What's the diff?

:rofl:

Good one SS ( btw wore my shirt yesterday.. Still cool )
 
The NAPA part number cross references to the KN-204, so seems legit there. May be as simple as being manufactured in two different plants where the metal stampings are different. That, or there was a stamping redesign and one is pre while the other is post. If you can find a manufacture date it may tell the story.
 
It may just be that Napa needs their own number for their inventory system. It appears to be their own label. I'd venture to say if you could peel back the lower left hand corner of the Napa label, you'd find the K&N part number.
 
The ferret_imp said:
It may just be that Napa needs their own number for their inventory system. It appears to be their own label. I'd venture to say if you could peel back the lower left hand corner of the Napa label, you'd find the K&N part number.
No doubt, but the noticeable difference is the shape of the metal face plate. One is flat, while the other has several bends and radiuses.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
It may just be that Napa needs their own number for their inventory system. It appears to be their own label. I'd venture to say if you could peel back the lower left hand corner of the Napa label, you'd find the K&N part number.
No doubt, but the noticeable difference is the shape of the metal face plate. One is flat, while the other has several bends and radiuses.
No doubt, but the noticeable difference is the shape of the metal face plate. One is flat, while the other has several bends and radiuses.
You're right. There's no way that those can be considered the same. They are structurally different !
 
The NAPA one does look beefier. That said, the one I just put on my bike (ordered from Canada's Motorcycle, a big, high-volume retailer in CAD) looks just like the one on the left, so must be just a date of manufacture difference. Is there a trademark or copyright date on the packaging? Sometimes an easy way to tell deadstock.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Lots of knock off stuff out there.
along those lines.. I took a lesson from Harley Davidson, that 'an oil filter is an oil filter' is not so true...

Somewhere in the mid-2000s the big air cooled twins went through some major internal changes.
These changes required the specification of an oil filter with a finer filtration barrier.
On the outside, the new filter looks just like the older spec ones. Use an older spec filter on your newer HD and you're probably slowly wearing out the engine faster than if the correct filter that blocks smaller particles were used.

Look the same AND they are both from HD for the 'same bike', but the filters are very different..
 
9defe4914167b4a8bb071b2ca927eb20.jpg

I have a few of K&N filters I bought from Amazon a while back and they all look like this. I bought 6. I am using the third. Hope they're not counterfeit...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Pauley_imp said:
9defe4914167b4a8bb071b2ca927eb20.jpg

I have a few of K&N filters I bought from Amazon a while back and they all look like this. I bought 6. I am using the third. Hope they're not counterfeit...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've cut the ones that look like that apart after use and they have the synthetic filter media and silicone ADBV with coil spring that all K&N oil filters come with. Their quality looks too high for them to be fake.
 
This might help. When I was in the bis. the K&N filters were made by Hi-Flow (same people who make KTm filters
and more under contract). They used materials specified by K&N. After I left I heard that K&N was now using
another Mfg. so what you are looking at are two K&N filters made at different times by different Mfg..
 
Pauley_imp said:
I kind of like the little nut on top of the K&N ;)
have a welded on nut is handy.

Since these use once style filters only have to come off once, I'm OK just using a universal 'grip and destroy if necessary' plier type filter wrench. For the tougher jobs, usually the ones where the factory installed the filter, getting it off usually involves deforming it from the tight grip.

After that I only tighten the new one the required amount and those are easier to spin off without having to grip so hard.
 
The Honda oil filter removal tool has a nut on it. Jus sayin
 
If a filter is installed without oiling the O-ring or is over tightened as often is the case with the factory installed filter, I see little use in the K&N "nut".
 
The nut can be awesome for people with headers or on some full fairing sport bikes, where they literally engineered just enough room to get a filter on/off for the sake of packaging efficiency. For our bikes though, it's really of no use.
 
Back
Top