What's an RLET?

EmptySea_imp said:
Scout... It would be easier for potential CB1100 riders to become educated about RLETs if this thread were made "sticky". However, there is something about the journey, the search for an answer, the intellectual curiosity satisfied, that takes a person from being merely a motorcyclist to being a CB1100 Rider. Be it clear, though, that RLETs themselves need not be installed on one's bike in order to achieve symbiosis with this fine machine, but knowledge of their existence, history, and speculated purpose is of paramount importance in the process.

Short-cutting the spiritual journey of using the search function and reading post after post about these small, but important, accessories would deprive potential owners and owners-not-yet-informed of the opportunity for CB1100 Nirvana.

I vote "no" to making RLET threads "sticky".

:thumbsup:
 
scout48_imp said:
I know I will be bringing an old thread back to life, but I was using the search feature to answer this very important question for myself. I have stated that I am strongly considering a new cb in other threads. I will be sure to insist that RLETs come on my bike or the deal is off. I laughed my butt off, googled some pics, and decided that they must be there. This thread should be a sticky...
Lord Popgun_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The ball ends on my levers still glory in their nakedness, smiling into the wind, sparkling in the sun and unfettered by convention.
I still say: NOBODY show Redbirds the secret handshake!
I still say: NOBODY show Redbirds the secret handshake!
You know... IF we have a NC rally again next spring... I say we just do to Redbirds what was done to me. I haven't called them 'rubbers' since and every time I ride the bike, I think of that rally and the effort that a few of you made to get me over from the dark side... er... shiny side. :biker:
 
From ages past the tradition of RLETs was that they must remain as a bride to be (also known as Barkles) and only after leaving this life will they assume the true meaning of Farkles. This secret is keep hidden behind a large blue tarp purchased at the local Walmart. If you sell your CB then your RLETs cannot become Farkles upon your promotion to the glory.
 
Curious, has anybody tried or considered dipping there lever tips in placti dip? Of course now, that would devalue the bike immensely since it's not a honda factory part. however the dipping kind does come in red, blue, yellow, white as well as black...
 
ride4now_imp said:
scout48_imp said:
I know I will be bringing an old thread back to life, but I was using the search feature to answer this very important question for myself. I have stated that I am strongly considering a new cb in other threads. I will be sure to insist that RLETs come on my bike or the deal is off. I laughed my butt off, googled some pics, and decided that they must be there. This thread should be a sticky...
Lord Popgun_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The ball ends on my levers still glory in their nakedness, smiling into the wind, sparkling in the sun and unfettered by convention.
I still say: NOBODY show Redbirds the secret handshake!
I still say: NOBODY show Redbirds the secret handshake!
You know... IF we have a NC rally again next spring... I say we just do to Redbirds what was done to me. I haven't called them 'rubbers' since and every time I ride the bike, I think of that rally and the effort that a few of you made to get me over from the dark side... er... shiny side. :biker:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The ball ends on my levers still glory in their nakedness, smiling into the wind, sparkling in the sun and unfettered by convention.
I still say: NOBODY show Redbirds the secret handshake!
I still say: NOBODY show Redbirds the secret handshake!
You know... IF we have a NC rally again next spring... I say we just do to Redbirds what was done to me. I haven't called them 'rubbers' since and every time I ride the bike, I think of that rally and the effort that a few of you made to get me over from the dark side... er... shiny side. :biker:
I'll simply take a blade to them as in times past. It must be deftly done, a razor sharp blade, with care. So much as a scratch on the aluminum and the lever must be discarded, replaced with an original.:D
 
If you have to ask ..........
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
Curious, has anybody tried or considered dipping there lever tips in placti dip? Of course now, that would devalue the bike immensely since it's not a honda factory part. however the dipping kind does come in red, blue, yellow, white as well as black...
Dude, of course you an do what you like with your very own lever ends. You can post photos of it on the forum even. However, may I ask—with the greatest respect—that you not raise such heresy in this thread. Redbirds deplorable carryings on are quite enough.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Headbanger02_imp said:
Curious, has anybody tried or considered dipping there lever tips in placti dip? Of course now, that would devalue the bike immensely since it's not a honda factory part. however the dipping kind does come in red, blue, yellow, white as well as black...
Dude, of course you an do what you like with your very own lever ends. You can post photos of it on the forum even. However, may I ask—with the greatest respect—that you not raise such heresy in this thread. Redbirds deplorable carryings on are quite enough.
Dude, of course you an do what you like with your very own lever ends. You can post photos of it on the forum even. However, may I ask—with the greatest respect—that you not raise such heresy in this thread. Redbirds deplorable carryings on are quite enough.
No, I myself, have the factory stock part on my CB and my Valkyrie and my enduro dirt bike and my....wait, no I couldn't put it on my chopper, it has a different style lever, I was thinking along the lines such as CB4ME who likes and has a full on red theme to his bike as an example, I realize that this would/could cause a horrific "I can't believe he said that moment" but sometimes you just have to stick your neck out...:D
 
What's an RLET? "Really Long Explanation Topic"

For those of us who have 'em, we never go out in public with the balls on the end of our levers uncovered.... LOL
fritz
 
Surely we can get it to 50 pages lol
 
I'm not waiting for a pseudo philosophical answers à la:
EmptySea_imp said:
Scout... It would be easier for potential CB1100 riders to become educated about RLETs if this thread were made "sticky". However, there is something about the journey, the search for an answer, the intellectual curiosity satisfied, that takes a person from being merely a motorcyclist to being a CB1100 Rider. Be it clear, though, that RLETs themselves need not be installed on one's bike in order to achieve symbiosis with this fine machine, but knowledge of their existence, history, and speculated purpose is of paramount importance in the process.

Short-cutting the spiritual journey of using the search function and reading post after post about these small, but important, accessories would deprive potential owners and owners-not-yet-informed of the opportunity for CB1100 Nirvana.

I vote "no" to making RLET threads "sticky".
:rolleyes:


So, I'm merely searching for an objective maybe scientific answer to the question, what was the original purpose of those rlets on honda bikes of yesteryear?

Now I'm curious :)
 
Good luck on finding that answer. I searched for years for the answer to that question. There has been a persistent rumor that a Japanese engineer early on scratched his car with the end of a lever while backing his bike out of the garage and they have had them ever since. The other thing I have heard was in the early days a lot of people dropped their bikes scratching the end of their levers. You could cover it up with a 25 cent rubber cover rather than replacing a $3 lever. All I can tell you for sure is I bought my first Honda in 1967 and it had them, and every CB Honda I owned or saw up until about the late 80s had them. I planned on getting rlets in 2012 in anticipation of the US getting the CB 1100 and they went on my 2013, the first the dealer received before I even took delivery of it.
 
:)
indeed read alot about it I have, reading all 8 pages here I've done, to finish the 52 page topic I have not,

my training on this matter is yet to be completed
326b647e2286c33cef85e1e7192b908a.gif
 
That's the spirit, Riko. A Jedi you will be. :thumbsup:
 
This nonsense was posted in another thread.

A knob dipped in Plasti-dip does not an RLET make. If you doubt it, re-read this thread.
 
Back
Top