redbirds_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Saw this nice conversion on the Knee Slider site. Pretty cool I think.
1977 Honda Gold Wing Cafe Racer
1977 Honda Gold Wing Cafe Racer
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
There's several GWs in the club I occasionally ride with. They seem like a damn car to me, but what the hell. The riders definitely like them, at least they're out there riding. And they do seem to ride them a lot.redbirds_imp said:Body work on this example looks original except for the seat. The manager of the local Honda dealer was a good friend and allowed me a test ride on the first Wing they received back in the '70s. It was a beautiful red, similar to the '13 CB and with gold accents. It was touted as a super bike at that time and had no fairing or any touring accessories. Early non faired bikes appear almost Lilliputian compared with the heavy tourers this breed evolved into.
There's several GWs in the club I occasionally ride with. They seem like a damn car to me, but what the hell. The riders definitely like them, at least they're out there riding. And they do seem to ride them a lot.The Spaceman_imp said:There's several GWs in the club I occasionally ride with. They seem like a damn car to me, but what the hell. The riders definitely like them, at least they're out there riding. And they do seem to ride them a lot.redbirds_imp said:Body work on this example looks original except for the seat. The manager of the local Honda dealer was a good friend and allowed me a test ride on the first Wing they received back in the '70s. It was a beautiful red, similar to the '13 CB and with gold accents. It was touted as a super bike at that time and had no fairing or any touring accessories. Early non faired bikes appear almost Lilliputian compared with the heavy tourers this breed evolved into.
There's several GWs in the club I occasionally ride with. They seem like a damn car to me, but what the hell. The riders definitely like them, at least they're out there riding. And they do seem to ride them a lot.Tortuga_imp said:There's several GWs in the club I occasionally ride with. They seem like a damn car to me, but what the hell. The riders definitely like them, at least they're out there riding. And they do seem to ride them a lot.The Spaceman_imp said:There's several GWs in the club I occasionally ride with. They seem like a damn car to me, but what the hell. The riders definitely like them, at least they're out there riding. And they do seem to ride them a lot.redbirds_imp said:Body work on this example looks original except for the seat. The manager of the local Honda dealer was a good friend and allowed me a test ride on the first Wing they received back in the '70s. It was a beautiful red, similar to the '13 CB and with gold accents. It was touted as a super bike at that time and had no fairing or any touring accessories. Early non faired bikes appear almost Lilliputian compared with the heavy tourers this breed evolved into.
When I was signing up for my CB I got bored and wandered around the showroom, ended up sitting on a new 2013 GoldWang.
It was reduced from something like £26000 to £21000 and looked larger than my dining room table. I just looked at it, thought about the sort of journey you'd need to justify it, then thought WHY???
You lose almost all the benefits a bike offers and lose a lot of the benefits a car or van offers. It's between a rock and a hard place, and at stupid money.
I'd imagine a lot of wealthy old biffs buy them with a rosy lensed view of their use, only to never cross continents, or cruise to the coast for fresh fish, or the bakers in the valley on a Sunday morning for fresh croissants.
No, they sit in the garage, being too intimidating to ride, and thus end up being an overpriced armchair which old fat men sit on in their garage and listen to the radio, maybe with a bandana round their heads.
A big +1 to that!Flynrider_imp said:I really loved the original GL1000. A friend of mine had one and we traded bikes often. I completely lost interest in them when Honda turned them into fully dressed touring bikes.
If I was going to do a resto, I'd just return it to it's stock form.
![]()
define competed :rofl:RetroSeattle_imp said:Believe it or not, this GL1000 competed in the Isle of Man TT.