What we're hearing about our CB's?

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Could be fun...or could be a waste of time. How about a thread about what people are saying 'to us' when we're out and about on our CB's?

I'll start...

-Yesterday, as I'm walking out of the local Cycle Gear store and mounting the bike... a young 20 something guy riding a Suzuki GSX-R600 walks up to me and says... 'Wow, great looking bike... what year is that? I really like it". After some friendly conversation he says... "When I'm older and ready to start riding a cruiser, I think I'm gonna get one of those"! :thumbsup:

-This morning after leaving Starbucks in Sarasota, a 40 something guy walks up and says..."Beautiful bike! What year is it? How many CC's?" After I told him 1100 CC's... he says... Wow, that's small". Small????? :(

-Then later this afternoon in Boca Grande as I'm getting ready to head back...a couple who appear to be in their 60's...stop me to ask about the bike. He tells me that he's a biker from way back. :dodgy: Then after he tells me how great it looks he's goes on and on telling his wife "how small the bike is... ". Small again? :huh:

What are you hearing??
 
A gent in his 50s said to me at a coffee stop "Now that's what a real bike should look like." I was inclined to agree :)
 
I think the small comments come as most are used to being inundated with the large v twin bikes of 1800+ cc's.

I had a guy come up to me when I stopped at the hardley dealer to put up an American Legion Rider event flier. The guy was impressed asking me about the year and the retro look. He must have liked it enough as he showed up last night at our event as we were welcoming back the freedom honor flight and was looking to join because of the diversity of bikes. Plus we are all part of the American Legion family helping veterans.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Bloke outside the post office recently said to me, "What year is that and how big is it?" When I told him he was surprised by both. :)
 
shysue2_imp said:
I don't think 1100 is small. Sheesh. Now a 250 Honda Rebel, that's kind of small. ;)
After I started riding and the Kawasaki Z900 came out, it was considered an enormous bike. An 1100 was almost unimaginable.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
shysue2_imp said:
I don't think 1100 is small. Sheesh. Now a 250 Honda Rebel, that's kind of small. ;)
After I started riding and the Kawasaki Z900 came out, it was considered an enormous bike. An 1100 was almost unimaginable.
After I started riding and the Kawasaki Z900 came out, it was considered an enormous bike. An 1100 was almost unimaginable.
I remember both the CBX and the Z1300 being regarded as "too big and too powerful" when they were first released in UK.
 
Perhaps they are referring to the CB's physical size. I've gotten looks of surprise when answering the cc question. They assumed it was a smaller engine like a 500 or a 750. My wife's V-strom appears large in comparison.
 
Z1 Kawasaki 59" wb
CBX Honda 58.9" wb
CB1100 58.7" wb
I think the motor is so physically big that it gives the impression of a shorter bike. What else can it be?
 
Older gent in the grocery store, "that your new bike out there? Is that fuel injected? I've had a lot of Hondas but all carbs. That's a timeless color, your always gonna love that."
We chatted again in the parking lot after I had started my red 2013.
"nice, runs like a little car I bet. Hey, Good Luck!"
He said it was the first one he had ever seen in person. Me too actually.

Other friends that just found out I ride when I pulled up to a BBQ on my bike said I looked badass on it.

My 3 year old niece told me she likes it better than my old blue one (shadow vlx) because it's shinier.
 
Two fellows on the same day thought my CB was a restored CB750 from back in the day.
I explained that it was a new bike and it wasn't until they looked at the bike closely (noticed the 1100 badges; single muffler) that they realized their mistake.
They were blown away and loved the bike.
 
At a Cadillac dealership (though not to buy a Cadillac) the sales manager said he thought it was mid 70s, around 500cc. Which means Honda did a great job accomplishing the retro look, and that the size of the bike doesn't always indicate the size of the engine! They were blown away when I told them it was brand new =]
 
The moment I saw a picture of a 2013 CB1100 last year in a US bike magazine I knew I had to have one.
It has "the look", whatever that is. It's like art; I don't know anything about art but I know what I like when I see it.
 
Well in my country behind the "iron courtain" we did not have any Hondas in 60s and 70s and 80s so we don´t have the right history. Only thing I´ve heard from a bunch of riders on a 600s and 1000s rockets is that the CB lacks power and is expensive :-D But few moments after one gentleman took a photo of me on the traffic lights so this balanced out my bad feelings:-)
 
I was stopped literally moments after picking mine up at the dealer by an older guy (by that, I mean maybe in his 70s), who told me it was a beautiful bike, and asked what year it was. I told him 2013, and he said, "No, I mean what year was it made?". I told him again, "2013. It's brand new", and he got a pissed-off look on his face and walked away. I can only guess that he thought it was really a '70s CB, and that I was yanking his chain!
 
Back
Top