What Year is that Honda?

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Honda has done such a good job of integrating styling concepts from earlier 4 cyl CB's, has anyone been asked about their restored and customized "old Honda" yet? I'm sure it will happen.
 
Oh yea, a lot of us have had that experience. People are really amazed when you tell them what they were sure was a really clean late 70s mid 80s Honda is actually a 2013.
 
All the time! Either that or old guys smiling and giggling that Honda brought back the style. My proudest was when I came out of the local gas station after buying some beer and 3 tattoo artists were checking it out and commenting on how great the lines of the tank were. I've even gotten the occasional lady commenting on how great the bike looks.
 
I had posted a 2 week old photo of mine on FaceBook, one of my car race buddies from 30 years ago said it was in good clean shape, what year was it? After I posted 2013, never heard back for some reason...
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Constantly, then I have to explain what a CB1100 is? I love the resto-mod confusion mine causes.....:celebrate:
Ack - I can only imagine.

BTW, how is the rust removal on those affected parts going?
 
redbirds_imp said:
Honda has done such a good job of integrating styling concepts from earlier 4 cyl CB's, has anyone been asked about their restored and customized "old Honda" yet? I'm sure it will happen.
Actually the opposite happened to me last year. I was at a group ride with a meetup group to help sweep with some newer riders and one lady thought my lovingly pampered '73 CB500 was a new motorcycle!
;)
 
I get that question while fueling at the gas stations. I also get that question when riding a 2007 Bonneville. I like it. Both bikes are excellent. I can afford now what I could not in high school.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Constantly, then I have to explain what a CB1100 is? I love the resto-mod confusion mine causes.....:celebrate:
Ack - I can only imagine.

BTW, how is the rust removal on those affected parts going?
Thankfully the rust part has only affected the few bare metal parts, hose clamp screws and a few others. The uncoated aluminum parts are pitted or stained really, throttle body rack, around acorn head nuts and a few other parts. The clearcoated and painted parts are fine. The black on the motor is also ruined, you can't really see it from 20ft though.
It's inside now and cleaned up some. I'm going to pull the tank, clean it all again and use some S100 corrosion protector all over the motor.
 
Yup, gotten a few of those.
"They don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?" "Well, actually, they do!" :cool:

And I've really lost count of the number of times somebody has said "I used to have one of the old 750s," or "My brother used to have one of the old 750s back in the day."
It definitely has struck a chord with people even if they're not all going to run out and buy one.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Yup, gotten a few of those.
"They don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?" "Well, actually, they do!" :cool:

And I've really lost count of the number of times somebody has said "I used to have one of the old 750s," or "My brother used to have one of the old 750s back in the day."
It definitely has struck a chord with people even if they're not all going to run out and buy one.
I had that exact exchange with an older guy on a CBR250 the other day.

The funniest happened last summer at the grocery store :

Guy : What year is it"?
Me : 2013.
Guy : I know it's 2013. I meant what year is your bike?

:D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Yup, gotten a few of those.
"They don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?" "Well, actually, they do!" :cool:

And I've really lost count of the number of times somebody has said "I used to have one of the old 750s," or "My brother used to have one of the old 750s back in the day."
It definitely has struck a chord with people even if they're not all going to run out and buy one.
I had that exact exchange with an older guy on a CBR250 the other day.

The funniest happened last summer at the grocery store :

Guy : What year is it"?
Me : 2013.
Guy : I know it's 2013. I meant what year is your bike?

:D
I had that exact exchange with an older guy on a CBR250 the other day.

The funniest happened last summer at the grocery store :

Guy : What year is it"?
Me : 2013.
Guy : I know it's 2013. I meant what year is your bike?
That is funny:D
:D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Yup, gotten a few of those.
"They don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?" "Well, actually, they do!" :cool:

And I've really lost count of the number of times somebody has said "I used to have one of the old 750s," or "My brother used to have one of the old 750s back in the day."
It definitely has struck a chord with people even if they're not all going to run out and buy one.
I had that exact exchange with an older guy on a CBR250 the other day.

The funniest happened last summer at the grocery store :

Guy : What year is it"?
Me : 2013.
Guy : I know it's 2013. I meant what year is your bike?

:D

:rofl: lordy that's funny!
 
Thread starter
Now it has happened to me. Took a ride to Waycross today to get in some break in miles and enjoy the fine cool weather. Stopped near a construction site and one of the workers walked over to compliment my "vintage" Honda and ask what year and who did the restoration. When I explained that it was a new model he said "now that's the way a bike is supposed to look". Later, while putting some gas in the bike, a fellow walks over and asks, "what year is that old Honda".

This is fun.:D
 
Sitting at a red light last time out, old timer in a rumpled old cowboy hat pulls up in a pickup, rolls down his window, nods, and says, "that sure is a good lookin' ole Honda you got there"

:D
 
Back
Top