 1945.

What aren't we being told?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Django, according to that article, the military stopped using it in 1945.

What aren't we being told?
Well, after WWII, the Germans were forced to demobilize by the Allies.

No more secret weapons. :cool:
 
Django_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Django, according to that article, the military stopped using it in 1945.

What aren't we being told?
Well, after WWII, the Germans were forced to demobilize by the Allies.

No more secret weapons. :cool:
Well, after WWII, the Germans were forced to demobilize by the Allies.

No more secret weapons. :cool:
OK. I'll get some.
 
MrTim_imp said:
I use engine degreaser on my grey/silver wheels. I'll spray some on a rag or the wheel itself and it just destroys road grime and chain lube, it stands head and shoulders above the Maguiar's non-acid wheel cleaner I used to use. As soon as I've cleaned the grime off I'll rinse it with a hose.
I'm not sure whether or not this method is kosher but I find it extremely effective, I'm going to start waxing the wheels once they're clean as well as I've heard this makes them much easier to keep clean.
I did this the last time I gave my CB a thorough cleaning. I've done this with my car wheels in the past and it made it far easier to clean off dirt and brake dust that accumulated between washings. Not sure how it will fare with the "artwork" flung from the chain on a bike, but I'll find out soon enough.
 
Back
Top