What was your first bike?

MaFiHa_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I tried to search if there is any thread where I can post my first bike, but didn’t found any thread about the first bike. If there is one I didn’t found, dear admin, please link this to the existing thread.

My first bike in 1990 was a Honda VT 500 E.
Pretty sure nearly nobody knows this bike.
V2, 50 hp (Limited to 27 :dodgy: to obey the law for student drivers within the first two years)
I put 70.000 km on it with no problems.

ddff028bc3982481148de522ba0414e3.jpg


So, what was your first bike?
 
My true first bike was a Z50, Just like the one pictured below. I was a little kid though, and it was just a toy. My first "real" bike was a POS 1994 Virago 1100, best example I could find also pictured below. Before you say "that's too big of an engine for a new rider." you'd have to ride this thing. it was so old that it didn't have even half of its original HP or Torque. I hated that thing, but i respected it enough to buy a new Vstar when i finally replaced it.
 
1968 Kawasaki 175 Bushwacker. Bought it while in collage. Great little bike. Totaled in a head-on with a station wagon.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
My first bike was *probably* a Honda CB350 -- maybe an early 70's model. Really hard to be sure -- that was about 50 years ago and I had about 1 used bike bought early in the year and sold late in the same year for about the next 5 or 6 years. Can barely remember the sequence. But my goal was for each one to get progressively bigger until I ended up with a series of CB750's
 
After a 3 hp Briggs and Stratton minibike, my first real bike was a 1973 Hodaka Super Rat. I saved up enough to buy a new Honda XR75 and was on the way to the Honda dealer with my dad to pick it up, when I asked if we could stop at the Kawasaki dealer on the way, just to take a look around. They had a new Super Rat in the corner. I rationalized that a 100cc two-stroke would be much faster than a 75cc four-stroke, so I bought it instead of the Honda. I'm still kicking myself for that stupid mistake!

4c8a68afc956b35935536f294aa64d48.jpg
 
In 1966 I bought a 100cc twin cylinder Yamaha YL1 as a birthday present. They were called Twin Tins because of their tinny ding-ding-ding-ding 2-stoke sound. I was so excited my younger brother had to drive me home.


A couple of months later I traded it in on a 305cc twin cylinder Yamaha YM1. Mine did not have flat bars, but this is the best picture I could find.
 
1972 Yamaha RT1. Purchased for $75 in 1977 at age 14. Back in those days, a 7 year old bike may as well have been 70 years old. That thing was a hunk of junk by the time I got my hands on it. Haven't thought about that thing in decades. This thread got me nostalgic though, and I searched through the Youtubuniverse. The sound and smoke from this vid is exactly what I remember though. I can smell it as I type...


 
my proud in 1992

Honda CM 125ccm...made in 3 years 30000km and in the end until i give up it, some over 40k
 
First street bike was a 1965 HD badged Italian Aermacchi 50 .. 50cc 2 stroke, 3 speed bought new in 1965 for $318

f540ef7def785b7b7cc92ed7ac063a53.jpg


I rode the wheels off that thing, and it set me on a path of motorcycling I am still enjoying 53 years later.
 
I rode dirt bikes for a couple of years then bought an SL350 Honda in 1970. Rode it to work and even took a few trips on it though the vibration in the grips was a bother. Traded it and bought a 1973 BMW R75/5. Loved that old Honda, very reliable and easy to start if you knew the drill.
 
Honda CB175—K3, I think.

ef92e198317bf82d6a516d7bca8413e4.jpg
 
You were not a bad looking guy back then Cormanus!

My first: A 1966 Honda CA95 Benly. According to my note on the back of the photo, the upper picture was taken during the summer of 1968.
3dc60c3c19c956d92056f60e855def8a.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
First street bike was a 1965 HD badged Italian Aermacchi 50 .. 50cc 2 stroke, 3 speed bought new in 1965 for $318

f540ef7def785b7b7cc92ed7ac063a53.jpg


I rode the wheels off that thing, and it set me on a path of motorcycling I am still enjoying 53 years later.
Wow, I thought I recognized that bike from somewhere...turns out I saw it on Craigslist just this afternoon. They look like twins!

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/d/harley-davidson-50/6661427997.html
 
My first motorcycle to ride (and crash the same day) was a friend's Honda SL100.
A year later a bought a used 1971 Honda CL450 Scrambler. The front brake cable was frozen up (this was after a front brake lock-up in gravel on the above-mentioned SL100)......
My thoughts were "Why does anyone need a front brake"?
Well, only good things were going to come from this mentality, right? I t-boned a car on a wet street. Fortunately I only suffered a broken left wrist.
Due to some extraordinary circumstances, a few months later I went to work for a small Honda dealership.
Working there, along with a couple of seasoned and gifted riders, I actually learned "how" to ride a motorcycle.
The first new bike I ever owned was a 1975 CB750SS. The rest is history as they say.
 
Lowly beginnings for a farm boy growing up in Kansas: a '64 Cushman Highlander. Hey, it was two wheels!! Quickly learning the disadvantages of small wheels on the dirt, I set my sights on a Harley-Davidson 125 Rapido, but ended up with a '67 Honda S-90 instead.

10c6b4a5139f53b163e3366fa2aafa89.jpg


acb623d0f11ec7659df72946ca000468.jpg
 
Back
Top